The Student Room Group

Gove and Osborne sacked according to BBC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Would you agree that Osborne would have been a better pm?

I have no idea. I am not quite sure.

Maybe in theory with raw academic prowess, but the problem is he is really disliked compared to May. May is probably, long term stronger for the tories and she's has proven quite a crafty woman so far imo with her cabinet choices.

Let's just give her time and rate her.

No point peculating about what Giddeon may or may not have done really.
Original post by seaholme
Didn't Liam Fox get sacked for breaching security and abusing his position by taking one of his friends along to everything as a mysterious 'aide'? WTF is that man doing back in government. You cannot give a senior position to somebody like that.

Boris Johnson's role is a cruel joke.
Whereas Jeremy Hunt being allowed to continue his reign of incompetence is just cruel. :frown:

Liam Fox had an adviser whom wasn't a member of the civil service, that's not that uncommon, that adviser did join foreign delegations as well (all this didn't cost the taxpayer anything) but the issue raised in the papers was that Werrity was privy to secret Ministry of Defense documents. Despite the fact that Fox had trusted the chap for 30 years or so, Rupert Murdoch's tribe didn't agree that somebody whom wasn't a member of government or the civil service should be privy to the documents. That sounds like I'm defended Fox but honestly I think in that instance he was a silly bastard.

Would you agree that Osborne would have been a better pm?

Better for what? And better for who?
[video="youtube;1r2R7DfB2Ls"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2R7DfB2Ls[/video]

@seaholme
I'm slightly sad Gove has gone.

I was never a big fan of him but he had some interesting ideas as Justice Secretary. He believed that people could be reformed and seemed to be taking the Tory party away from their "prison works" days.*

My positive view of Gove may be just because he replaced Grayling, who was an utter disaster. I hope Truss is reasonably sane.*
Original post by SoggyCabbages
Apparently Jeremy Hunt is also out.

Glorious.

No! He's still Health Secretary gladly

Glad Gove and his pouty mouth has gone and a whole new cabinet has been ushered in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by political
Liam Fox had an adviser whom wasn't a member of the civil service, that's not that uncommon, that adviser did join foreign delegations as well (all this didn't cost the taxpayer anything) but the issue raised in the papers was that Werrity was privy to secret Ministry of Defense documents. Despite the fact that Fox had trusted the chap for 30 years or so, Rupert Murdoch's tribe didn't agree that somebody whom wasn't a member of government or the civil service should be privy to the documents. That sounds like I'm defended Fox but honestly I think in that instance he was a silly bastard.

Better for what? And better for who?

Better in terms of providing a solid leadership that this country needs, plus he would have continued Cameron's legacy.
He would have helped increase the growth for small business, and that is only the start.
Better in terms of providing a solid leadership that this country needs, plus he would have continued Cameron's legacy.
He would have helped increase the growth for small business, and that is only the start.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm a Tory member and I like Osborne but you cannot deny that May and Hammond will be make solid leaders. They've both been nicknamed the 'safe pair of hands' in the past.

Theresa May will continue Cameron's legacy, depending on what you consider Cameron's legacy to be. Personally, I think Cameron's legacy is social progress and being sensible with the treasury. (BTW I blogged on Cameron's legacy if you're interested: http://thespokenwitness.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/dodgy-dave-or-good-chap.html )

I think we can only judge each leader's impact on small business in hindsight.
Original post by SMEGGGY
No! He's still Health Secretary gladly

Glad Gove and his pouty mouth has gone and a whole new cabinet has been ushered in

Posted from TSR Mobile

"gladly"? Lol I think you're the only person apart from himself that has said that today. :biggrin:
Original post by political
Don't misunderstand me, I'm a Tory member and I like Osborne but you cannot deny that May and Hammond will be make solid leaders. They've both been nicknamed the 'safe pair of hands' in the past.

Theresa May will continue Cameron's legacy, depending on what you consider Cameron's legacy to be. Personally, I think Cameron's legacy is social progress and being sensible with the treasury. (BTW I blogged on Cameron's legacy if you're interested: http://thespokenwitness.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/dodgy-dave-or-good-chap.html )

I think we can only judge each leader's impact on small business in hindsight.

I do wonder how long her government will last. A majority of 12 is not all that big.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I do wonder how long her government will last. A majority of 12 is not all that big.

True, it's not. But if Mrs May's policies are anything like those indicated in her speech yesterday evening, I think there will be no problem passing them through parliament, many political commentators have noted that May sounded much alike Mr Milliband just last year so we might even see the miracle of Labour votes for Tory policies.
Original post by Josb
Boris Foreign Secretary? :lolwut:
Liam Fox International Trade? :lolwut:

It's difficult to tell if this is an utterly stupid move or the opposite. I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt for now, particularly because the Tories generally are very good at political expedience. May is trying to ensure that the party will not be fractured. She knows she has to give leading posts to prominent Brexiteers. In many ways Gove is much worse than Boris, so Boris it had to be. She is a smart politician. At least I hope she is...
Original post by Davij038
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36785814

Two of my favorite Tories gone...

Strangely enough these are my least favourite
Particularly Osborne
Reply 52
Original post by Yellow 03
It's difficult to tell if this is an utterly stupid move or the opposite. I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt for now, particularly because the Tories generally are very good at political expedience. May is trying to ensure that the party will not be fractured. She knows she has to give leading posts to prominent Brexiteers. In many ways Gove is much worse than Boris, so Boris it had to be. She is a smart politician. At least I hope she is...

But, Boris is going to negotiate post-Brexit talks. :lolwut: They didn't like his nomination in Paris. :lol:

She could have given him the Home secretary or whatever, but not Foreign Affairs. I don't get why she appointed him at this position; it makes no sense.
Original post by Josb
But, Boris is going to negotiate post-Brexit talks. :lolwut: They didn't like his nomination in Paris. :lol:

She could have given him the Home secretary or whatever, but not Foreign Affairs. I don't get why she appointed him at this position; it makes no sense.

No, she has appointed a dedicated secretary of state for exiting the EU (along with a dedicated department) who will lead the negotiations. David Davis is a real eurosceptic as opposed to a fake one - unfortunately - and apparently during the campaign he aligned himself with the UKiP position. This could potentially be worse news than if BoJo had been leading the negotiations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Josb

So there's a prominent brexiter to blame if things go south- if you notice all of her cabinet positions dealing with issues abroad is a brexiter - Fox, Davis, Patel ...
So there's a prominent brexiter to blame if things go south- if you notice all of her cabinet positions dealing with issues abroad is a brexiter - Fox, Davis, Patel ...

On Monday and Tuesday, all the talk from the Brexiters was about keeping May's feet to the fire to deliver Brexit.

I think this has now turned around. If the Three Brexiteers Johnson, Davis and Fox deliver, then fine. However, I don't think they will be allowed by May to spin failure as success, as Cameron did following his renegotiation. I don't think we will see May anywhere near these negotiations and I think that if the Three Brexiteers are unable to get a good deal, they will be required to say so publicly.
Original post by nulli tertius
On Monday and Tuesday, all the talk from the Brexiters was about keeping May's feet to the fire to deliver Brexit.

I think this has now turned around. If the Three Brexiteers Johnson, Davis and Fox deliver, then fine. However, I don't think they will be allowed by May to spin failure as success, as Cameron did following his renegotiation. I don't think we will see May anywhere near these negotiations and I think that if the Three Brexiteers are unable to get a good deal, they will be required to say so publicly.

You feel that Johnson is for Brexit then do you? I think he's (1) for Bojo, (2) for Bojo and (3) for anything else that advances (1) and (2). If that means posing for Brexit, then, what-ho, jolly good show, etc. Doesn't mean he means it though.

So it's not 'three Brexiteers', it's 2 and a quarter.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You feel that Johnson is for Brexit then do you? I think he's (1) for Bojo, (2) for Bojo and (3) for anything else that advances (1) and (2). If that means posing for Brexit, then, what-ho, jolly good show, etc. Doesn't mean he means it though.

So it's not 'three Brexiteers', it's 2 and a quarter.

"I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that
consequently this country is at war with Germany."

He's a Brexiteer now.
Reply 58

Yes, that's possibly a poisoned gift for them, a tactic to make them fail and get rid of them.
Original post by InnerTemple
I'm slightly sad Gove has gone.

I was never a big fan of him but he had some interesting ideas as Justice Secretary. He believed that people could be reformed and seemed to be taking the Tory party away from their "prison works" days.*

Its just a real shame he completely and utterly shashed up the Education system before donning his ceremonial tights as Justice Secretary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending