The Student Room Group

in YOUR opinion, how hard would you say it is to get a first

Scroll to see replies

I'm on track for a first overall providing nothing goes tits up this coming year. Was it hard to do? Not really, no. Did it require me to not waste most of my time as my peers did? Yes.

That said, don't get the impression that I've spent the last two years in the library and have never missed a single class. Some modules I've skipped around 35% of the lectures, kinda out of boredom as it's just as easy to read the powerpoints and do my own research where necessary. Last semester I went to the weekly practical session a grand total of once so I'm not exactly the 100%'er type.

All I made sure was that when it came around to coursework, I gave myself enough time (though hardly started the day they were set) and forced myself to work in my room or the library with no distractions for a few weeks. Pushed myself to learn some more complex CS stuff and ended up getting some of the highest grades overall on my course. My flatmates were going out a few times a week and procrastinating 75% of the time in comparison thus ended up with grades ranging from 30-60%. Luckily my course is mostly coursework based as it's CS, if I had exams then I'd probably have had to study more but the same principle holds.
Original post by shawtyb
i dont think il manage it, do you think you could get one?

With all honestly, I think it is fairly easy to get a First. Although it doesn't count, I have just finished my first year with a 89% overall, I didn't feel like I have worked that hard (not indending to brag, although it looks like it)

More objectively, the chances to get a First vary with the kind of subject you are taking..
Reply 62
Original post by JayB4098
I'm on track for a first overall providing nothing goes tits up this coming year. Was it hard to do? Not really, no. Did it require me to not waste most of my time as my peers did? Yes.

That said, don't get the impression that I've spent the last two years in the library and have never missed a single class. Some modules I've skipped around 35% of the lectures, kinda out of boredom as it's just as easy to read the powerpoints and do my own research where necessary. Last semester I went to the weekly practical session a grand total of once so I'm not exactly the 100%'er type.

All I made sure was that when it came around to coursework, I gave myself enough time (though hardly started the day they were set) and forced myself to work in my room or the library with no distractions for a few weeks. Pushed myself to learn some more complex CS stuff and ended up getting some of the highest grades overall on my course. My flatmates were going out a few times a week and procrastinating 75% of the time in comparison thus ended up with grades ranging from 30-60%. Luckily my course is mostly coursework based as it's CS, if I had exams then I'd probably have had to study more but the same principle holds.

what is CS? lol
and my course is all assignment based, though i think id prefer exams
Reply 63
Original post by mariakrelifa50
With all honestly, I think it is fairly easy to get a First. Although it doesn't count, I have just finished my first year with a 89% overall, I didn't feel like I have worked that hard (not indending to brag, although it looks like it)

More objectively, the chances to get a First vary with the kind of subject you are taking..

business management
im not sure of my first year grade, il have to ask...im curious now
Original post by Platopus
Honestly, I'm aiming for a 2:2. I think anything less might be problematic but anything more would be a bonus.

You are definite 2:1 material. Dont be shy.

Oh and for the OP it really depends on a lot of factors, commitment, determination and how bright you are in the first place. Also depends on course.

One thing that struck me is that some students have a big advantage based on their education. They are tested and coached more rigorusly to begin with to attain higher standards, to question and challenge. Its not that they have to be brighter, they just know or have been coached in how to do better work. This is a significant advantage. Your texbooks will only get you so far.

I think plentu of students could learn this and have the ability, its just never explained to them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
You are definite 2:1 material. Dont be shy.

Aww thank you!
I think it's just entirely dependent on how much you're willing to put into getting it. I'm on like 68% overall going into third year, so I'm not in a bad situation so to speak, I will just have to try that bit harder for the next year! It's my damn electives that let me down :frown:
Original post by shawtyb
i dont think il manage it, do you think you could get one?

Depends entirely on the course. A course like Physics for example, which is very mathematical, if you revise well then you can get very high marks and by that I mean 80/90. A course such as Economics/Psychology or a humanities/essay-based subject, it becomes much harder.

Overall though its perfectly possible to get a 1st - but a 1st is usually given to the top 10% of performers in the group.*
Reply 68
Original post by PugDevil
I think it's just entirely dependent on how much you're willing to put into getting it. I'm on like 68% overall going into third year, so I'm not in a bad situation so to speak, I will just have to try that bit harder for the next year! It's my damn electives that let me down :frown:

only a few e% off!

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Before starting the degree I was constantly told that it was extremely difficult to get a 1st in any degree, let alone a scientific one so during first year I didn't expect to end up with one. However, I worked hard and ended up with a very good 1st in my Master's degree although if I'm being honest I didn't work half as hard as I could have done.

thats good!

Original post by Fas
Depends entirely on the course. A course like Physics for example, which is very mathematical, if you revise well then you can get very high marks and by that I mean 80/90. A course such as Economics/Psychology or a humanities/essay-based subject, it becomes much harder.

Overall though its perfectly possible to get a 1st - but a 1st is usually given to the top 10% of performers in the group.*

not me then lmao
Original post by shawtyb
business management
im not sure of my first year grade, il have to ask...im curious now

Emm, I guess management is quite a wordy subject, so it is hard to get everything right and score high..

Hahah, you definitely should.. Still matters a bit.
I got one, it wasn't that hard as I got and fluke 94% for a piece of highly weighted coursework - was expecting a mid range 2.1*
Reply 71
Original post by mariakrelifa50
Emm, I guess management is quite a wordy subject, so it is hard to get everything right and score high..

Hahah, you definitely should.. Still matters a bit.

yh its hardish but not totally
I just scraped a first this year. I didn't put that much effort into it and missed loads of lectures (let's not get into that!)

I think my degree is fairly straight forward. Whilst I didn't do perfectly in all my work, I did okay because the exams are fair, my degree is basically just a memory game because I pick modules that interest me and that don't have loads of difficult concepts. I actually find my degree exams easier than A level exams because they're not out to trick you and there isn't a strict mark scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawtyb
only a few e% off!

thats good!

not me then lmao

Honestly not the end of the world if you don't get a 1st. Obviously having a 1st will make your overall profile look good when it comes to job-hunting, but having *2:1 won;t stop you getting the same interviews as the guy with the 1st - but when you get the interview it'll be entirely down to you as a person, what you've done with your life, your personality etc. In reality a 1st really doesn't add much beyond the interview stage.
Reply 74
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I got one, it wasn't that hard as I got and fluke 94% for a piece of highly weighted coursework - was expecting a mid range 2.1*

cool!

Original post by Changing Skies
I just scraped a first this year. I didn't put that much effort into it and missed loads of lectures (let's not get into that!)

I think my degree is fairly straight forward. Whilst I didn't do perfectly in all my work, I did okay because the exams are fair, my degree is basically just a memory game because I pick modules that interest me and that don't have loads of difficult concepts. I actually find my degree exams easier than A level exams because they're not out to trick you and there isn't a strict mark scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats smart lol wish mine was exam based :frown:
think youl do harder this yr?

Original post by Fas
Honestly not the end of the world if you don't get a 1st. Obviously having a 1st will make your overall profile look good when it comes to job-hunting, but having *2:1 won;t stop you getting the same interviews as the guy with the 1st - but when you get the interview it'll be entirely down to you as a person, what you've done with your life, your personality etc. In reality a 1st really doesn't add much beyond the interview stage.

that makes me feel alot better <3
Original post by shawtyb
cool!

thats smart lol wish mine was exam based :frown:
think youl do harder this yr?

that makes me feel alot better <3

No worries. Genuinely, the closest you'll come to declaring your degree grade, will be on the application form where it says "tick if you have a 2:1 or above" :tongue:*
Original post by shawtyb

how did u know EXACTLY what they were after? did u ask specifically?

Marking criteria and always worked on any feedback they gave me,they were quite specific with assignment questions too.
Reply 77
Original post by Fas
No worries. Genuinely, the closest you'll come to declaring your degree grade, will be on the application form where it says "tick if you have a 2:1 or above" :tongue:*

that is true!

Original post by claireestelle
Marking criteria and always worked on any feedback they gave me,they were quite specific with assignment questions too.

wish they was more forthcoming with us
Original post by shawtyb
that is true!

wish they was more forthcoming with us

Suppose it depends on your subject you study too, it's easier when it's a straight comparison of research compared to an opinion essay.
Depends on the person and the degree.

Around 13% of student on my course come out with 1st class degree, I know I won't be one of them.

I tend to score very highly on assignments and lab assessments (70-80%+) but really fizzle out on exams. Though my exam scores have improved each year they really let down my overall mark and I always end up with a 2:1 overall. Whereas I have friends who are the opposite, struggle with assignments and assessments but ace their exams. So yeah, pretty sure I'll get a 2:1.

Quick Reply

Latest