The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhyM23
From Edexcel:

C3

Chapters 1, 3 and 4 ( it is also helpful to learn as many trig identities as possible because you may need them for integration/differentiation. E.g to integrate cos2x, you have to rewrite it as [cos(2x)+1]/2 etc.)

C4

Chapters 1, 3, 4 and 5 (I don't think volume of revolution will be required, but it is really easy as you just sub numbers into a formula)

Here is the spec. Look at pages 31-42 for C3 and C4 :smile:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf

here:
"No, you don't have to learn all of those.

Following is the link on what you should learn. Make sure to ignore (if you wish) the sections you don't need.
Page 1 : Learn all of it.
Page 2 : Ignore half angle, sum and difference, product to sum, sum to product formulas.
Page 3 : Learn the circle.
Page 4 : Ignore Mollweide's formula and Law of tangents.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Trig_Cheat_Sheet.pdf

"Find the topics mentioned here and study only those first."
Reply 141
Original post by NatoHeadshot
here:
"No, you don't have to learn all of those.

Following is the link on what you should learn. Make sure to ignore (if you wish) the sections you don't need.
Page 1 : Learn all of it.
Page 2 : Ignore half angle, sum and difference, product to sum, sum to product formulas.
Page 3 : Learn the circle.
Page 4 : Ignore Mollweide's formula and Law of tangents.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Trig_Cheat_Sheet.pdf

"Find the topics mentioned here and study only those first."

I totally agree with that list :smile:

Just for the record, a lot of trig identities can be derived from a single identity. E.g. using sin2x + cos2x =1, you can divide by cos2x to get tan2x + 1 = sec2x , or by sin2x to get 1 + cot2x = cosec2x.
Anyone have some links to some good geometry quetions like the one that appeared recently in one of the papers for 6 marks i believe

Yeah

Original post by tangotangopapa2
I am out atm. I will try to compile the problems asa i return.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PATT.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
PATT.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

thanks do you have a place for the answers :biggrin:
thanks do you have a place for the answers :biggrin:

Hmm.. I think you will find answers to most of these problems at physicsandmathstutor website. :yes:
:smile: Just ask us where you don't understand :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
From Edexcel:

C3

Chapters 1, 3 and 4 ( it is also helpful to learn as many trig identities as possible because you may need them for integration/differentiation. E.g to integrate cos2x, you have to rewrite it as [cos(2x)+1]/2 etc.)

C4

Chapters 1, 3, 4 and 5 (I don't think volume of revolution will be required, but it is really easy as you just sub numbers into a formula)

Here is the spec. Look at pages 31-42 for C3 and C4 :smile:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf

dont you think 8 would be useful too? differeniation?
Reply 146
dont you think 8 would be useful too? differeniation?

My chapters correspond to the specification not the textbook :smile:
Reply 147
Original post by PhyM23
Hey! I mean ones like this:

767677676.PNG

You have to use a different method to solve these. You cannot simply just multiply both sides by the denominator, since it could be positive or negative. Therefore you can't know whether you should flip the sign. There are a few different methods of solving this type. You may also wish to look at modulus inequalities as well like this -

2323.PNG

You must also look at graph sketching for rational functions. Here are some great questions to test yourself on -

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/various/curve_sketching_exam_questions.pdf

There are things you have to teach yourself, but that's what uni is all about! But teaching yourself's fun anyway! :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:

Definitely helped! So much to learn over summer and the excitement is real :smile:
Thank you!
Reply 148
Original post by kj5576
Definitely helped! So much to learn over summer and the excitement is real :smile:
Thank you!

I'm glad! There is a lot to learn, but as you say it is an incredibly exciting time for you :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
I'm glad! There is a lot to learn, but as you say it is an incredibly exciting time for you :smile:

You're welcome :smile:

finished revisiing c3 differeniation what do youthink should be next
Reply 150
finished revisiing c3 differeniation what do youthink should be next

I would look at C4 integration now :smile:
Original post by PhyM23
I would look at C4 integration now :smile:

I only know 2-3 c3 identities could I still integrate
Reply 152
I only know 2-3 c3 identities could I still integrate

You need the double angle formulae to convert from powers to cos2x and sin2x etc. You also need these:

a.PNG

Attachment not found
Original post by PhyM23

How is your preparation going on?

I was going through maths section of past papers and I was making way too many silly mistakes. I know it is silly to ask but do you have any tips on keeping silly mistakes at bay?
Reply 154
How is your preparation going on?

I was going through maths section of past papers and I was making way too many silly mistakes. I know it is silly to ask but do you have any tips on keeping silly mistakes at bay?

Preparation for the PAT or uni preparation? I sat the PAT last year :smile:

Hmm I guess the best way is just to carry on practising. The more questions you do the lower the probability you'll make stupid mistakes as you'll be much better at the topics. Because of this a silly mistake will jump out right at you.
Original post by PhyM23
Preparation for the PAT or uni preparation? I sat the PAT last year :smile:

:tongue: :smile:So, you won't be sitting for PAT this year, huh? :unsure: :confused:
What about uni preparation? :yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 156
:tongue: :smile:So, you won't be sitting for PAT this year, huh? :unsure: :confused:
What about uni preparation? :yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Just here to help :smile:

To be honest I've been taking advantage of my free time and have been relaxing recently. The preparation will resume soon though!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PhyM23
Nope. Just here to help :smile:

To be honest I've been taking advantage of my free time and have been relaxing recently. The preparation will resume soon though!

Good luck! You're very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158
Good luck! You're very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome :smile:
How's the prep going guys?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending