The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhyM23

What modules in maths/fm would you recommend learning in order to be as prepared as possible for the pat?
Original post by lawlieto
So basically as it's velocity is decreasing more and more eventually it will not have enough velocity to stay on track? (So at some point gravitational acceleration is going to be decisive against centripetal acceleration?)

Yes, the details are subtle. Just moment before reaching that point, tangential acceleration is required. Though the track is frictionless, in order to touch the track contact force should be non zero. Hence, at some point GPE is desicive against centripetal acceleration but I would give explanation purely in terms of energy.

Option B is good enough approximation during calculations whilst option A is what really happens.
Original post by hellomynameisr
What modules in maths/fm would you recommend learning in order to be as prepared as possible for the pat?

It certainly helps to know C3, C4 and M1, M2 as well. Obviously the more you know/more experience you have with maths the better it is, but I think these 4 are priorities. (But if you know FP2/FP3 very well, C3/C4 will be very easy)

Great, I've started learning C3 and M2 and will finish C4/FP2 over the summer.

Do you have any tips of how to prepare for the physics part of the pat?

I would rather not bother about modules but try to complete basic trigonometry, basic differential and integrational calculus, everything in coordinate geometry relating to cartesian system, projectiles, impulse momentum theorem and circular motion first.
Original post by tangotangopapa2

Ah okay, thank you.

Are there any other general tips you have?
Great, I've started learning C3 and M2 and will finish C4/FP2 over the summer.

Do you have any tips of how to prepare for the physics part of the pat?

Certainly do all the past PAT questions. If you do not understand something, don't leave it out, persevere, and probably ask in this thread like I did :biggrin: (I'm not actually preparing for PAT, I already have an offer from Oxford, but not for physics haha, so my situation is a bit complicated)
I think student Olympiad questions are the most similar to PAT so probably you should do those besides PAT past papers (There's plenty of Olympiad papers, and A2 challenge any many more so you won't run out). A level past papers are OK(ish) but they are very syllabus specific and often repetitive so they're only good for preparing for your exams in June
Certainly do all the past PAT questions. If you do not understand something, don't leave it out, persevere, and probably ask in this thread like I did :biggrin: (I'm not actually preparing for PAT, I already have an offer from Oxford, but not for physics haha, so my situation is a bit complicated)
I think student Olympiad questions are the most similar to PAT so probably you should do those besides PAT past papers (There's plenty of Olympiad papers, and A2 challenge any many more so you won't run out). A level past papers are OK(ish) but they are very syllabus specific and often repetitive so they're only good for preparing for your exams in June

Cool cool

Ah okay, thank you.

Usually students split study sessions into learning sessions and practice sessions and end up having very little time for the latter. This is more true in physics section. When most of the time is spent learning formula of electric potential and practising simple A level question, it is not unusual to get terrified by the question where you need to figure out that you have to use conservation of momentum, conservation of energy and slightly different form of electric potential formula.
While preparing, PAT syllabus and past papers should be your material to study and other resources including textbooks and online resources should be your reference. Attack a question. Guess which revision material/s you need to go through in order to solve the problem and then reattempt it.

Past Papers, British olympiad papers and MAT papers should be enough to prepare.

Oh i totally thought you were preparing for the PAT haha
What subject do you have an offer if you dont mind me asking and congratulations on your hard work, how do you feel :wink:
Ah okay, thank you.

The other two people in this thread have given you excellent and exprienced advice, both of them really know what theyre talking about
My humble advice is to simply practice, practice and some more practice!
its not like alevels were reading is important, you could learn all the textbook wordings but if you dont practice itll be a tough time, so yea solve alot of questions, and plan your time well
Anyone have some links to some good geometry quetions like the one that appeared recently in one of the papers for 6 marks i believe
Reply 132

My apologies for the late reply; I've been out all day!

In terms of modules knowing C3 and C4 differentiation and integration is crucial. M1, M2 and M3 circular motion and SHM are also important. The first chapter of FP2 is also crucial. You don't need to do any FP3 at this stage. Knowing probability to an S1 and S2 level is also very helpful.

In terms of preparation, I personally didn't find the Olympiad papers that helpful. I sticked to the past papers and went through the spec and found individual resources for the various parts, so I wasn't going off track. I didn't know much C4 and C3 or M3 then so if you learn them to a decent level you'll pick up way more marks. :smile:
Original post by NatoHeadshot
The other two people in this thread have given you excellent and exprienced advice, both of them really know what theyre talking about
My humble advice is to simply practice, practice and some more practice!
its not like alevels were reading is important, you could learn all the textbook wordings but if you dont practice itll be a tough time, so yea solve alot of questions, and plan your time well

Original post by PhyM23

In terms of modules knowing C3 and C4 differentiation and integration is crucial. M1, M2 and M3 circular motion and SHM are also important. The first chapter of FP2 is also crucial. You don't need to do any FP3 at this stage. Knowing probability to an S1 and S2 level is also very helpful.

In terms of preparation, I personally didn't find the Olympiad papers that helpful. I sticked to the past papers and went through the spec and found individual resources for the various parts, so I wasn't going off track. I didn't know much C4 and C3 or M3 then so if you learn them to a decent level you'll pick up way more marks. :smile:

Thanks guys :smile:

I'll be sure to do everything you've said and hopefully be able to do pretty well :biggrin:
Original post by PhyM23

What other topics form c3 and c4 do you find crucial? Thanks for all your help again
Do you mean problems on triangles, inscribed circle and circum-circle?

Anyone have some links to some good geometry quetions like the one that appeared recently in one of the papers for 6 marks i believe
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Do you mean problems on triangles, inscribed circle and circum-circle?

Yeah
Yeah

I am out atm. I will try to compile the problems asa i return.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
What other topics form c3 and c4 do you find crucial? Thanks for all your help again

From Edexcel:

C3

Chapters 1, 3 and 4 ( it is also helpful to learn as many trig identities as possible because you may need them for integration/differentiation. E.g to integrate cos2x, you have to rewrite it as [cos(2x)+1]/2 etc.)

C4

Chapters 1, 3, 4 and 5 (I don't think volume of revolution will be required, but it is really easy as you just sub numbers into a formula)

Here is the spec. Look at pages 31-42 for C3 and C4 :smile:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf
Original post by PhyM23
From Edexcel:

C3

Chapters 1, 3 and 4 ( it is also helpful to learn as many trig identities as possible because you may need them for integration/differentiation. E.g to integrate cos2x, you have to rewrite it as [cos(2x)+1]/2 etc.)

C4

Chapters 1, 3, 4 and 5 (I don't think volume of revolution will be required, but it is really easy as you just sub numbers into a formula)

Here is the spec. Look at pages 31-42 for C3 and C4 :smile:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf

I haven't studied most of the identities yet Bu tango posted a sheet with things for the math section to learn what do you think of it

Quick Reply

Latest