The Student Room Group

What languages can you speak in and what languages can you think in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fg45344
But you could force yourself to think in Russian when thinking on your own, right? Can you think in any other languages, or just those 2?

Yep of course :smile: Nope just those two, really want to learn a new one sometime soon though! Any recommendations? I'm not sure which one yet, I'm leaning towards French or Spanish atm. German didn't go too well for me at school, not sure why. I may try it again though.
Original post by fg45344
Can you write Tamil?

No, but I'll learn. I can speak Tamil but never learned how to write in Tamil.
I speak sarcasm and trust me, you don't want to be there i'm 'thinking sarcasm' ~
I can speak Mandarin and English to a reasonable level (I'm not Chinese though). I probably can't think in Mandarin quite yet as that requires a much longer time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Trapz99
No, but I'll learn. I can speak Tamil but never learned how to write in Tamil.

Do most kids your age know Tamil, like the Tamil kids?
Original post by fg45344
Do most kids your age know Tamil, like the Tamil kids?

Yes, most of them do.
Reply 86
Original post by Trapz99
Yes, most of them do.

So do you guys talk to each other in Tamil?
Dova and English

Think in Dova when reading
Original post by fg45344
So do you guys talk to each other in Tamil?

I only talk in Tamil to my parents and my grandparents. To everyone else, I speak in English.
Reply 89
Original post by Trapz99
I only talk in Tamil to my parents and my grandparents. To everyone else, I speak in English.

Do you like thinking in Tamil?
Original post by fg45344
Do you like thinking in Tamil?

I don't think in Tamil. I can but I don't. I naturally just always think in English. It's just the way I am.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Trapz99
I don't think in Tamil. I can but I don't. I naturally just always think in English. It's just the way I am.

But surely when you speak Tamil, you think in Tamil?
Original post by fg45344
But surely when you speak Tamil, you think in Tamil?

No I still think in English about what I'm going to say.
Reply 93
Original post by Trapz99
No I still think in English about what I'm going to say.

But then you need to translate in your head from english to tamil, it makes no sense? Surely you should be thinking in tamil when speaking tamil?
Original post by fg45344
But then you need to translate in your head from english to tamil, it makes no sense? Surely you should be thinking in tamil when speaking tamil?

No I don't. I don't really know what I think while I'm speaking. I'm more focused on what's going on.
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Wow that's great! :smile: How are you finding Japanese? I really want to learn another language, just not sure which one yet.

Japanese is quite fun although also difficult. I do have somewhat of a photographic memory which is good for learning the new characters in Japanese. One big downside of Japanese is you must not only learn 2 new alphabets but also thousands of kanji characters, which can be tiresome.
Original post by Actuvia
Japanese is quite fun although also difficult. I do have somewhat of a photographic memory which is good for learning the new characters in Japanese. One big downside of Japanese is you must not only learn 2 new alphabets but also thousands of kanji characters, which can be tiresome.

Ah right, thanks! So why did you decide to learn Japanese? Wow, I'd love a photographic memory, you're lucky :smile:
Somali- Think and Speak
English-Think and Speak
Arabic- Speak *i cannot think in arabic :redface:
Reply 98
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Somali- Think and Speak
English-Think and Speak
Arabic- Speak *i cannot think in arabic :redface:

But if you can speak arabic, why can't you think in it?
Original post by fg45344
But if you can speak arabic, why can't you think in it?

Arabic is my third language my speaking is ok. Not even that great. So if my speaking isn't 100% and i have to force dem words out :tongue: How do you expect me to think in the language.

Quick Reply

Latest