The Student Room Group

Why date a less attractive girl?

I've been wondering for a while, why is it that guys (and girls) don't pick the most attractive girl to date? I know, and I've been told a few times, I'm not a particularly interesting or nice person to look at and I don't feel like I have a hugely attractive personality either. I'm probably a 5 at best, with makeup and spending hours trying to look okay.
But my boyfriend was interested in this girl a year or so ago, who he thinks was also interested in him, and he told me she was probably an 8, though neither of us like to rate people.
He's never had a girlfriend before me, despite liking this girl for months on end, as he said it just didn't feel right with her. I suspect he was scared of rejection though, since I had to make most moves to get us together.
So I've been wondering, though I daren't bring it up to him because he knows I'm insecure already and I don't want to ruin this, why is it he didn't go with an 8 (easily one of the most attractive girls he's probably met) but chose me, who is obviously not the prettiest girl and has some self-confidence issues herself? This girl is his type as well, skinny and beautiful but with big "assets" and I'm a much larger girl with a plain face.
-I know I need to work on my insecurity but I've hated myself since I was young and I'm not sure how to stop disliking how I look, but the question here isn't about my issues-

Scroll to see replies

Because being attractive isn't everything. I can't see myself dating an attractive guy with a bad personality. You can be attractive and rude. Attractive and boring. Attractive and unintelligent. Attractive and broke. Looks just don't cut it only for me.
Reply 2
Whilst looks are an important part of attraction (more, or less dependent on the person) they aren't the ONLY factor that makes someone attractive, it's a combination of lots of other things, especially when it comes to a long term relationship.e.g. compatibility, intelligence, even simple things like bad habits etc. Once you get over the looks, there needs to be other things going for you. For example, there have been, objectively speaking, average looking guys that I have been really attracted to because of how they act/carry themselves and guys that have been aesthetically good looking that I wasn't attracted to because they didn't have much else going for them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by loveleest
Because being attractive isn't everything. I can't see myself dating an attractive guy with a bad personality. You can be attractive and rude. Attractive and boring. Attractive and unintelligent. Attractive and broke. Looks just don't cut it only for me.

That's a very good point! Looks certainly aren't everything, but what if she's beautiful, with a beautiful body, smart, funny, lovely and intelligent? I'm just confused why you'd pass that up?
Sorry to sound harsh but it sounds like he 'settled' He was too insecure/not confident enough to make a move on the more attractive girl. It sounds like you have very low self-esteem so you need to work on it- it'll be hard and time consuming but you'll definitely be able to do it! And you mentioned that you're a 'large girl' with a 'plain face' - well you can change these things (the latter only to an extent) by losing weight (will also make your face look better) and wearing nice makeup.
Personality, intelligence, good company. You dont really knwo what the other girl was like and also maybe it made your bf uncomfy?
Because it's not all about looks. I've met hot girls with terrible personalities and I'd never even consider asking them out. I've met average looking girls (Hell I'm an average looking guy, no double standards) and we get along so well it pushes them to an 8 or 9. If a girl isn't that attractive but is confident, fairly intelligent, is motivated to do something with their life and has a sense of humour it really doesn't matter to me.
Maybe because you're genuinely interesting to him, looks aren't everything, she could be an 8 but she also could be boring asf
Original post by Anonymous
That's a very good point! Looks certainly aren't everything, but what if she's beautiful, with a beautiful body, smart, funny, lovely and intelligent? I'm just confused why you'd pass that up?

Well it depends really. Some guys might feel a little intimidated by beautiful, intelligent girls and some guys might want to date a girl that isn't way out of his league and also maybe for insecurity reasons e.g the girl being more attractive= More likely to cheat or a girl being more attractive= Her sleeping around with more guys. But I don't really know precisely. It depends for different guys.
I've been wondering for a while, why is it that guys (and girls) don't pick the most attractive girl to date? I know, and I've been told a few times, I'm not a particularly interesting or nice person to look at and I don't feel like I have a hugely attractive personality either. I'm probably a 5 at best, with makeup and spending hours trying to look okay.
But my boyfriend was interested in this girl a year or so ago, who he thinks was also interested in him, and he told me she was probably an 8, though neither of us like to rate people.
He's never had a girlfriend before me, despite liking this girl for months on end, as he said it just didn't feel right with her. I suspect he was scared of rejection though, since I had to make most moves to get us together.
So I've been wondering, though I daren't bring it up to him because he knows I'm insecure already and I don't want to ruin this, why is it he didn't go with an 8 (easily one of the most attractive girls he's probably met) but chose me, who is obviously not the prettiest girl and has some self-confidence issues herself? This girl is his type as well, skinny and beautiful but with big "assets" and I'm a much larger girl with a plain face.
-I know I need to work on my insecurity but I've hated myself since I was young and I'm not sure how to stop disliking how I look, but the question here isn't about my issues-

:K: oh God bless you seriously. :s-smilie: You've found a decent lad and still unhappy. And also he didn't "pick" anything. You're not in a line up. He likes you...men don't do anything in any particular way uniformly either.
People probs do it so they can have something stable and there is like no risk of them cheating on you. If they wanted to they could cheat Behind the persons back. These people sometimes have mental health issues and depression etc anyway which makes their self esteem proper low so there is little chance of them letting go of you so to speak, they will be very clingy and probably bow to your every demand as they don't want to be single. It's an irrational fear for these people
Original post by Protoxylic
Maybe because you're genuinely interesting to him, looks aren't everything, she could be an 8 but she also could be boring asf

or arrogant asf

Because everyone is different and what works for the goose doesnt necessarily work for the gander.

Myself and my best friend were like this when we first met, there was an attraction for both of us and for awhile there was a will we/wont we period.

But it didnt happen and looking back probably a good thing. I now have a partner who is very attractive, funny, smart, affectionate etc etc. And myself and my best friend can just get on with being very close friends
Personality. I'd rather date a less attractive person who could hold a conversation than an attractive person with the charisma of a potato.
We all know that one girl with a 9/10 face but nothing behind the eyes.

If he was after looks, he would have gone with a one night stand, or fwb. But he didn't, he chose a relationship with you instead
Reply 15
I only go for the sexy girls yah
Sorry to sound harsh but it sounds like he 'settled' He was too insecure/not confident enough to make a move on the more attractive girl. It sounds like you have very low self-esteem so you need to work on it- it'll be hard and time consuming but you'll definitely be able to do it! And you mentioned that you're a 'large girl' with a 'plain face' - well you can change these things (the latter only to an extent) by losing weight (will also make your face look better) and wearing nice makeup.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but, if he's settled for me, why would I bother to do that? If I'm going to lose weight, which I am currently doing, it'll be for me and not to keep a guy that doesn't even want me surely?:s-smilie:
He's very confident in his looks and he knows he looks good, so he could get a very attractive girl easily and deep down I think he knows that. He just said that he was attracted to me but only found her attractive, wasn't actually attracted to her but I'm not sure. He tells me I'm the most beautiful girl to him and he loves my personality but I can see she's more beautiful so that's what confuses me.
Original post by neal95
People probs do it so they can have something stable and there is like no risk of them cheating on you. If they wanted to they could cheat Behind the persons back. These people sometimes have mental health issues and depression etc anyway which makes their self esteem proper low so there is little chance of them letting go of you so to speak, they will be very clingy and probably bow to your every demand as they don't want to be single. It's an irrational fear for these people

He's not clingy in the slightest and has quite high self esteem in how he looks, though less so in his ability to talk to people, so I feel like that isn't it.
He's not clingy in the slightest and has quite high self esteem in how he looks, though less so in his ability to talk to people, so I feel like that isn't it.

I was thinking more from the woman's perspective I.e that's why males date unnatracitve women
Original post by Dr.Snack
I only go for the sexy girls yah

lmao why the **** did you say it like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending