The Student Room Group

Theresa May Cabinet Reshuffles

Theresa May has sacked George Osbourne as Chancellor and replaced him with Philipp Hammond, she has also given Boris Johnson the role of Foreign Secretary.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-news/theresa-may-uk-cabinet-reshuffle-philip-hammond-boris-johnson-amber-rudd-david-davis-liam-fox-michael-fallon-britain-pm-new-team-2912339/

Politically strategic, or a potential diplomatic catastrophe?

Discuss.
The Foreign Office is not what it was. Prime Ministers increasingly dictate foreign policy, and since for the foreseeable future it will consist of Brexit, it will also have its turf encroached by the the new Trade and Brexit ministries. Plus we are a much diminished force in the world as Brexit rather brutally points out to those who hadn't realised yet.

It is an appointment for internal party reasons, to keep the most dangerous rival in the tent, and a major gamble.

Having said that, twitter is getting worked up about his insult of Obama. He is a lame duck President with only a few months left and power ebbing away visibly so that doesn't matter. Plus, Obama started it with his remarkable statement that Britian would go to the back of the queue in US Trade relations.

Obama insulted our whole country and Johnson was merely responding in kind. Quite reasonably.
Original post by generallee
The Foreign Office is not what it was. Prime Ministers increasingly dictate foreign policy, and since for the foreseeable future it will consist of Brexit, it will also have its turf encroached by the the new Trade and Brexit ministries. Plus we are a much diminished force in the world as Brexit rather brutally points out to those who hadn't realised yet.

It is an appointment for internal party reasons, to keep the most dangerous rival in the tent, and a major gamble.

Having said that, twitter is getting worked up about his insult of Obama. He is a lame duck President with only a few months left and power ebbing away visibly so that doesn't matter. Plus, Obama started it with his remarkable statement that Britian would go to the back of the queue in US Trade relations.

Obama insulted our whole country and Johnson was merely responding in kind. Quite reasonably.

That statement does not make sense.

Obama, as the US President, said the with all the trade deals being done by the US, a single UK trade deal would have to wait until much later and thus be at the back of the queue.

Johnson's response was that Obama's part-Kenyan anscentary that dislikes the UK is the reason why he said that the UK will be at the back of the queue. Really? How stupid can this man be?

It is like asking me for a favour and then you tell me that you have to do other favours for people and mine will be at the back of the queue. My response will then be that your part-English anscentary that dislikes Scottish people is the reason why I will be at the back of the queue. Wouldn't that be a moronic response from me?
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Theresa May has sacked George Osbourne as Chancellor and replaced him with Philipp Hammond, she has also given Boris Johnson the role of Foreign Secretary.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-news/theresa-may-uk-cabinet-reshuffle-philip-hammond-boris-johnson-amber-rudd-david-davis-liam-fox-michael-fallon-britain-pm-new-team-2912339/

Politically strategic, or a potential diplomatic catastrophe?

Discuss.

Boris Johnson's appointment was political, in order to shut him up and derail Theresa May's Premiership.

He won't be able to criticize the Government, if he is in it. Besides some people think that the appointment is in preparation for him becoming Prime Minister. Since people want to see him hold a high office of State before moving to the top job.
Original post by Wired_1800
That statement does not make sense.

Obama, as the US President, said the with all the trade deals being done by the US, a single UK trade deal would have to wait until much later and thus be at the back of the queue.

Johnson's response was that Obama's part-Kenyan anscentary that dislikes the UK is the reason why he said that the UK will be at the back of the queue. Really? How stupid can this man be?

It is like asking me for a favour and then you tell me that you have to do other favours for people and mine will be at the back of the queue. My response will then be that your part-English anscentary that dislikes Scottish people is the reason why I will be at the back of the queue. Wouldn't that be a moronic response from me?

He was pointing out what is well known (but usually politely not remarked on) that Obama is anti British because of colonial baggage on the part of his Kenyan father.

That anti British animus has been evident during his Presidency but really came to the fore with his disastrous intervention in the Referendum. He injudiciously soured bilateral relations by threatening Britain with a punishment beating from a so called ally it it dared to break free from the EU.

I thought Boris' response last night when asked if he would apologise to Obama was characteristically caustic and witty...

"The US will be at the front of the queue."
He was pointing out what is well known (but usually politely not remarked on) that Obama is anti British because of colonial baggage on the part of his Kenyan father.

That anti British animus has been evident during his Presidency but really came to the fore with his disastrous intervention in the Referendum. He injudiciously soured bilateral relations by threatening Britain with a punishment beating from a so called ally it it dared to break free from the EU.

I thought Boris' response last night when asked if he would apologise to Obama was characteristically caustic and witty...

"The US will be at the front of the queue."

I think that Johnson wanted to say something controversial to make headlines. It was very stupid of him to do that.

Claiming that Barack Obama is anti-British because of his father is stupid. Obama and Cameron have had one of the closet partnership or bromance in modern times.

I think it is wrong to try to point out something about someone's ancestary, when they make a stand on something. Arguing that your heritage is the reason for you to disagree with me is just lazy and, to an extent, offensive.
I think that Johnson wanted to say something controversial to make headlines. It was very stupid of him to do that.

Claiming that Barack Obama is anti-British because of his father is stupid. Obama and Cameron have had one of the closet partnership or bromance in modern times.

I think it is wrong to try to point out something about someone's ancestary, when they make a stand on something. Arguing that your heritage is the reason for you to disagree with me is just lazy and, to an extent, offensive.

It is relevant because the ancestry makes the man. The Kenyan bit is not important because he is black (as you no doubt think) but because his father was involved in an extremely bloody terrorist war against British "settlers" which took place in Kenya in the 1950's.

It is all in Obama's autobiography : Dreams from my father

If you put racist anti British sentiment in your own autobiography, don't complain when it is pointed out. No-one would have known if he hadn't revealed the extent of his father's hatred for this country, and the way it it influenced him as a son.

And as I say, no-one can be surprised at his relish that in putting Britain at the back of the queue now. He is doing his father proud.
Y
It is relevant because the ancestry makes the man. The Kenyan bit is not important because he is black (as you no doubt think) but because his father was involved in an extremely bloody terrorist war against British "settlers" which took place in Kenya in the 1950's.

It is all in Obama's autobiography : Dreams from my father

If you put racist anti British sentiment in your own autobiography, don't complain when it is pointed out. No-one would have known if he hadn't revealed the extent of his father's hatred for this country, and the way it it influenced him as a son.

And as I say, no-one can be surprised at his relish that in putting Britain at the back of the queue now. He is doing his father proud.

You see that was the major problem. All sane politicians and political commentators agree that Obama was doing Cameron's bidding by saying that UK will be at the back of the queue, if they wanted to leave the UK.

Many political leaders said the same thing. Even top Politicians like Gove agreed that Obama's claim was just to spook the Leave campaign. Besides, people knew that he would not be President, if any UK-US negotiation happened. So the back of the queue statement was void and only to add to the voices of many political leaders encouraging the UK to stay in the EU.

The big problem was that Johnson decided to single Obama out and attack his ancestary. Merkel said that UK negotiation with the EU will be very difficult and may even take a long time to do i..e. they will be in essence at the back of the queue. However, Boris Johnson did not attack Merkel by mentioning anything about her nation's Nazi past. He knew that the backlash may completely destroy his political career. President Hollande of France said the same thing, but no response from Johnson.

My point is that Johnson targeted Obama because he was an easy target. It was easy to say "Hey, look this half black man's father fought against us in the 1960's, so he has never liked us."

The sad truth was that of the three powerful people in US Politics at the moment (Obama, Clinton and Trump), only Trump said that UK will be at the front of the queue. We all know that it was a political point to gather headlines rather than a well-thought analysis of a possible trade between both countries.

Despite Boris Johnson apparent lack of deep intelligence and his normal buffoonery actions, I think that he is a decent politician and should not say stupid things just to get headlines.
Y

You see that was the major problem. All sane politicians and political commentators agree that Obama was doing Cameron's bidding by saying that UK will be at the back of the queue, if they wanted to leave the UK.

Yes it was a major problem that Obama got involved in something that was nothing to do with the US. A bitter internal dispute for Britain that was none of America's damn business.

So what if it was at Cameron's bidding (and you are right, it was?). Where is Cameron now?

The knock on Obama is not that he was anti British. It is that he should have kept his big Yankee nose out of Brexit.

He (and more importantly his nation) wouldn't appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot and WE got involved in a domestic US matter.

It was stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Boris called him out. Good for him.
Reply 9
Yes it was a major problem that Obama got involved in something that was nothing to do with the US. A bitter internal dispute for Britain that was none of America's damn business.

So what if it was at Cameron's bidding (and you are right, it was?). Where is Cameron now?

The knock on Obama is not that he was anti British. It is that he should have kept his big Yankee nose out of Brexit.

He (and more importantly his nation) wouldn't appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot and WE got involved in a domestic US matter.

Finally someone who understands why Obama shouldn't have commented on the referendum. I thought I was going mad at the time with everyone around me saying it was perfectly reasonable for him to comment.

I disagree.

The British media and others wanted to know the opinions of other world leaders, if the decision was to leave the EU. This was a sense check to see how the UK will do without its EU membership. As other world leaders did, Obama gave his own view as a Head of State to the British media.

You see there are two things Obama could have done. He could have said "Yes, Britain will be at the front of the queue" and be labelled a traitor to Cameron, who clearly wanted American support. Or he could have said "No, Britain will be at the back of the queue" to keep the British Government happy.

As a friend of the UK and a close ally, he did the bidding of the British Government (just like how Tony Blair did it for George Bush with regard to the Iraq War). Unfortunately, he became an easy target to Johnson.

This is despite the fact that Obama was not the first person to give a Presidential or Head of State opinion nor was he the last person.

You will see that the US will punish Boris Johnson for his stupidity. The US never forgets. Let us hope that the US does not pull out their investment from the UK and move them to France or Germany in the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending