The Student Room Group

Poll: Will Boris make a good Foreign Secretary?

This poll is closed

Will Boris be a good Foreign Secretary?

Yes- He will be a refreshing change as a fearless champion of the UK. An effective and respected diplomat. 43%
No- His reputation as a buffoon and diplomatic gaffes will be a liability for the UK.57%
Total votes: 56
Just a simple poll.
Quite a surprising move considering it's a key position and his reputation.

What do people think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He'll probably be alright, nothing outstanding
I find it upsetting that boris is still in government position and that he is not qualified for the job.
I am already confident that our Pm will do a terrible job in running our country, as her decision making has already proved my point.
The woman is not to be trusted.
The conservative party will not be the same as it once was
Reply 3
I'm just interested whether he can do his job effectively and not offend people through diplomatic gaffes.
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Mason
I find it upsetting that boris is still in government position and that he is not qualified for the job.
I am already confident that our Pm will do a terrible job in running our country, as her decision making has already proved my point.
The woman is not to be trusted.
The conservative party will not be the same as it once was

Are you upset your idol has gone? Surely it made sense because he was her main opponent for leadership before Brexit? He would have done the same to her?
Reply 5
Anybody who can successfully use the word 'w@nkerer' is OK for me
Original post by 999tigger
Are you upset your idol has gone? Surely it made sense because he was her main opponent for leadership before Brexit? He would have done the same to her?

I am disappointed as Osborne would have been a great candidate for a tory leadership.
I just fail to see what qualities that Theresa would added to the conservative party.

Your point does not stack up as Michael Gove has been sacked
Reply 8
Original post by LordMallard
Your point does not stack up as Michael Gove has been sacked

You do know she can have more than one reason for who she keeps and who she lets go. Michael Gove could have been let go because:

1. She didnt like him.
2. She didnt rate him.
3. She had a deal with Boris to get the support of that side of the party.
4. She just wanted to placate both sides of the part.
5. She thought he was an untrustowrthy, troublemaking backstabber, considering what he did to Boris.
6. She didnt want trouble of having Boris v Gove in the cabinet.

Plenty of other reasons.
Reply 9
Original post by JM999
Anybody who can successfully use the word 'w@nkerer' is OK for me

:colone:
I remember when he became Mayor of London...I hadn't moved here yet but even my 14 year old self could tell from the news coverage what an utter fool the dude was, and nothing has really changed. The fact that he's Foreign Secretary is just a twisted joke on the British population
You do know she can have more than one reason for who she keeps and who she lets go. Michael Gove could have been let go because:

1. She didnt like him.
2. She didnt rate him.
3. She had a deal with Boris to get the support of that side of the party.
4. She just wanted to placate both sides of the part.
5. She thought he was an untrustowrthy, troublemaking backstabber, considering what he did to Boris.
6. She didnt want trouble of having Boris v Gove in the cabinet.

Plenty of other reasons.

You gave the reason of Boris being a leadership rival, but so was Gove and he's been sacked.
Reply 12
You gave the reason of Boris being a leadership rival, but so was Gove and he's been sacked.

No. I was talking about Osborne.
No. I was talking about Osborne.

Ah, but she kept on other leadership rivals such as Boris. I think more to do with signalling end of Cameron era.
On the likely future US President.

In November 2007, Mr Johnson said of Hillary Clinton: “She’s got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital."

On African people

“What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies”.

“They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.”

A Lovely Tale on his experience in Africa

Here they were, beaming with pride in some new Unicef-funded municipal shack, when a Norwegian Unicef girl stepped forward. She was wearing lipstick, earrings, court shoes, and she barked, in all seriousness, 'Where are the women?'

'Why are there no women in this group?' she wanted to know, and the poor lads shuffled and scratched their Aids-blotched heads.

Almost every dollar of Western aid seems tied to some programme of female emancipation stamping out clitorectomy, polygamy, bride-price, or whatever. And while some readers may feel vaguely that the African male should not be stampeded into abandoning his ancient prerogatives, one cannot doubt the care bordering on obsession with which Western workers pursue their ends.

On Putin

"Despite looking a bit like Dobby the House Elf, he is a ruthless and manipulative tyrant,"
(edited 7 years ago)
I just hope that when he ****s up not too many people are hurt/none are killed. Then he'll be left in the political wilderness. *crosses fingers*
Reply 16
Ah, but she kept on other leadership rivals such as Boris. I think more to do with signalling end of Cameron era.

I was talking about Osborne, because I was talking to Blue Mason who is a major fan of his. At the time of the last Convention both May and Osborne were vying to be the next leader after Dave. I specifically remember them being told to stop jockeying for position by Dave. Had they won the referendum, then dave could easily have given his mate Georige his support as heir apparent.

Boris is different. She has to placate the Brexit side , we dont know what deals may have been done, we dont know how they get on.Same for Gove, but she knows what he was like in government and she also knows what he did to Boris.

I was suprised she hadnt taken Leadsom on, she sill might, but we dont know how offended or not she might have been by the mother gaffe.

I see she got Enviornment.
(edited 7 years ago)
He will be a good foreign secretary.
I was talking about Osborne, because I was talking to Blue Mason who is a major fan of his. At the time of the last Convention both May and Osborne were vying to be the next leader after Dave. I specifically remember them being told to stop jockeying for position by Dave. Had they won the referendum, then dave could easily have given his mate Georige his support as heir apparent.

Boris is different. She has to placate the Brexit side , we dont know what deals may have been done, we dont know how they get on.Same for Gove, but she knows what he was like in government and she also knows what he did to Boris.

I was suprised she hadnt taken Leadsom on, she sill might, but we dont know how offended or not she might have been by the mother gaffe.

With Leadsom I suppose she doesn't want to seem too spiteful. Also many Leadsom supporters are members of the awkward squad who she will want to placate.
No. I understand why May has done it - she needed to reassure Brexit MPs and voters she was serious so gave them key cabinet roles and this prevents Boris from plotting behind her back if anything goes wrong. The downside to this of course is that it made Boris Foreign Secretary. It kills any faith in May to be the uniter and centralist figure from her speech as when push came to shove, her first instinct was to swing to the right for a career move rather than select a competent person for the job. Boris has insulted Obama, Hilary and Trump and the US statesman reacting to the news makes it perfectly clear this is a choice they are putting up with, not enthusiast. Germany reporters struggled to stop laughing at the news and the French view him as incompetent too as does a lot of the country. *

Boris representing us means we are being represented by a fool, someone with no tact and someone unable to be gain respect from his peers. No one dealing with Boris will take him seriously and as a result will struggle to take the UK seriously. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending