The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent or Hull?

I've received offer from Hull and an offer from Kent but really don't know which one to choose.
I'm international so I cant visit the campuses to see which I like the most.
Any advice? Which is the better school?
Kent seems like a more well respected school but Hull has better Accommodation and the course is on the main site so I wont miss out on societies and support, but I've heard crap things about the city of Hull. The campus seems nice but the surrounding city-not so much. I think there seems to be more to do around the Hull campus then at medway?
I apologize for so many questions but its difficult trying to choose a university based only on what I can gather online. Any advice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Kent Medway is a shithole. Hull is apparently quite bad too as a city. If you could get to the canterbury campus, it is a really nice place.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TercioOfParma
Kent Medway is a shithole. Hull is apparently quite bad too as a city. If you could get to the canterbury campus, it is a really nice place.

Medway is the only place for my course. Why is Medway so bad?
Original post by ls221
Medway is the only place for my course. Why is Medway so bad?

Crime ridden, very rough, dirty, cramped streets and quite poor. However, just outside there is some beautiful countryside.
Reply 4
Crime ridden, very rough, dirty, cramped streets and quite poor. However, just outside there is some beautiful countryside.

Well crap.. Is Kent a more well respected school then Hull though?
Original post by ls221
Well crap.. Is Kent a more well respected school then Hull though?

I think so. From what I know Hull is quite similar to medway too.
Reply 6

Thank you for replying to my questions! Its difficult trying to make a decision long distance. Medway and hull campuses seem ok. Just the surrounding cities are rough.
Original post by ls221
Thank you for replying to my questions! Its difficult trying to make a decision long distance. Medway and hull campuses seem ok. Just the surrounding cities are rough.

That's fine, I am happy to help.
Reply 8

Hull is like all the other places in the UK - it has good parts and bad parts. As a student you wouldn't be going to any of the bad parts anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Could the same be said for Medway? Which would you say is the more well respected school? Or the one wih the better reputation? What is your opinion as a uk national? I'm holding a conditional offer from York based on an upcoming interview and I think that will be my first choice if I get in. But if I don't i have no idea about the others. Again thank you for your answers. Trying to do everything at a distance is killing me.
Original post by ls221
I've received offer from Hull and an offer from Kent but really don't know which one to choose.
I'm international so I cant visit the campuses to see which I like the most.
Any advice? Which is the better school? Which is better for music?

Kent seems like a more well respected school but the campus is at Medway. Plus I received and unconditional offer without an interview. Does anyone else think that's a bit weird? Kent accommodation doesn't seem that great at Medway and it seems like you miss out on a lot because you're not on the Canterbury campus.

Hull has better Accommodation and the course is on the main site so I wont miss out on societies and support, but I've heard crap things about the city of Hull. The campus seems nice but the surrounding city-not so much. I think there seems to be more to do around the Hull campus then at medway?
I apologize for so many questions but its difficult trying to choose a university based only on what I can gather online. Any advice?

hull or Medway as places both are equally crooked and equally low quality
Reply 11
Original post by ls221
Could the same be said for Medway? Which would you say is the more well respected school? Or the one wih the better reputation? What is your opinion as a uk national? I'm holding a conditional offer from York based on an upcoming interview and I think that will be my first choice if I get in. But if I don't i have no idea about the others. Again thank you for your answers. Trying to do everything at a distance is killing me.

As someone from the UK, it's as easy as going to the taster days and see which one you click with. No point going to Oxford if you hate the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I think that Kent is on the whole the far more prestigious institution. That's not to devalue Hull at all, it just seems to me that Kent is just a higher tier institution on the whole. The University league tables tell you a lot of what you need to know, though please do take these with a pinch of salt. But the consensus seems to be that as an institution, Kent ranks significantly higher than Hull. Kent in the Guardian guide is the 23rd highest ranked in the UK, in the complete university guide it is the 22nd, as a general institution. Hull is 71st on the Guardian table and 68th in the complete university guide. Now as it happens, when it comes down to looking at the music courses offered at undergraduate level, they seem much closer.

However, on the whole, generally Kent will sound more impressive than Hull.

As for location, it so happens I've visited both in recent years and even have a friend who studies at Medway. Whilst the advice above has some truth to it (certainly Canterbury is in my opinion much nicer than Medway) I think there are -worlds- between Medway and Hull as places to live. Hull is quite dilapidated, pretty far to the North, as a result not privy to the same sort of transport network that being a stones throw from London allows you. Hull is seen as quite a rough Northern city. Medway by contrast is seen as fairly rough, worth noting though is it appears to have significant funds for regeneration over the last few years and is getting far nicer. I'm reliably informed that the campus by the dockyards is actually rather lovely. Whilst I'm not going to pretend that the area doesn't have it's issues, as it does. It is a stone's throw from London by train, with good links to the rest of the UK as a result.

Quick Reply

Latest