The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

I emailed manchester enquiring about a course that's listed in clearing on the ucas website, and they replied saying "It’s also unlikely that we will have places available through clearing for this degree." Why is it listed then????
Original post by celiajacobs
I emailed manchester enquiring about a course that's listed in clearing on the ucas website, and they replied saying "It’s also unlikely that we will have places available through clearing for this degree." Why is it listed then????

because they won't be updated properly until a few days before results day
Original post by fefssdf
because they won't be updated properly until a few days before results day

The course I applied for isn't listed though so I'm very confused, we're told to research clearing courses before results day so am I supposed to email every uni to check there are actually spaces??
The course I applied for isn't listed though so I'm very confused, we're told to research clearing courses before results day so am I supposed to email every uni to check there are actually spaces??

the unis won't know whether they will have places or not until a few days before results day... all you can do is make a list of courses that you could possibly apply for through clearing but bare in mind that they might not be available

It seems many universities haven't bothered to remove courses without (or unlikely to have) places. Manchester is not alone.

If anyone finds a course they might be interested in, it is important to also check availability direct with the university.
If I was to email the university about if they have spaces left on the course. Would I email the admissions office for the university?
Original post by Georginarosee
If I was to email the university about if they have spaces left on the course. Would I email the admissions office for the university?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm confused about clearing.. I applied after 30th June so I'm in clearing already. If I've seen courses listed in clearing that I'm interested in, is it too early to contact the uni? Do I need to just wait till I have my results before I can do anything?
Original post by Espero247
I'm confused about clearing.. I applied after 30th June so I'm in clearing already. If I've seen courses listed in clearing that I'm interested in, is it too early to contact the uni? Do I need to just wait till I have my results before I can do anything?

If you're in clearing you can get in touch with universities and make informal enquiries. You can't actually apply for a place through track until you have your results.

Maybe their tsr rep can help chase up their admissions team to get their vacancy listings correct
@The University of Manchester
I don't see why you can't try and apply again through adjustment to a uni you got rejected from, perhaps you got they grades they wanted and also their circumstances have changed and they haven't got enough people that did get the grades, I don't see why it would be such a big deal and they would be so strict?
Will there be more unis in clearing on results day than the ones on Ucas at the moment?
Because I can't find anywhere I like for my course on the current listings on Ucas for clearing...
Original post by Economistician
Will there be more unis in clearing on results day than the ones on Ucas at the moment?
Because I can't find anywhere I like for my course on the current listings on Ucas for clearing...

you will just have to wait and see I'm afraid. it all depends on how people did in their A-levels...
Original post by Economistician

More courses with actual places available? Probably.
Original post by SlimShady96
I don't see why you can't try and apply again through adjustment to a uni you got rejected from, perhaps you got they grades they wanted and also their circumstances have changed and they haven't got enough people that did get the grades, I don't see why it would be such a big deal and they would be so strict?

You would have to exceed the terms of your Firm Offer to go into Adjustment. And not all courses/universities will be available in Adjustment.
Are Sussex not stating the grades for clearing next to their courses? Does this just mean that they're the same as original??
Original post by alexp98
Are Sussex not stating the grades for clearing next to their courses? Does this just mean that they're the same as original??

Probably - check direct with the university. Just because a course is in Clearing doesn't mean requirements will be lower. See the earlier replies by PQ and returnmigrant.
Original post by PQ
In addition to point 1 above. Subject grades MATTER. If you're 2 grades down in a subject that isn't relevant then you're a better prospect than someone who is 1 grade down in the subject they're enquiring about.

So if you tanked biology A level (but got your grades in your other subjects) then that's less of an issue if you're applying to Law than if you're applying to Biology or Psychology in clearing.

Would what you are saying also apply to my situation?

I applied for a maths course where the standard entry is AAB and my offer is A*AC (C in non maths A-level), if I got AAC with the two A's in maths and further maths, would they view that as me under-performing in my subject grades still? Or would they base it on the standard entry requirements and say that I have under performed in the third non-maths A-level?

Hope that makes sense :smile::smile:
Original post by Katiee224
Would what you are saying also apply to my situation?

I applied for a maths course where the standard entry is AAB and my offer is A*AC (C in non maths A-level), if I got AAC with the two A's in maths and further maths, would they view that as me under-performing in my subject grades still? Or would they base it on the standard entry requirements and say that I have under performed in the third non-maths A-level?

Hope that makes sense :smile::smile:

No one can say for sure. You'll have to wait and see what happens on Results Day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it normal for universities to have vacancies left on a course at this stage? Is it a good thing?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending