The Student Room Group

Calling all horror/mystery book lovers

Do you guys have any descriptive horror book that you would recommend? I'm thinking of making writing as a hobby because I enjoy writing (got into it recently)and I'm currently writing a short horror story so I want to read as much descriptive horror story as I can so I can get descriptive words for my story.
The first ghost story I ever read is probably the most descriptive I've come across - James Herbert's 'The Secret of Crickley Hall'.
It definitely leaves nothing to the imagination.
Reply 2
Velocity by Dean Koontz is one of my favourite books ever. It's a mystery novel and got lots of suspense weaved into the text - it could be of some use to you?
Reply 3
Original post by Dusky Mauve
The first ghost story I ever read is probably the most descriptive I've come across - James Herbert's 'The Secret of Crickley Hall'.
It definitely leaves nothing to the imagination.

Original post by BubbleChi
Velocity by Dean Koontz is one of my favourite books ever. It's a mystery novel and got lots of suspense weaved into the text - it could be of some use to you?

Thanks guys :smile: ! I'll a look at them tomorrow!
Stephen King is long on description. If you want a tighter style I recommend A Christmas Tale by Austin Crawley. A good example of good description without wasting words. I've pre-ordered his newest book on the basis of his writing style.
Original post by Eriasu
Do you guys have any descriptive horror book that you would recommend? I'm thinking of making writing as a hobby because I enjoy writing (got into it recently)and I'm currently writing a short horror story so I want to read as much descriptive horror story as I can so I can get descriptive words for my story.

Anything H.P. Lovecraft would appear to fit - his styling is amazing, especially "mansion of madness" and "call of Cthlulu"
Reply 6
Shirley Jackson, HP Lovecraft (as above) and Victorian ghost tales (Henry James, MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu etc etc)
Have you tried working with the Descriptosaurus by Alison Wilcox (general Descriptosaurus and thematic ones)? The books are actually made for supporting creative writing for school children (ages 8 - 14) and their teachers, but it can be a great help for any (starting) writer. The books are full useful vocabulary and phrases, tips for describing the scenery and building tension etc. If you look them up on Amazon (or some other online book shop), you can look at the first chapters.

Are you a student in Sixth Form? I am currently writing a fantasy novel that is partly set in Wales, and I'm desperately trying to gather information about Y12. It's not easy, as I'm living in Belgium. Maybe you could help me out? I only have some very easy questions (about school and student life)
I love classic horror - Dracula, Frankenstein, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, anything by Poe
Original post by Anna Moors
Have you tried working with the Descriptosaurus by Alison Wilcox (general Descriptosaurus and thematic ones)? The books are actually made for supporting creative writing for school children (ages 8 - 14) and their teachers, but it can be a great help for any (starting) writer. The books are full useful vocabulary and phrases, tips for describing the scenery and building tension etc. If you look them up on Amazon (or some other online book shop), you can look at the first chapters.

Are you a student in Sixth Form? I am currently writing a fantasy novel that is partly set in Wales, and I'm desperately trying to gather information about Y12. It's not easy, as I'm living in Belgium. Maybe you could help me out? I only have some very easy questions (about school and student life)

Hi there, I'm in year 12, I'd love to help you out!
Original post by Eriasu

I'm rereading lots of h.p lovecraft's work at the moment, I really liked the Outsider and the Haunter in the Dark, their elements of horror are amazingly well executed, the tone set is amazingly and the writing is concise and dramatic, really fun to read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending