The Student Room Group

Dentistry summer school with debate chamber?

Ok so I am seriously considering applying for dentistry in the 2017 entry and I came across this two day non residential 'summer school.' However I am a bit suspicious as it costs £195 and there isn't much feedback on it. Ideally I want it to be something useful I will be able to talk about in my personal statement, so could someone who's been on it before or knows more about these kind of courses help me to find out is it
legit, and worthwhile to talk about on my statement?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out :smile:
Don't bother, sounds like a scam tbh and it's not worth it. Concentrate on good grades at AS and in BMAT/UKCAT. Get good work experience if you don't already have it and make sure your statement isn't too generic/add some personality to it. After that it's out of your hands. Good luck.

(Soon to be 3rd year dental student).
Hi, I am also going to apply to dentistry this year for 2017 entry and I went to this summer school last week. I found it really helpful and also good fun - definitely worthwhile! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Good luck. :smile:
Which dental schools were you thinking of applying to?
I was thinking of kings college and Bart's, as my parents down want me to live out and I live in London, but I'm secretly considering Bristol and Manchester.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the summer school like? Was it actually a scam or not? I'm so confused :frown:
No, the summer school was actually really good. There were some excellent talks on different fields within dentistry and some practical exercises (stitching and carving), which were super! Definitely worth the money. I also live in London, but don't want to stay, so I was thinking Leeds and Liverpool and maybe Sheffield.
Original post by BenedickandI
No, the summer school was actually really good. There were some excellent talks on different fields within dentistry and some practical exercises (stitching and carving), which were super! Definitely worth the money. I also live in London, but don't want to stay, so I was thinking Leeds and Liverpool and maybe Sheffield.

Whether it was good or not, spending near £200 for something that will provide you with little to no advantage isn't advisable.
I can see that, but I would say it's worth it. It can be used to determine whether or not you do actually want to apply and I'd argue that it does show enthusiasm, but if you don't have the money/have loads of other experiences anyway, then maybe it's not. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heartypirate
Ok so I am seriously considering applying for dentistry in the 2017 entry and I came across this two day non residential 'summer school.' However I am a bit suspicious as it costs £195 and there isn't much feedback on it. Ideally I want it to be something useful I will be able to talk about in my personal statement, so could someone who's been on it before or knows more about these kind of courses help me to find out is it
legit, and worthwhile to talk about on my statement?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out :smile:

Don't bother. As I said on your previous thread regarding summer schools they are a total waste of time. These sorts of things are quick cash grabs to play on fears of other applicants outcompeting you. Dental schools are not interested in these kind of limited access events. They are expensive and a total waste of money. They are interested in a real world view of dentistry - i.e. by getting the necessary length of GDP work experience and volunteering in a caring environment. This is all ridiculously over the top. I'll simply reiterate my previous advice and if you choose to waste your money, fine by me.

- Focus on getting the A level grades
- Make your application rounded (you asked me what I meant by "rounded" in your previous thread - of course I'm not going to tell you - have a think - everyone has aspects of themselves that they can talk about apart from just academics)
- Get the minimum 2 weeks GDP work experience that most schools require
- Get a volunteering placement at a care home etc
- Nail your interview (BE YOURSELF)
Reply 8
This may be late, but go. Learning never hurts. Yeah it's on the pricey side and could be hard if you are poor, but I am going to the part 5 medicine course and I think it would really help me to learn weather I really want to do medicine. It can also give me experience, and you can't have enough experience. You need to utilize all the opportunities you have. And also it can give you something to do in the summer rather than wasting your time going to the mall and watching netflix...
Reply 9
This may be late, but go. Learning never hurts. Yeah it's on the pricey side and could be hard if you are poor, but I am going to the part 5 medicine course and I think it would really help me to learn weather I really want to do medicine. It can also give me experience, and you can't have enough experience. You need to utilize all the opportunities you have. And also it can give you something to do in the summer rather than wasting your time going to the mall and watching netflix...
im going to it! it looks really good. i know its only 2 days but you can apply for a bursary like i did and you only have to pay around 50 instead.
I went to this debate chamber summer school for dentistry. Would I recommend it? No. The layout is not very well laid out. They do go into some VERY BRIEF details on the fields within dentistry but you can easily learn these yourselves without having to pay £195. I didn’t learn anything particular that I wouldn’t have been able to find online. They do let you have a go at activities like suturing and carving but I found these rather boring and irrelevant. I’d focus on your grades above anything else. I didn’t use it for my application at all anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest