The Student Room Group

What do you think about all the really old threads on TSR?

I wondered what you all thought about the fact TSR has lots of really old threads that are still active. E.g. a number of the really popular big threads on TSR are from 2014, 2013 etc.

How do you feel about that?

Scroll to see replies

Happy to see it! Shows that our community can bond with each other well, reduces off-topic, spammy threads and doesn't generally cause me a problem.
The troll threads were far better :tongue: It's quite fun to read.
Original post by Captain Jack
I wondered what you all thought about the fact TSR has lots of really old threads that are still active. E.g. a number of the really popular big threads on TSR are from 2014, 2013 etc.

Those which are still active clearly still serve a purpose. Those which aren't still active drop off the bottom naturally. If an old thread is revived and is of no use, then we close it. If it is still useful, we leave it to run. There isn't a problem that I can see.
Do you think it gives the wrong impression that TSR is outdated?
(...)

Some never get old. Be it threads for foreign languages, for Snooker, Tennis, Football, Sciences etc. As those threads are connected with founded societies or linked to up to date events, they have almost a run. And that is okay.

No no no no no no. Absolutely not.

Makes time travel possible... Sort of
Original post by iEthan
No no no no no no. Absolutely not.

How come?
How come?

It just doesn't! I use so many other forums that lock threads after X amount of time and it's a bit sad - all I've seen it do is upset the users and cause them to simply start another thread. My view is… as long as the threads are active (10,000 posts can take a loooooooong time), there's no problem. It's good to see what users said, even if they're not active like they were before. The discussions generated by these older threads are still topical and relevant and it, for me, gives the impression that we're a close-knit community that can still carry on with a topic despite it being started years ago. I think that's something really cool about our community and I would love to see it continue!

Any old threads which are still active are, as CLR says, still serving a useful purpose. I can't imagine why people would be put off reading threads or posting in them just because the original post is old. Rather than creating the impression that TSR is out of date, to me old threads create a nice sense of continuity and community.
v useful

tfw you found advice on getting internships from 2008

Gosh, no! if there is still a thread about cold war or the reunion of Germany, I would change my mind and think TSR is outdated.
I thought you meant threads from 2005 when you said 'really old'...
I love reading threads from 2004 2005
Original post by lolakirk
I thought you meant threads from 2005 when you said 'really old'...

I thought he meant threads just before the turn of millenium. 2005, come on that is young. Maybe there is the first TSR post of the first TSR thread by the first TSR member somewhere...
Original post by Kallisto
I thought he meant threads just before the turn of millenium. 2005, come on that is young. Maybe there is the first TSR post of the first TSR thread by the first TSR member somewhere...

Now I'm wondering whether that's still up? I don't know if the oldest posts have been automatically deleted since they are so old. Some forums just automatically delete ancient threads.
Original post by Kallisto

TSR used to be known as UK-Learning back in those days. As far as I know, there was a problem and they had to delete all of the old threads pre-2004/2003 so that's all unknown and faded into obscurity. :iiam: I think the oldest user is currently… @matthew who has one of the first IDs! (6th member, the other one is Anonymous and the other IDs belong to since deleted members).

Original post by lolakirk
Now I'm wondering whether that's still up? I don't know if the oldest posts have been automatically deleted since they are so old. Some forums just automatically delete ancient threads.

Nope, we don't ever hard delete threads. Threads made before 2007 I think are closed though. :smile:
Reply 18
I don't mind the old threads. Just hate it when someone revives a thread which is like 5 years old. For the love of God, please, make a new thread.
I know people who reply to threads from like 2009 and I just think whyyy loool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending