The Student Room Group

Where is worth visiting in Scotland?

Is Edinburgh the only place I should go to if I cant drive?
Eh, Glasgow is alright as long as you don't hang around at night It's about an hour on the train away from Edinburgh.
But Edinburgh is a beautiful city!
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
Eh, Glasgow is alright as long as you don't hang around at night It's about an hour on the train away from Edinburgh.
But Edinburgh is a beautiful city!

Is it worth spending a day in Glasgow? Where should I go? :smile:
Original post by JeremyHunt
Is it worth spending a day in Glasgow? Where should I go? :smile:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Sightseeing+in+glasgow&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=qf6HV4D3OdTU8gfM_YTYAw#

I went to the Botanic gardens, that was nice. A few other nice tourist attractions well, of which I can't remember.
Reply 4
Dundee for the seagulls alone. They're ****ing huge.

In all seriousness, Google is your friend. Scotland is a lovely place. You'll find places to visit.
Reply 5
Original post by Airmed
Dundee for the seagulls alone. They're ****ing huge.

In all seriousness, Google is your friend. Scotland is a lovely place. You'll find places to visit.

I did Google but it says go to most places FML :frown:

Cool avatar btw do you regret listening to the High Sparrow?
Reply 6
I did Google but it says go to most places FML :frown:

Cool avatar btw do you regret listening to the High Sparrow?

Aw. :frown:

That's Natalie in The Tudors as Anne Boleyn. But it wasn't her fault. The power she had to go against Cersei was taken and so she had to rely on the High Sparrow.
Edinburgh for the city centre, Falkirk for the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies, St Andrews and east Fife for the picturesque coastal towns, the highlands for the mountains and lakes. Obviously that's not all, but it's all that I know of from my short time in Scotland (except of course the shortest commercial plane flight in the world, but it's hard to get to so only for dedicated nerds).
Depends what you want to do and how much time you have.

Eg it is possible to go as far flung a places as Shetland or Orkney, the outer and inner Hebrides without a car and have a great time and see loads.

Edinburgh is pretty, has the national museum and galleries, its castle, Holyrood and the parliament.
Glasgow is loud and has museums, galleries, architecture, shopping etc but has a distinctly different atmosphere.
Dundee has the Discovery.
Aberdeen has mutant seagulls, but not much worth visiting really. Inverness is pretty, not much to do in the actual town but lots of places nearby to explore such as loch Ness and Aviemore.
Stirling has a good castle.

Skye can be got to by bus, lots of nice walking as well as the scary stuff on the Cuilin. The Hebrides are wild but friendly places. Shetland is interesting, some impressive coastal landscape, good bird life. Orkney has amazing history, and good wild life.
Where isn't worth visiting in Scotland? It's got a natural beauty that is unrivalled in the rest of the U.K. Between the train, bus and using your own feet, it is all accessible without a car.

Get the overnight Sleeper train to Fort William, have breakfast in the Lounge Car whilst you're crossing the vast wilderness of Rannoch Moor, watch Barley being turned into Whisky at the Distillery, watch Clay being turned into Aluminium at the Smelter; and when you've done that, go climb the highest mountain in the United Kingdom - Ben Nevis!
Is Edinburgh the only place I should go to if I cant drive?

There's a very nice ruined castle and ruined cathedral in St. Andrews, not to mention a world-class University where visitors can stay during the Summer holidays, and two magnificent, sandy bathing beaches!
It depends on how much time you have. Edinburgh is surely the best in Scotland, but there's nothing to do there for more than few days. All the museums, the castle and wonderful live music bars would keep you entertained only for maximum 5 days.
And if you have a week or more of course it's worth going to Glasgow, Inverness, Fort William, climb Ben Nevis. And even Hebrid Isles would be interesting.
I was there in 2012, i was out of season for the Hebrids, October, but the Isle of Harris was still beautiful

Quick Reply

Latest