The Student Room Group

Help! I don't know what subjects to chose for A Level!

Hello,

I have to pick 4 A levels to study as I'm applying soon to sixth form where I will have to sit entrance exams. I have so far chosen maths and biology, but I cant pick out of 3 subjects which 2 I should do: economics, physics or chemistry. I'm not sure what i want to do when I'm older. I cant chose as chemistry is useful when combined with biology to do any job/degree to do with medicine such as dentistry but physics is useful as when combined with maths you can do engineering and apparently its easier to do maths. However I thought recently about doing economics as i believe its an essay based subject (please correct me if this is not the case, as I an bit 100% sure what the course is like), which would be good if i wanted to do something with finance and it would be interesting but I'm not sure how useful it would be for me. So I'm not sure if I should do either chemistry and economics or physics and economics or not bother with economics and just do physics and chemistry. I also considered doing economics as my family strongly urges me to pursue law, which I'm sceptical of choosing as I'm worried about job guarantee/security and if its for me or if I'm better off doing something with science and/or maths.

Scroll to see replies

don't listen to this guy, doing 5 a levels as a bad idea and pointless

doing all three sciences plus maths would be very difficult, however if your smart enough and determined you can do well in them.
I recomend picking one of the sciences that you like the most and maybe go for economics if your interested in a business career.
(edited 7 years ago)
You cannot pick 5 you need to pick 4!
No
Reply 4
Do the things you enjoy the most, it helps to know what you want to do when you are older as this gives you directive thus motive. Trust me you will need motivation at certain times when you are muddling through your a-levels. I lost the will because I did't pick the right subjects! So don't think what looks good pick what you enjoy the most as this at times will help you do your revision or work...

Pick what you enjoy and this will open doors and opportunities which will lead to you finding out what you want to do!
Original post by 171819
Do the things you enjoy the most, it helps to know what you want to do when you are older as this gives you directive thus motive. Trust me you will need motivation at certain times when you are muddling through your a-levels. I lost the will because I did't pick the right subjects! So don't think what looks good pick what you enjoy the most as this at times will help you do your revision or work...

Pick what you enjoy and this will open doors and opportunities which will lead to you finding out what you want to do!

The thing is I enjoy economics because I'm interested in things to do with economics but if i don;t pick chemistry I will limit myself to not being able to do medicine and dentistry and being a pharmacologists and i cant be a biochemist either but I also would like to do physics because I'm interested in renewable energy so i thought about doing something with engineering.But I'm not sure which job would be best for me. Even thought economics is useful I don't know if I would need it for any of the jobs I want. I thought about doing law but than if i will want to do law i don't know if its better if I do history instead of economics as I quite enjoyed history.
Reply 6
Original post by Cielphantomhive1
The thing is I enjoy economics because I'm interested in things to do with economics but if i don;t pick chemistry I will limit myself to not being able to do medicine and dentistry and being a pharmacologists and i cant be a biochemist either but I also would like to do physics because I'm interested in renewable energy so i thought about doing something with engineering.But I'm not sure which job would be best for me. Even thought economics is useful I don't know if I would need it for any of the jobs I want. I thought about doing law but than if i will want to do law i don't know if its better if I do history instead of economics as I quite enjoyed history.

Hmm you are in a similar predicament in which I was, i wanted to do Law, History, Engineering, Architecture etc thus it was difficult to choose. I found that by doing the subjects you enjoy more but are also naturally better at is paramount. If you cannot do 5 A-leves I suggest that you pick chemistry and economics. See how you feel about it in the first few weeks and if it is well and good fine but if it it is not ask to swap one with physics. I'm not too sure on this so don't quote me but some medical schools will take physics and chemistry. Naturally they won't be the best but my advice to you is spend some time researching careers in the areas that you like, watch videos etc. The spectrum that you have chosen is very wide so go on to which university and find out what of the 4 A-levels you pick gives you the most career prospects that want.

Just a friendly warning, nearly everyone who does Physics and or Chemistry with Maths will neglect one or two of them. So mostly from this combination averagely people who work very hard tend to get around ABB or if lucky AAB. But this is also dependant on where you want to go for uni. so research it and see what works best not what makes you uncertain
Reply 7
Try and find work experience in all the areas of jobs you want to do even if it's for a day or talk to someone you know who works for the types of jobs you're looking in to and ask them about their daily routine, how they got into the job in the first place, both things interesting and boring that they've had to do and their experience in their work and anything else you want to ask them and then think to yourself whether you'd be willing to do it for the rest of your life. You don't have to choose straight away but work experience will help u to choose what direction you want to take.
Original post by ray_029
Try and find work experience in all the areas of jobs you want to do even if it's for a day or talk to someone you know who works for the types of jobs you're looking in to and ask them about their daily routine, how they got into the job in the first place, both things interesting and boring that they've had to do and their experience in their work and anything else you want to ask them and then think to yourself whether you'd be willing to do it for the rest of your life. You don't have to choose straight away but work experience will help u to choose what direction you want to take.

I wanted to do some work experience this summer but for 1 month during the summer I have to spend it abroad with my grandparents which I myself did not chose but I'm forced to do by my mom who thinks I should be spending my summer with my grandparents and family as I only see them rarely as they live in another country. I do not know any people who work in the fields I do so there is no one I can ask, but I will look online more, is there any websites that you would recommend for researching careers? Also I have to pick the options soon as I think I have to make my application by August - September. No one in my family is in the fields I want to be in or any of my friends or their parents, so there is no one to ask. I was also thinking if I should do history instead of economics as apparently if I did want to do law its better if I do history instead of economics, is that true?
Reply 9
I'm not very experienced myself since I just finished yr 12 and trying to look for more work experience as I want to study medicine but from the little that I know, I think looking in to local independent firms are more likely to accept you and let you come in for a day or two as they need the extra help and for bigger companies, I read somewhere that you could call their human resources department to ask which lawyers/engineers/doctors who are willing to be able to talk to you even for 10-15 minutes to answer any of your questions but I'm not sure... I haven't really tried it for myself but yeah. Keep looking online and see what you can find. But even if it doesn't work out you still have the first two weeks or so (depending on your school) to figure out whether you enjoy studying the subjects or not so that you can change quickly and look at the syllabus if you're still not sure to see if you'd be motivated to study it throughout the year. I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths thinking I would drop Physics after the first year but it turns out, even though I loved GCSE maths, I hated A-Level maths with passion. The only thing I liked was the algebra but everything else just demotivated me from doing as much revision as I should have so I don't think I did as well as I should have in the exams but fingers crossed I still get an A (even if it's just about :wink:) sos my school allowed me to do A-Level Physics and drop maths but since the sciences are now linear not all schools will do this as not everyone does AS exams in case they want to drop it later. For medicine, as long as you take biology, chemistry and maths/physics you'll be fine and an essay based subject will probably be helpful at uni (I didn't do one because I hated writing essays).
For law, I don't know much about it but from this website: http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-courses/llb/law-degree-entry-requirements#
any of the subjects you're choosing from will be advantageous whatever route you take and I think it's the same for engineering
Original post by ray_029
I'm not very experienced myself since I just finished yr 12 and trying to look for more work experience as I want to study medicine but from the little that I know, I think looking in to local independent firms are more likely to accept you and let you come in for a day or two as they need the extra help and for bigger companies, I read somewhere that you could call their human resources department to ask which lawyers/engineers/doctors who are willing to be able to talk to you even for 10-15 minutes to answer any of your questions but I'm not sure... I haven't really tried it for myself but yeah. Keep looking online and see what you can find. But even if it doesn't work out you still have the first two weeks or so (depending on your school) to figure out whether you enjoy studying the subjects or not so that you can change quickly and look at the syllabus if you're still not sure to see if you'd be motivated to study it throughout the year. I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths thinking I would drop Physics after the first year but it turns out, even though I loved GCSE maths, I hated A-Level maths with passion. The only thing I liked was the algebra but everything else just demotivated me from doing as much revision as I should have so I don't think I did as well as I should have in the exams but fingers crossed I still get an A (even if it's just about :wink:) sos my school allowed me to do A-Level Physics and drop maths but since the sciences are now linear not all schools will do this as not everyone does AS exams in case they want to drop it later. For medicine, as long as you take biology, chemistry and maths/physics you'll be fine and an essay based subject will probably be helpful at uni (I didn't do one because I hated writing essays).
For law, I don't know much about it but from this website: http://www.allaboutlaw.co.uk/law-courses/llb/law-degree-entry-requirements#
any of the subjects you're choosing from will be advantageous whatever route you take and I think it's the same for engineering

Thank you or your advice. :smile: I am just wondering if you could give me an overview of what its like studying biology,physics,chemistry and maths at a level? What's the work load like and how hard is each subject and what do you learn and what specification are you doing, whats hard and easy about each subject, is there a lot to remember, do you write lots of essay for any of the subjects, is there a lot of experiments, also what don't you like about maths and whats your favourite subject out of the 4 and why and any other useful information. As I have considered doing these 4 options before myself, so I'm interested if maybe I should do the same?
Reply 11
Thank you or your advice. :smile: I am just wondering if you could give me an overview of what its like studying biology,physics,chemistry and maths at a level? What's the work load like and how hard is each subject and what do you learn and what specification are you doing, whats hard and easy about each subject, is there a lot to remember, do you write lots of essay for any of the subjects, is there a lot of experiments, also what don't you like about maths and what's your favourite subject out of the 4 and why and any other useful information. As I have considered doing these 4 options before myself, so I'm interested if maybe I should do the same?

I'm doing OCR for all the sciences and AQA for maths. It's quite easy at first if you're naturally good at the sciences but on thing I regret not doing is going over my notes just to wrap my head around something in case I didn't get it the first time round in class because I never used to do this in GCSE yet it turned out OK but for A-level I didn't realise how much detail you needed to remember for your exams especially in Biology where the content is so much yet. I liked how all the subjects are linked together as it helped to understand topics better e.g. for biological molecules, chemistry helped me understand the inter-molecular forces between bonds that caused the tertiary structure of amino acids in biology when I got confused the first time round when my biology teacher first taught me. Also, even though the specification changed, doing past papers was really helpful (especially the really old ones) as they helped with getting wording right especially in biology which is very specific otherwise you don't get the marks. The same with physics and chemistry as well actually. My school didn't give a lot of homework so I only had to revise (which isn't very long if you just make revision notes or flashcards for an hour or two a day) but they gave us tests every week or two weeks to make sure that we were revising and if we got bad grades we'd have to take extra lessons to help or one-to-ones with a supervisor if we're really struggling but if you keep up with revision there's no need to worry about this. Plus everything you need to know will be in the books the exam boards wrote for the new specification. They'll never ask you anything they haven't told you about so use your resources to the fullest and they usually explain it with examples to help make it easier to understand experiments especially in physics which is very helpful.
For chemistry, I was fine for most of it because it was mostly calculations but when I got to organic molecules I started to struggle and I regret still not going over what I did in class or asking the teacher to repeat it but once I eventually read the book they gave me it explained so easily and Iwas finally able to catch up with the rest of the class.
Maths was still quite easy for me because they get you to practice a lot. I just didn't like the repetition of the things I already knew and for C2 I didn't like doing trigonometry because it got very confusing and was generally my weakest point. I also didn't like graphs of any sort because they took way too much time to draw and the whole thing seemed really tedious to me hence I didn't put the effort come exam time however I took M1 which helped me to understand the mechanics section at the beginning of physics a lot more quickly.
For biology, as I've said earlier, it's very specific and there's a lot of content (we finished the syllabus only two weeks before the exam) so read every section in the book because all the small tedious information they give you is most likely to come up in exams. OCR used to do essay style questions (like 9/10 marks) but now it's shorter and easier to answer as in all you have to do is spew out everything you remember about a mechanism or the steps for something like protein synthesis or just say everything you see on a graph and you can get all the marks but it's also quite hard because they mark in bands now so if you miss out even one thing you could go down a band. You also get a mark for quality of writing (this is for all the sciences btw). They also included maths in biology now and my teachers said it only requires understanding of GCSE maths but when we were given the spec papers for the first time, it was really hard. It's not like the maths was extremely hard but the way that they word the questions makes it almost impossible to understand what they wanted you to do in the first place. I thought it was just me at first but then other people in my class and even other schools complained that it was too hard as well as most of the biology teachers at my school who couldn't get it the first time round and admitted that it takes a lot of time to do which would be impossible to do in the time limit of the exam so I bought a book specifically for the maths in biology that my school provided called Essential Maths Skills for A-Level Biology (it's a CGP book) but the maths in the actual exam wasn't too bad so don't worry too much.
For physics, I found that once you understand the basics of each topic its pretty easy to get an A as they expect you not to get up to 80% so the grade boundaries are normally lower anyway which is to your advantage :biggrin: but still try and get the higher marks because it makes it easier to answer questions in the real exam under pressure.
Also for all your subjects, I'd print out the specification for each one so that near exam time you can tick off everything you already know and go over anything you're unsure of and you'll be able to see exactly what could come up on the test.
For all the sciences you have to do 12 experiments (only if you're taking A2) so I did six in the first year and am going to do six next year. They were pretty easy and it's pass/fail so as long as there's evidence that you've done it you pass (at least that's what my teachers say) and it doesn't count towards your final grade. However, the experiments can and probably will come up in your exam so you have to remember the steps and for some of them why you have to do a certain step/ what happens if you don't do this step etc. Experiments will also be explained in the new spec books and do the extension questions as they really do help.
Overall, I'd say biology is the most interesting then physics then chemistry to me but even though I like biology the most, it's also the most stress and I'd drop it if I didn't require it for medicine and if I didn't really hate maths. But at the end of the day it was very draining when I had so much to do and not enough time but I still enjoyed it and would do it again since I honestly have no other interest in any other subject as much as I do in science. Also, if you are applying for medicine just know that most people don't get in the first time but I'd apply ten times if I have to get into medicine because I really love the course and love the idea of dedicating the rest my life to helping people in any way I can and if you think you're prepared to cope with the lifetime of stress ahead and with all the issues with the junior doctor contract (which is likely to be worse in the future) then there's not reason not to go for it but anyway, the sciences will open doors to lots of other pathways as well so even if you change your mind on what you want to do, I'm pretty sure you you can go in any field you want with these subjects as long as you can demonstrate your interest to the course you end up choosing with volunteering or wider reading etc. There'll also be lots of opportunities for taster courses throughout the year in yr 12 and you can always get work experience during the half term (as long as it doesn't interfere with studies). Just prepare for failure at first and work your way up because not everyone can keep up with all the sciences at first but you get used to it and get into the habit of studying everyday from the beginning and you'll be fine (making a timetable adjusted to your school timetable helps as well) but even if you can't study everyday, don't worry because it's never too late to start studying properly and no knowledge is lost (as my dad would say) and don't compare yourself with other people around you because the way you learn is different and usually unique to everyone else so go at your own pace and as long as you're making some kind of progress there's nothing to worry about.
Good luck in yr 12 and figuring out what you want to do.
Original post by ray_029
I'm doing OCR for all the sciences and AQA for maths. It's quite easy at first if you're naturally good at the sciences but on thing I regret not doing is going over my notes just to wrap my head around something in case I didn't get it the first time round in class because I never used to do this in GCSE yet it turned out OK but for A-level I didn't realise how much detail you needed to remember for your exams especially in Biology where the content is so much yet. I liked how all the subjects are linked together as it helped to understand topics better e.g. for biological molecules, chemistry helped me understand the inter-molecular forces between bonds that caused the tertiary structure of amino acids in biology when I got confused the first time round when my biology teacher first taught me. Also, even though the specification changed, doing past papers was really helpful (especially the really old ones) as they helped with getting wording right especially in biology which is very specific otherwise you don't get the marks. The same with physics and chemistry as well actually. My school didn't give a lot of homework so I only had to revise (which isn't very long if you just make revision notes or flashcards for an hour or two a day) but they gave us tests every week or two weeks to make sure that we were revising and if we got bad grades we'd have to take extra lessons to help or one-to-ones with a supervisor if we're really struggling but if you keep up with revision there's no need to worry about this. Plus everything you need to know will be in the books the exam boards wrote for the new specification. They'll never ask you anything they haven't told you about so use your resources to the fullest and they usually explain it with examples to help make it easier to understand experiments especially in physics which is very helpful.
For chemistry, I was fine for most of it because it was mostly calculations but when I got to organic molecules I started to struggle and I regret still not going over what I did in class or asking the teacher to repeat it but once I eventually read the book they gave me it explained so easily and Iwas finally able to catch up with the rest of the class.
Maths was still quite easy for me because they get you to practice a lot. I just didn't like the repetition of the things I already knew and for C2 I didn't like doing trigonometry because it got very confusing and was generally my weakest point. I also didn't like graphs of any sort because they took way too much time to draw and the whole thing seemed really tedious to me hence I didn't put the effort come exam time however I took M1 which helped me to understand the mechanics section at the beginning of physics a lot more quickly.
For biology, as I've said earlier, it's very specific and there's a lot of content (we finished the syllabus only two weeks before the exam) so read every section in the book because all the small tedious information they give you is most likely to come up in exams. OCR used to do essay style questions (like 9/10 marks) but now it's shorter and easier to answer as in all you have to do is spew out everything you remember about a mechanism or the steps for something like protein synthesis or just say everything you see on a graph and you can get all the marks but it's also quite hard because they mark in bands now so if you miss out even one thing you could go down a band. You also get a mark for quality of writing (this is for all the sciences btw). They also included maths in biology now and my teachers said it only requires understanding of GCSE maths but when we were given the spec papers for the first time, it was really hard. It's not like the maths was extremely hard but the way that they word the questions makes it almost impossible to understand what they wanted you to do in the first place. I thought it was just me at first but then other people in my class and even other schools complained that it was too hard as well as most of the biology teachers at my school who couldn't get it the first time round and admitted that it takes a lot of time to do which would be impossible to do in the time limit of the exam so I bought a book specifically for the maths in biology that my school provided called Essential Maths Skills for A-Level Biology (it's a CGP book) but the maths in the actual exam wasn't too bad so don't worry too much.
For physics, I found that once you understand the basics of each topic its pretty easy to get an A as they expect you not to get up to 80% so the grade boundaries are normally lower anyway which is to your advantage :biggrin: but still try and get the higher marks because it makes it easier to answer questions in the real exam under pressure.
Also for all your subjects, I'd print out the specification for each one so that near exam time you can tick off everything you already know and go over anything you're unsure of and you'll be able to see exactly what could come up on the test.
For all the sciences you have to do 12 experiments (only if you're taking A2) so I did six in the first year and am going to do six next year. They were pretty easy and it's pass/fail so as long as there's evidence that you've done it you pass (at least that's what my teachers say) and it doesn't count towards your final grade. However, the experiments can and probably will come up in your exam so you have to remember the steps and for some of them why you have to do a certain step/ what happens if you don't do this step etc. Experiments will also be explained in the new spec books and do the extension questions as they really do help.
Overall, I'd say biology is the most interesting then physics then chemistry to me but even though I like biology the most, it's also the most stress and I'd drop it if I didn't require it for medicine and if I didn't really hate maths. But at the end of the day it was very draining when I had so much to do and not enough time but I still enjoyed it and would do it again since I honestly have no other interest in any other subject as much as I do in science. Also, if you are applying for medicine just know that most people don't get in the first time but I'd apply ten times if I have to get into medicine because I really love the course and love the idea of dedicating the rest my life to helping people in any way I can and if you think you're prepared to cope with the lifetime of stress ahead and with all the issues with the junior doctor contract (which is likely to be worse in the future) then there's not reason not to go for it but anyway, the sciences will open doors to lots of other pathways as well so even if you change your mind on what you want to do, I'm pretty sure you you can go in any field you want with these subjects as long as you can demonstrate your interest to the course you end up choosing with volunteering or wider reading etc. There'll also be lots of opportunities for taster courses throughout the year in yr 12 and you can always get work experience during the half term (as long as it doesn't interfere with studies). Just prepare for failure at first and work your way up because not everyone can keep up with all the sciences at first but you get used to it and get into the habit of studying everyday from the beginning and you'll be fine (making a timetable adjusted to your school timetable helps as well) but even if you can't study everyday, don't worry because it's never too late to start studying properly and no knowledge is lost (as my dad would say) and don't compare yourself with other people around you because the way you learn is different and usually unique to everyone else so go at your own pace and as long as you're making some kind of progress there's nothing to worry about.

Hello, I really appreciate the fact you answered my questions :smile:. I'm starting to question choosing maths A level as I'm terrible at maths but i feel pressured to do it due to the number of job opportunities there are if you do maths.It's not that I do not enjoy maths its just I'm bad at it and I do try and practice and have a tutor sometimes but I cant even get an A in any of my practice exams so I'm starting to doubt myself as int he new specification the highest grade is a 9 ( an a**) SO HOW AM i meant to even get an A* equivalent or even an A if I struggle at maths so much if I got an A my step dad would be disappointed because he is really good at maths but when I ask him for help he never helps me even when I ask him like 20 times in one day he says later every single day and I dont know what to do to improve in maths. But I like science as most of it is memorising not like maths where you can have the skills but fail to apply the knowledge to the question. I would ask my teacher for help but its the end of the year and tomorrow is the last day of school and before this teacher I have now which I got 3 weeks ago we had a bad teacher who now left who did not teach me any maths and was terrible. This year i had 3 teachers now i have a 4th one which i think led to my math skills not improving as some of those teachers were not good. But I'm quite good at history and I have done my GCSE history in june and will get my results in august as I did it early and I pretty much enjoyed it but i feel like there are little job opportunities from History A level, which puts me off doing it. The fact biology has calculations now puts me off a little but but not as much as doing maths which I feel like i have to do. How can I improve in maths , I think I'm currently on a C grade I would really like to be on an A grade at least, do you have any tips. In science this year in my mocks I got an a for biology, A for physics and a* in chemistry which i felt was a bit of a fluke. In history all year pretty much I got an A* in most mocks. I feel perplexed i have no idea what to do :frown:
Initial, shorter response: Consider the worst case scenario for each option. If you don't pick physics you may not be able to study most types of engineering, but you will be very suited to Chemical Engineering. If you don't pick Economics you won't have knowledge of... economics, but other than that you still won't be as suited to studying Economics at university because a lot of people that study Economics at university have studied Further Maths with a heavy emphasis on Statistics modules (of course not all, but many) - it is not by any means a requirement for any course to study Economics, which is why it is not considered a facilitating subject. I am still doing it, however, because it is a very academic subject. (A little background info on me: I'm choosing physics, maths, economics, further maths and I am planning to study engineering but I could also be well-prepared for an economics degree, I didn't choose another science subject because I don't enjoy other science subjects and I could realistically never cope as a doctor). You can also consider the worst case scenario for not picking Biology

FOR A MORE DETAILED RESPONSE, KEEP ON READING BUDDY

Really, the best way to actually know is by fast-forwarding to the future.

By that I mean actually envisioning yourself in about 10 years from now getting up in the morning everyday to go to work. Do you see yourself going to a hospital every day? How about an office? Open air, perhaps? Up in some spacecraft? A plane?

Now, unless your imagination is suupperrr powerful, you're gonna have a hard time imagining yourself at work unless you conduct some prior in-depth researching about the different kind of careers that are open to you. There are many more careers than you could have imagined and there are many 'A Day in the Life of...'s on the internet, so do use the internet while you have the time.

Here is one way of going about this:

Step 1) Choose 5 different courses that you are considering at the moment.

Step 2) Research the course content for each of these courses and summarise what each course is about

Step 3) Look into the range of careers that could follow from each of the courses and list at least 5 for each

Step 4) Now research a few of the careers and really think about if you can see yourself working in that profession everyday for potentially long hours

Step 5) Cross out the courses and/or careers that no longer appeal to you after all this research. Try to narrow down your choices as much as you can

Step 6) Now try writing the opening paragraph of a personal statement for each of the courses you have remaining. Perhaps try writing about your motivation and interest in the course,as if you were answering Why do you want to study...?

Step 7) Cross out the courses that made you cringe while writing (hopefully that isn't all of them)

Step 8) Now with the courses you have remaining, ask yourself which one(s) you would read a 500 page book about if you absolutely had to choose

Step 9) Hopefully by now you have got the right course, so now look at the entry requirements for it. Choose the subjects that are necessary for that course and don't look back

HOPE THIS HELPED (: BUT IF YOU DIDN'T READ IT ALL, JUST COPY AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR NOTES AND READ IT WHEN YOU'RE BOTHERED (this method was very long, but it helped me)

Fin
Original post by wolfslayer1
Initial, shorter response: Consider the worst case scenario for each option. If you don't pick physics you may not be able to study most types of engineering, but you will be very suited to Chemical Engineering. If you don't pick Economics you won't have knowledge of... economics, but other than that you still won't be as suited to studying Economics at university because a lot of people that study Economics at university have studied Further Maths with a heavy emphasis on Statistics modules (of course not all, but many) - it is not by any means a requirement for any course to study Economics, which is why it is not considered a facilitating subject. I am still doing it, however, because it is a very academic subject. (A little background info on me: I'm choosing physics, maths, economics, further maths and I am planning to study engineering but I could also be well-prepared for an economics degree, I didn't choose another science subject because I don't enjoy other science subjects and I could realistically never cope as a doctor). You can also consider the worst case scenario for not picking Biology

FOR A MORE DETAILED RESPONSE, KEEP ON READING BUDDY

Really, the best way to actually know is by fast-forwarding to the future.

By that I mean actually envisioning yourself in about 10 years from now getting up in the morning everyday to go to work. Do you see yourself going to a hospital every day? How about an office? Open air, perhaps? Up in some spacecraft? A plane?

Now, unless your imagination is suupperrr powerful, you're gonna have a hard time imagining yourself at work unless you conduct some prior in-depth researching about the different kind of careers that are open to you. There are many more careers than you could have imagined and there are many 'A Day in the Life of...'s on the internet, so do use the internet while you have the time.

Here is one way of going about this:

Step 1) Choose 5 different courses that you are considering at the moment.

Step 2) Research the course content for each of these courses and summarise what each course is about

Step 3) Look into the range of careers that could follow from each of the courses and list at least 5 for each

Step 4) Now research a few of the careers and really think about if you can see yourself working in that profession everyday for potentially long hours

Step 5) Cross out the courses and/or careers that no longer appeal to you after all this research. Try to narrow down your choices as much as you can

Step 6) Now try writing the opening paragraph of a personal statement for each of the courses you have remaining. Perhaps try writing about your motivation and interest in the course,as if you were answering Why do you want to study...?

Step 7) Cross out the courses that made you cringe while writing (hopefully that isn't all of them)

Step 8) Now with the courses you have remaining, ask yourself which one(s) you would read a 500 page book about if you absolutely had to choose

Step 9) Hopefully by now you have got the right course, so now look at the entry requirements for it. Choose the subjects that are necessary for that course and don't look back

HOPE THIS HELPED (: BUT IF YOU DIDN'T READ IT ALL, JUST COPY AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR NOTES AND READ IT WHEN YOU'RE BOTHERED (this method was very long, but it helped me)

Fin

Thank you for your response. I just have one problem its just I really want to be good at maths I enjoy maths when I know how to do it but even though I try my best Im going to 11 next year and I have been stuck on a C grade since year 9 and there seems to be no progress. I really enjoy history I would not mind reading a 500 page book about it but I feel there are little to none career prospects in history. I really enjoy watching documentaries to do with science so its something i enjoy watching but I have no clue what field in science I would pick at one point in my life i really thought I could be a surgeon but what put me off is the many years of study and the fact in the Uk they're not as well paid as in the usa but then I could never live in the US as its not a place for me, also I would be limited to only working in english speaking countries because if I wanted to work abroad for example japan i would not be able to pass the medical licence, as i do not speak the language. And I do try and imagine my future but it seems so bleak and I cannot picture anything I am so sacred of being unemployed and homeless and it feels like i can't imagine myself doing any specific job anymore and I searched the internet for many jobs, and I cant make my mind up or the fact I'm not good at maths stops me from pursuing that career. I would love a job that enables me to to travel but I would not be a pilot as apparently you just fly a lot but you don't really see a lot of the places you fly to and you just go and sleep in a hotel and then go to work the next day and also there is no job guarantee! I think whats most important for me is job security/guarantee and a good salary I'm not talking hundreds of thousands but at least maybe 50,000 per year I hope that does not sound greedy, but I want a nice lifestyle too.I looked at many courses but I cant pick 5, I think one thing that stops me from being able to pick is I don't want to pick the wrong decision, I don't want to feel like I regret my decision or to be one of those people who are 40 years old and realise they chose the wrong job and end up quitting their jobs and going back to uni to study for a new degree and looking for a different job completely, it scares me that that it might happen to me.
Thank you for your response. I just have one problem its just I really want to be good at maths I enjoy maths when I know how to do it but even though I try my best Im going to 11 next year and I have been stuck on a C grade since year 9 and there seems to be no progress. I really enjoy history I would not mind reading a 500 page book about it but I feel there are little to none career prospects in history. I really enjoy watching documentaries to do with science so its something i enjoy watching but I have no clue what field in science I would pick at one point in my life i really thought I could be a surgeon but what put me off is the many years of study and the fact in the Uk they're not as well paid as in the usa but then I could never live in the US as its not a place for me, also I would be limited to only working in english speaking countries because if I wanted to work abroad for example japan i would not be able to pass the medical licence, as i do not speak the language. And I do try and imagine my future but it seems so bleak and I cannot picture anything I am so sacred of being unemployed and homeless and it feels like i can't imagine myself doing any specific job anymore and I searched the internet for many jobs, and I cant make my mind up or the fact I'm not good at maths stops me from pursuing that career. I would love a job that enables me to to travel but I would not be a pilot as apparently you just fly a lot but you don't really see a lot of the places you fly to and you just go and sleep in a hotel and then go to work the next day and also there is no job guarantee! I think whats most important for me is job security/guarantee and a good salary I'm not talking hundreds of thousands but at least maybe 50,000 per year I hope that does not sound greedy, but I want a nice lifestyle too.I looked at many courses but I cant pick 5, I think one thing that stops me from being able to pick is I don't want to pick the wrong decision, I don't want to feel like I regret my decision or to be one of those people who are 40 years old and realise they chose the wrong job and end up quitting their jobs and going back to uni to study for a new degree and looking for a different job completely, it scares me that that it might happen to me.

You sound like the perfect person to become a lawyer (solicitor). Honestly, if you think doing a History degree has low career prospects you are very very very wrong! History is a non-specialist degree that provides you with the skills that make you employable: analytical skills, clear and concise writing skills, communication skills, clear judgement and so much more. On taking a History degree, you can enter the legal profession (a very lucrative profession with good hours, contrary to what people believe) via taking a GDL (a law conversion course) and trust me with hard work the rest will play out fine. The type of subjects you should be doing are History, English Literature, Philosophy, Government & Politics, Psychology, and even Economics because your strengths are clearly here.

Look into the legal profession with a clear, unbiased mind and I know you will find that it is right for you because I've seen this happen to many people (older than us) before.

A law firm I've been to myself as part of a work experience type thing and it was amazing because of the environment and the type of lawyers that actually work their. Explore their website for yourself: http://graduates.hoganlovells.com/

*the legal profession is very broad and as such, there are many undesirable parts of the law, those of which you will have to look up yourself
Original post by wolfslayer1
You sound like the perfect person to become a lawyer (solicitor). Honestly, if you think doing a History degree has low career prospects you are very very very wrong! History is a non-specialist degree that provides you with the skills that make you employable: analytical skills, clear and concise writing skills, communication skills, clear judgement and so much more. On taking a History degree, you can enter the legal profession (a very lucrative profession with good hours, contrary to what people believe) via taking a GDL (a law conversion course) and trust me with hard work the rest will play out fine. The type of subjects you should be doing are History, English Literature, Philosophy, Government & Politics, Psychology, and even Economics because your strengths are clearly here.

Look into the legal profession with a clear, unbiased mind and I know you will find that it is right for you because I've seen this happen to many people (older than us) before.

A law firm I've been to myself as part of a work experience type thing and it was amazing because of the environment and the type of lawyers that actually work their. Explore their website for yourself: http://graduates.hoganlovells.com/

*the legal profession is very broad and as such, there are many undesirable parts of the law, those of which you will have to look up yourself

My family tells me I should be a lawyer but I don't think i should be one because even though I like arguing I'm always fail to persuade people and win the argument. SO I feel like if in my own house my words do not have any gravitas than what gravitas will they have in the court room. Apparently there is also a surplus in the law of people so its apparently harder to get hired,apparently? Also there are no prospects of working abroad as different countries have different laws, so if I did law I would always be stuck in the UK and that really puts me off. I always saw myself doing science because i feel like work to do with science is really respectable even though law is respectable I don't think its for me. I feel this pressure to do a respectable job as no one in my family really achieved anything great academically, my grandparents didn't go to uni and my mom didn't go to uni either and didn't even finish her a levels, my uncle didn't go,one of my aunties went but she just did something with literature or something like that, so it might sound silly but its really important for me what job I do because no one in my family really achieved anything great academically.
Original post by ray_029

Would you mind directly comparing physics and chemistry?Would you mind telling me more about physics and the things you learn and the difficulty level is it more about remembering facts or applying knowledge to the question?
Since u already choosen biology. Its time to choose physics and chemistry and economics. I know u said u want to be a lawyer but u are still young and if u want to do engineering u wont be restricted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Since u already choosen biology. Its time to choose physics and chemistry and economics. I know u said u want to be a lawyer but u are still young and if u want to do engineering u wont be restricted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the thread properly! I never said I want to be a lawyer my family said I should be a lawyer!

Quick Reply

Latest