The Student Room Group

If Brexiters are so confident of victory then should they accept a second referendum?

I'm fed up of Brexiters harping on about democracy and that there should not be a second referendum.

Well if they are so confident of Britians hatred of the EU and so passionate about democracy then they should relish a second referendum.

But the reality is Brexiters are Scared of losing. They know fine well that a lot of Brexit voters now regret what they did. Many thought it would never happen. So take them aside.
Then among the Brexit voters are some realists who never thought of the mess that we are now in that soon all that may be left of the Great Britain they love is England totally on its own, without Scotland or NI or the protection of the EU. Take them aside and you've probably got less than 40% pro Brexit and over 60% remain.

Of that 40% you've got mostly retired people who arn't worried about recessions, unemployment or loss of EU funding of vocational training and further education, that's around 20% And of course nationalists and small minded racist bigots making up the rest.

We want a second referendum, its in the interests of the majority!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you win one why have another... we have one so you don't like the result? Get over it you lost.
Reply 2
Waste of time and money. People were largely misled but I don't trust new campaigns to do a better job.
Original post by Ambitious1999

But the reality is Brexiters are Scared of losing.

The Brexit argument has been won. Nobody in their right mind willingly re-opens an already-completed argument when they have already won.

Would you, having already survived the first revolver barrel in Russian roulette, willing prove your bravery by going for the second and third barrels?
Reply 4
Original post by Tigger46
Waste of time and money. People were largely misled but I don't trust new campaigns to do a better job.

Misled... aka Brexitters are idiots who are misled like a child that needs direction? This kind of attitude is what helped us win.
Reply 5
Original post by Karosan
Misled... aka Brexitters are idiots who are misled like a child that needs direction? This kind of attitude is what helped us win.

A lot of people were misled about what Brexit would mean and also given false promises. Never said Brexitters were idiots, it happens at every general election too.
The public may well hate brexit by 2018, love it again by 2020 and despise it again at 2023. But it's not the job of the Government to change the course of the ship after every change of public opinion. Their job is to set a long-term course which may be adjusted over the years.

Sometimes you just have to take people at their word. We can't have people changing their minds every 5 mins.

A ship that spends 5 years going forward and then 5 years going backwards is in the same spot, despite sailing for 10 years!

Referendum != Neverendum.
SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
The Brexit argument has been won. Nobody in their right mind willingly re-opens an already-completed argument when they have already won.

Would you, having already survived the first revolver barrel in Russian roulette, willing prove your bravery by going for the second and third barrels?

It was won by only 4% (52-48) a lot of those who voted Brexit now regret that they did. Take that into account and a second referendum would be a more serious vote with a clear victory for remain.

6 million have signed a petition wanting a second referendum.

75% of Scots want to remain in the EU.
Reply 8
Don't feed the troll
Reply 9
Remainiacs really live in an alternate reality.
I thought these threads would be gone by now
Reply 11
It was won by only 4% (52-48) a lot of those who voted Brexit now regret that they did. Take that into account and a second referendum would be a more serious vote with a clear victory for remain.

1% of Brexiteers regret their decision. 4% of Remainiacs regret their decision. :dunce:
Reply 12

1. If remain had won by 52-48 would you support a second referendum?
2. That petition which had tens of thousands of signatures removed because people claimed they live in north korea, which has caused the petition to come under investigation for fraud? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407
3. Yes the majority of Scots want to stay?... and? They are part of the UK and they recently voted to stay part of it.

Sorry all of your points have been debunked, just get over it- YOU LOST.
Original post by Supersaps
The public may well hate brexit by 2018, love it again by 2020 and despise it again at 2023. But it's not the job of the Government to change the course of the ship after every change of public opinion. Their job is to set a long-term course which may be adjusted over the years.

Sometimes you just have to take people at their word. We can't have people changing their minds every 5 mins.

A ship that spends 5 years going forward and then 5 years going backwards is in the same spot, despite sailing for 10 years!

Referendum != Neverendum.
SS

I agree for the most part despite being on the other team.

However I'm not opposed to the idea of a referendum based on the outcome of the exit negotiations when everyone has a clearer picture about what the future will entail.
Reply 14
Original post by TelAviv
I thought these threads would be gone by now

2 weeks you would think they would of just accepted democracy... apparently there are still some who like the EU hate the decision of the people.
Tbh, I would only contemplate going through his horrendous campaign again, if the UK government is unable to get access to the single market.

However, I doubt that will be the case. The UK will remain outside of the EU for the next few years.
Original post by Karosan
2 weeks you would think they would of just accepted democracy... apparently there are still some who like the EU hate the decision of the people.

Yes and there are also people that don't want and want a 2nd referendum. So maybe you should accept that as well if you "accept" democracy.
Original post by Good bloke

Have you ever watched Rocky 1 and Rocky 2?

He managed to go the distance with Apollo Creed in Rocky 1. That was all that he needed to do to win the challenge.

But in Rocky 2 Creed demanded a rematch. At first Rocky refused and was branded a coward and looked down on. But later he agreed to the rematch and won and became the greatest fighter ever!

With Brexiters refusing a second referendum, they are being cowards, we look down on them. But they have the chance to prove they can win again and be great, for their sake lets hope they take that opportunity.

Let's remember too that every problem this country endures because of Brexit and refusal to have a second referendum such as cuts, unemployment, EU funded training and apprenticeships cut, benefits cut, homelessness, child poverty etc we will blame that on the cowards (probably less than 40%) who would not accept a second referendum. Brexit will become a new swear word for everything that goes wrong.

Love Brexit? Be strong, be proud show what you're made of and that you can take on the remainers. Love Brexit and show it by a Second referendum!
Original post by DorianGrayism
Tbh, I would only contemplate going through his horrendous campaign again, if the UK government is unable to get access to the single market.

However, I doubt that will be the case. The UK will remain outside of the EU for the next few years.

I think we'll end up joining EFTA and get a Norway style deal making the whole escapade largely pointless(but then I'm a cynical ****er:smile:)
Original post by JamesN88
I agree for the most part despite being on the other team.

However I'm not opposed to the idea of a referendum based on the outcome of the exit negotiations when everyone has a clearer picture about what the future will entail.

Right. I wish that the EU had given us a proper negotiation and then we could have had a real referendum between a sensible negotiated membership and a brexit. I do think if we'd gotten a decent deal 90% of people would have voted to stay in.

Sadly, that wasn't to be as the EU didn't take a Brexit seriously. So, we've ended up in this position where no one knows what's going on!

Latest