The Student Room Group

in YOUR opinion, how hard would you say it is to get a first

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Quantex
It's not as hard as some make out. It does require organisation and constant commitment but you don't need to flagellate yourself to achieve it. You also need to understand how your work is marked to understand how to push yourself into a first.

we have a grading criteria...i should probably look at it more tbh lol
Original post by shawtyb
im legit shocked that my uni ranks better!! :O

there is but id rather try and get a 2:1. it would be my biggest acheivment (spelt wrong i know)

I can't believe UCL is 12th and Surrey is 4th...I guess student satisfaction carries a lot of weight!
Reply 22
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
I can't believe UCL is 12th and Surrey is 4th...I guess student satisfaction carries a lot of weight!

i thought essex uni would be further down but apparently not
Original post by shawtyb
i thought essex uni would be further down but apparently not

It scores well on student satisfaction :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
i dont think il manage it, do you think you could get one?

Got a first in history in my first year at Warwick. It is doable, but I think next year will be even harder.
Very hard and in my opinion, completely not worth the effort. If you have at least a 2:1, you'll be good for the majority of post uni careers or masters programmes. What matters more is extra curricular activities, such as volunteering, getting involved with society committees, summer internships and study abroad. Doing these things will equip you with skills that are essential when compiling a strong application for jobs after uni.
I got straight firsts in the second year of my course, I put a reasonable amount of effort in but it was mostly down to my critical analysis being really good and knowing exactly what they were after.
Original post by shawtyb
i dont think il manage it, do you think you could get one?

Well I got a first in my Economics degree a few years ago.
I think the key for me was to keep up to date and be structured and organised through the semister. This made it easier for me to take one/two weeks off in the holidays and then study for the exams.
I got around 78% in the first year, then 65ish% in the second year(was borderline 2:2 after the first semister in year 2) and this gave me a little kick to try and get a first. I ended up with a first overall with 7/8 modules being a first in my final year.

I think I find that people who tend to do better have a rough plan in place and execute it well or have good exam technique and understand what the examiner is looking for and I think both are needed to get a good grade at University tbh. I still use similar techniques for the further qualifications I am doing now.
Reply 28
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Got a first in history in my first year at Warwick. It is doable, but I think next year will be even harder.

first yr dont count lol wish it did

Original post by super_kawaii
Very hard and in my opinion, completely not worth the effort. If you have at least a 2:1, you'll be good for the majority of post uni careers or masters programmes. What matters more is extra curricular activities, such as volunteering, getting involved with society committees, summer internships and study abroad. Doing these things will equip you with skills that are essential when compiling a strong application for jobs after uni.

i cant do most of those unfortunatly but im aiming for a 2:1 at least (LOL)

Original post by claireestelle
I got straight firsts in the second year of my course, I put a reasonable amount of effort in but it was mostly down to my critical analysis being really good and knowing exactly what they were after.

how did u know EXACTLY what they were after? did u ask specifically?

Original post by samiz20891
Well I got a first in my Economics degree a few years ago.
I think the key for me was to keep up to date and be structured and organised through the semister. This made it easier for me to take one/two weeks off in the holidays and then study for the exams.
I got around 78% in the first year, then 65ish% in the second year(was borderline 2:2 after the first semister in year 2) and this gave me a little kick to try and get a first. I ended up with a first overall with 7/8 modules being a first in my final year.

I think I find that people who tend to do better have a rough plan in place and execute it well or have good exam technique and understand what the examiner is looking for and I think both are needed to get a good grade at University tbh. I still use similar techniques for the further qualifications I am doing now.

thats good! i guess that kick worked!
must have worked hard to go up 2 classifications
all of mine is assignment based, no exams
Original post by shawtyb
i cant do most of those unfortunatly but im aiming for a 2:1 at least (LOL)

You should get some experience outside of your course because extra curriculars are essential when applying to graduate jobs.

I've just graduated uni with a 2:1 and already have a graduate job lined up. They wanted to confirm that I had a 2:1 from somewhere and that was the end of the academic side of my profile. Everything else about the interview was about what I'd done outside the classroom and how that made me fit the person spec and therefore made me the perfect candidate for the job.

Do not underestimate how influential in your future non academic things are. Once you've been working a few years, they won't even ask for your degree. It'll ALL be about your non academic experience and what you learnt from it
Reply 30
You should get some experience outside of your course because extra curriculars are essential when applying to graduate jobs.

I've just graduated uni with a 2:1 and already have a graduate job lined up. They wanted to confirm that I had a 2:1 from somewhere and that was the end of the academic side of my profile. Everything else about the interview was about what I'd done outside the classroom and how that made me fit the person spec and therefore made me the perfect candidate for the job.

Do not underestimate how influential in your future non academic things are. Once you've been working a few years, they won't even ask for your degree. It'll ALL be about your non academic experience and what you learnt from it

well its a little hard to find things to do with 3 kids...
Original post by shawtyb
well its a little hard to find things to do with 3 kids...

I can understand it's hard with children, but it is still essential. Employers do expect to see more than just a degree certificate
Reply 32
I can understand it's hard with children, but it is still essential. Employers do expect to see more than just a degree certificate

so what would you suggest?
childminding is out of the option list as i cant afford it
Original post by shawtyb
so what would you suggest?
childminding is out of the option list as i cant afford it

https://www.enterprisealive.co.uk/connect-with-us/10-non-academic-activities-that-will-get-help-you-get-a-job/

All things you can do around your classes
I did an essay subject, and got a first. It took hard work, but not to the extent I sacrificed extra curriculars. I worked every summer, had an internship and various work experience placements, volunteered In the community and on campus and played sport at uni. These things are far more important, and you should only aim for a first if you can pursue these things at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

Original post by hermitthefrog
I did an essay subject, and got a first. It took hard work, but not to the extent I sacrificed extra curriculars. I worked every summer, had an internship and various work experience placements, volunteered In the community and on campus and played sport at uni. These things are far more important, and you should only aim for a first if you can pursue these things at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i feel now is the time to mention i do my degree via distance learning and not on or near a campus
Original post by shawtyb
i feel now is the time to mention i do my degree via distance learning and not on or near a campus

Then that does make it even more difficult as so many of the things you're expected to do are available on campus

Do you already have experience in a career or not? Because you could relate that to why you're doing the course you want to do
Reply 37
Then that does make it even more difficult as so many of the things you're expected to do are available on campus

Do you already have experience in a career or not? Because you could relate that to why you're doing the course you want to do

nope.
its management so quite a hard career to get experience in
Original post by shawtyb
nope.
its management so quite a hard career to get experience in

Have you thought about maybe starting your own business? It's something you could organise around studying and your children, and would give you experience in business/management, as well as showing initiative which is seen as a positive in the sector
Reply 39
Have you thought about maybe starting your own business? It's something you could organise around studying and your children, and would give you experience in business/management, as well as showing initiative which is seen as a positive in the sector

i have thought about it but i dont know what to do with it like what sort of business i wana do...if that makes sense?
i have no talents, i cant make stuff and im not creative so im stuck for ideas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending