The Student Room Group

What engineering fields are best for the future?

Which, in your opinion, will have the most jobs or greatest salary?
Original post by Timlong365
Which, in your opinion, will have the most jobs or greatest salary?

imo...

Comp Sci or Software engineering is the best field right now. There are less engineers in that field than jobs so you are guaranteed yo get a job if you have the right experience, I cant think of an industry which does not require a computer programmer.

Next will will be anything to do with electrical systems/control. Things like self driving cars, autopilots, space crafts, robots are going to be the next big thing and they require a lot of knowledge in electronics/machine learning/AI/ control. So which ever degree where you major in those area will land you a good job. whether being Mechanical, Aerospace or Electrical or Computer Science . As long as you focus in those areas you can get some high paid non-boring jobs.

there might be other fields that are high paid but thats what I can think off. also check out engineering truth on youtube who talk with real engineers about how they find their job.
Reply 2
Original post by bigboateng_
imo...

Comp Sci or Software engineering is the best field right now. There are less engineers in that field than jobs so you are guaranteed yo get a job if you have the right experience, I cant think of an industry which does not require a computer programmer.

Next will will be anything to do with electrical systems/control. Things like self driving cars, autopilots, space crafts, robots are going to be the next big thing and they require a lot of knowledge in electronics/machine learning/AI/ control. So which ever degree where you major in those area will land you a good job. whether being Mechanical, Aerospace or Electrical or Computer Science . As long as you focus in those areas you can get some high paid non-boring jobs.

there might be other fields that are high paid but thats what I can think off. also check out engineering truth on youtube who talk with real engineers about how they find their job.

It's not that straight forward.

http://blog.hefce.ac.uk/2015/07/08/unemployment-among-computer-science-graduates-what-does-the-data-say/

The best career (like the best degree course) is the one you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a broad question... do you mean engineering field in terms of academic discipline (e.g. mechanical, civil etc.) or industrial field?

This is very difficult to predict, and also depends on the amount wishing to enter the field as well.

For example, five years ago oil & gas was hot stuff, with companies expecting to grow to meet current and new orders. But now things are different.

At the turn of the decade, I don't think many people would have thought that the automotive industry would be as strong as it is currently. At the moment, within mechanical engineering it seems that building services/HVAC is one of biggest recruiting fields.

I think the best bet is to pick the discipline which most interests you, and see where it takes you. Because in order to get a job, you have to display at least some degree of competency in your chosen discipline, and it's much easier to do this if it actually interests you.
(edited 7 years ago)

I skimmed through the site, it shows computer science jobs are declining (?), but that sounds like bs tbh,
at this current age every company can make use of a software developer. If you can code well and have no job, you can easily convince a company on why they should hire you. Every company will benefit from apps, websites or even internal tools that will make their product/services more efficient. Also software engineering is the easiest to do start up in (ish- depends on scale), even I'm working with some friends on an app which will launch in a couple of weeks (and will make us couple of bucks :wink:). Also that trend (which only goes to 2014) is just for UK (?), there are tons of jobs abroad. I will be surprised that someone who is very proficient at coding and has experience will even struggle to find a high paying job. The problem is most people come out with no experience thats why they dont get jobs.

The best career (like the best degree course) is the one you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, OP said most jobs or highest paying

Quick Reply

Latest