The Student Room Group

Are millennials lazy?

I would agree that the average millennial is lazy,complacent and indulgent.
Only a few millennials are willing to work hard and sacrifice years,because it takes years to become successful.
I disagree. Millennials have been brought up in times of huge shifts, such as technological and social changes, and saying that the average millennial is lazy just because their overall outlook on life is different to generations before is mendacious.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by george_c00per
I disagree. Millennials have been brought up in times of huge shifts, such as technological changes and social changes, and saying that the average millennial is lazy just because their overall outlook on life is different to generations before is mendacious.

Honestly we are living in the age of constant innovation,we have a growing influx of entrepreneurial candidates and we have continuous access to new information.
Okay it is harsh to label the average millennial as lazy , but in our generation we have a culture of anti intellectualism.
They will always be social changes but as a society we mange to pull through and grow again.
I personally know more than a few millennials that are very willing to work hard and sacrifice years. In fact, I feel like millennials may actually have greater ambitions than the generations before them (again this is based on who I know, so don't attack me for it) something that I certainly wouldn't call lazy.
Reply 4
Millennials are lazy and think they deserve everything while doing absolutely nothing.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Honestly we are living in the age of constant innovation,we have a growing influx of entrepreneurial candidates and we have continuous access to new information.
Okay it is harsh to label the average millennial as lazy , but in our generation we have a culture of anti intellectualism.
They will always be social changes but as a society we mange to pull through and grow again.

But every generation has had a culture of anti intellectualism. In fact, I'd argue that Generation Y has less of a culture of anti intellectualism than any other previous generation.
Yes millennial are extremely lazy. Most are fat, sedentary and half-assed when it comes to work.
Reply 7
But every generation has had a culture of anti intellectualism. In fact, I'd argue that Generation Y has less of a culture of anti intellectualism than any other previous generation.

Memes, pop music,vines,reality tv shows,the kardahaians are all inventions of anti intellectualism
Reply 8
Greatly disagree, I think perhaps "less intelligent" due to the constant ******** influx on Social Media, but not lazy. Younger people have to work harder than ever to make their way in the world considering the economic mess the older generation stuffed them into.
Memes, pop music,vines,reality tv shows,the kardahaians are all inventions of anti intellectualism

So is religion, do I go around and call every religious person on earth lazy and indulgent?
So is religion, do I go around and call every religious person on earth lazy and indulgent?

I disagree and you have just made an offensive statement.
Yes I think compared to other generations, on the whole, we are feckless, lazy and entitled, throwing a fit when we don't get our way
I disagree and you have just made an offensive statement.

Many religions criticise science, philosophy, art, and education, factors which go towards anti intellectualism. What have I said that was offensive? I even ended my statement saying that I wouldn't call every religious person lazy because of these reasons, despite you doing that with all millennials.
No, all you're seeing is social media providing a platform for the loud people who are lazy. Generalising in itself is lazy.
Original post by Killercornflakes
No, all you're seeing is social media providing a platform for the loud people who are lazy. Generalising in itself is lazy.

And who follow these people?
Who make them rich?
Millennials
And who follow these people?
Who make them rich?
Millennials

Every generation/demographic has it's share of lazy individuals and those who aren't willing to work, just because you may see more of it face up doesn't mean it's all encompassing.

A rich young person on social media who spouts whatever nonsense (assumption) is equivalent to an older generation paying money for the daily mail and contributing to the owner's success for crap journalism. You will always get people that follow other people which is why you have to think independently and choose what is best for you, it's not a quality that only applies to millennials.
I would agree that the average millennial is lazy,complacent and indulgent.
Only a few millennials are willing to work hard and sacrifice years,because it takes years to become successful.

I'll agree as I am one of the successful hard working millennials admittedly I found success rather quickly as I had quality and discretion on my side
but millennial on average the worst thing I can think of
most are glued to their tablets and phones like it's a life support machine
wasting time and blaming other generations for their mistakes, failings and shortcomings
ITT millennials who think they're better than all the other millennials.
No.. they are not lazy as such, just living a prolonged-childhood, which makes them appear lazy compared to past generations.

Its a combination of factors:

- A shift in popular culture alowing adults to continue enjoying what used to be designated 'childrens' activities (cartoons, video games, etc)

- A mass push to get more people into university.. meaning that huge numbers of young people are delaying traditional adult-hood by 3-5 years. (university far closer resembles teenage life then 'adult' life)

- Financial problems causing bariers to traditional staples of being an 'adult':
Houses are far harder to buy.. meaning people are owning houses later in life
Jobs are less stable, and incomes are lower, meaning people are starting families later in life

- A break down in the idea of marriage. Marriage has always encouraged responsibility + a traditional 'adult' way of thinking.. but our society is currently moving in the opposite direction, hence many young people are not getting married at all, and the average age is increasing yearly.

---

To summerise:

Young people are seen as 'lazy' because they often do not fulfill the traditional requirements of being an adult. But this is not entirely their fault, and more due to a very quickly shifting society, that has not kept its values in line with the way it functions.

Examples:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending