The Student Room Group

Not entitled to JSA - extremely confusing letter!

So... I have just got this letter

'We cannot pay you jobseekers allowance from 27 June

- because you have not paid, or been credited with, enough class 1 national insurance contributions and

-you have more money coming in than the law says you need to live on.

We have used the tax years ending 5 april and 5 april 2014 to assess your claim'

1, I applied for Jobseekers earlier this year and I got jobseekers that time, even though I hadnt paid any national insurance contributions or whatever by then either. What does JSA have to do with your NI contributions?

2, I do not have more money coming in than the law says I need to live on. I have a part time job, less than 16 hours which pays minimum wage and I have no other savings, income or anything. They know this, I brought my payslips to my JSA appointments

3, How could you use the tax year from 2-3 years ago when I wasnt even working or living in this country at that time to assess my claim in 2016?

Can someone please shed light on what I am missing...?
(edited 7 years ago)
There's income based and contributions based jsa. Contributions based is paid to people who have worked within the last 2-3 years and not based on income.
Original post by Tiger Rag
There's income based and contributions based jsa. Contributions based is paid to people who have worked within the last 2-3 years and not based on income.

I know that. I applied for income based JSA.
Original post by arcenciel21
I know that. I applied for income based JSA.

Is your income less than your applicable amount?
Is your capital over 6-16k? I believe those parameters would affect your IS
Do you live with someone? Have kids?
Citizens Advice Bureau. Contact em.
When you brought your payslips what did they say?
Is there anything different you did between applying for JSA before and not receiving now?
Original post by 0to100
Is your income less than your applicable amount?
Is your capital over 6-16k? I believe those parameters would affect your IS
Do you live with someone? Have kids?
Citizens Advice Bureau. Contact em.
When you brought your payslips what did they say?
Is there anything different you did between applying for JSA before and not receiving now?

I have already said in my OP that I dont have any savings or income or any other money aside from my less than 16 hours part time job. I live with friends (students) and dont have kids, my payslips are completely fine. No, I didnt do anyting differently, I just did the rapid-reclaim online.
Original post by arcenciel21
I have already said in my OP that I dont have any savings or income or any other money aside from my less than 16 hours part time job. I live with friends (students) and dont have kids, my payslips are completely fine. No, I didnt do anyting differently, I just did the rapid-reclaim online.

well contact them ini I've claimed income based JSA before and never dealt with this so if you say everything is sorted contact CAB
there has to be something on your end, it don't just stop...look over the fine print or summat

Quick Reply

Latest