The Student Room Group

BREXIT: Second referendum more likely now....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FredOrJohn
lol, Belfast and liverpool, right

Belfast is part of NI and therefore people would have more concerns, Liverpool will follow the Labour party line no matter what.
Reply 21
Original post by qwertypoiop
You must be living in Grimsby I see.

Not really, I live in Coventry actually.
Reply 22
No point saying that to the OP just email the MPs who are asking for the second referendum
Why waste your time telling me your frustrations?

My message was directed towards butthurt remainers in general, not just you.
Second Referendum more likely now because:

a) Both Labour challengers to Corbyn say they support a second referendum, this time on the "deal" arranged by Boris.

b) LibDems have already said they will be campaigning on REMAIN or return.

c) The second referendum petition will be heard by MPs in parliament (5th September).

d) The government only have a majority of 12 (will not take many by-elections or defections to clobber that).

e) Boris is already on record of being in favour of second referendum.

Thus if REMAIN organise massive demonstration in London on 5th of September (date of the parliament debate) if might , it might just swing it a bit..

I mean anyone can tell the economy is potentially shot to pieces, its like the lull before the storm hits the fan.

As a Remainer:

a) Corbyn is still enjoys vast support by the current Labour base which mostly comprises loyal millenials, so he'd probably win a leadership election.

b) The Lib Dems were decimated last year to 8 MPs and so have little influence in the Commons and have failed to capitalize on Labour's internal problems. I can still bet many people haven't forgiven them over the tuition fees hike or for even going into coalition with the Tories in 2010.

c) A parliamentary debate mean there will be any legal impact. For example, the petition to ban Trump from the UK got a parliamentary debate but the government decided to not ban him despite MPs insulting him. Similarly, the Remain majority in Parliament would lament the fact that the British people 'fell for the lies of the Leave campaign' but would conclude by saying that 'we can't override the result just because we don't like it'.

d) With Labour in shambles, I don't see them winning many by-elections even if they all take place in London constituencies.

e) Like Farage, Boris was probably in favor of a second referendum if Remain won by 52-48. Obviously not if Leave won by 52-48.

f) Theresa May is the Prime Minister, and she (along with Remain and Leave cabinet secretaries) says that 'Brexit means Brexit'.

g) If there is a second referendum, I predict that Leave might pick up quite a number of sympathy votes from people who reluctantly voted Remain first time round.
(edited 7 years ago)
Dont write on the OPs thread if you are not interested. There are literally hundred of threads here - Or indeed, heaven forbid, start your own thread...

What on earth is wrong with you that you cannot think of a topic to write about?

Surely there must be ONE thing you are interested in?

Just write about it, no one will bite your head off.

Not writing anything at all is better than those constantly posting the same desperate, irrational non-sense all the time.

It's about quality, not quantity. Nobody likes a sore loser, especially a loud one.

Also I can assure you, there are more areas that interest me than just Brexit, which is the recurring topic of everything you spam.
The debate is just a formality. It won't make a difference.
Reply 26
Original post by Jammy Duel
Ummmm, no parliamentary vote is needed, there will be a strictly enforced 3 line whip, you ignore vacant seats, assume full turnout, and assume that everybody on the opposition benches cares not for democracy. I expect if there were a vote most of Labour would either abstain or vote in favour, particularly where UKIP is strong.

Actually there is a legal challenge so one suspects either a vote will be needed and if not there will need a vote on the DETAILS of brexit to repeal the EU laws.

So, I'm sorry Jammy, but you're writing nonsense.
No offence.

There will almost certainly be a referendum, open vote or election before we fully leave the eu
Actually there is a legal challenge so one suspects either a vote will be needed and if not there will need a vote on the DETAILS of brexit to repeal the EU laws.

So, I'm sorry Jammy, but you're writing nonsense.
No offence.

There will almost certainly be a referendum, open vote or election before we fully leave the eu

A legal battle that will probably go nowhere, and only the SNP are highly likely to outright ignore the referendum result, everybody else cares about democracy and/or is afraid of UKIP using it as ammo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
A legal battle that will probably go nowhere, and only the SNP are highly likely to outright ignore the referendum result, everybody else cares about democracy and/or is afraid of UKIP using it as ammo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well as I said LibDems now follow for REMAIN, labour, if Corbyn loses will also be for REMAIN. Lucas coming back to the greens

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/31/caroline-lucas-stand-green-party-leadership-job-share

I have been emailing numbers of Conservative MPs their guarded replies strongly suggest that they will be doing everything humanly possible to keep us in the EU - remember it only takes a handful .. Can you seriously imagine Ken Clarke, for example, voting to leave the EU?
Well as I said LibDems now follow for REMAIN, labour, if Corbyn loses will also be for REMAIN. Lucas coming back to the greens

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/31/caroline-lucas-stand-green-party-leadership-job-share

I have been emailing numbers of Conservative MPs their guarded replies strongly suggest that they will be doing everything humanly possible to keep us in the EU - remember it only takes a handful .. Can you seriously imagine Ken Clarke, for example, voting to leave the EU?

May was for... Remain, most people and most MPs don't share your disdain for democracy when it doesn't go their way, most don't share your unhealthy obsession.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imagine Labours electoral prospects if we are well into negotiating our exit and they follow that line, that's if what's going on already isn't enough. They are on life support. No-one cares a bout he Lib Dems, irrelevant sell outs. And wasn't the petition a fraud, where is a legitimate petition?
And where has Boris asked for another? Source?
If, tragically, we stayed and France left....god, I'd go and live in France in a shot.
(edited 7 years ago)
May was for... Remain, most people and most MPs don't share your disdain for democracy when it doesn't go their way, most don't share your unhealthy obsession.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's utterly absurd. I grow more contemptuous of Labour, and distrust them more every day. If we could have a second, then we could have a third, and indefinitely. It would make a total farce of this country. We could do it with general elections too. Fix the vote, propaganda, whatever... It's just pathetic how vain, entitled and selfish the remainers are, and when it's not naked self-interest, it's an insufferable moral and intellectual, cliqueish, superiority complex, combined with a lack of perspective and a bizarrely messianic need to buy into this cynical institution which destroys our liberty and self-determination as a nation. They have let a kind of hysterical lack of objectivity overtake them. And personally, I think the EU is doomed. This is like swatching people who turned up late for the titanic trying to stop it and saying their life is over if they can't get on.
LOL, deal with it Bremainers! You've lost! :laugh:
Reply 34

Posted from TSR Mobile

weird how 70% of people who say this to me all come from Brexit side.

Democracy is an ONGOING process, there is no ONE AND FOR ALL. That is a dicatorship. You are confusing democracy (a continuing process) with dictatorship (a once and for all decision).

BREXITERS - love dictatorship -

REMAIN STRONG - GO FOR LONG GAME.
The EU needs us and we need them
weird how 70% of people who say this to me all come from Brexit side.

Democracy is an ONGOING process, there is no ONE AND FOR ALL. That is a dicatorship. You are confusing democracy (a continuing process) with dictatorship (a once and for all decision).

BREXITERS - love dictatorship -

It's an ongoing thing, apart from when nothing has substantially changed. It being a different day and you still not having seen a therapist over your obsession and still being on the first stage of grief does not mean suddenly everything changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LibDems have already said they will be campaigning on REMAIN or return.

Remind me who or what the LibDems are please, and what relevance they have to UK politics.
Reply 37
Second Referendum more likely now because:

a) Both Labour challengers to Corbyn say they support a second referendum, this time on the "deal" arranged by Boris.

b) LibDems have already said they will be campaigning on REMAIN or return.

c) The second referendum petition will be heard by MPs in parliament (5th September).

d) The government only have a majority of 12 (will not take many by-elections or defections to clobber that).

e) Boris is already on record of being in favour of second referendum.

Thus if REMAIN organise massive demonstration in London on 5th of September (date of the parliament debate) if might , it might just swing it a bit..

I mean anyone can tell the economy is potentially shot to pieces, its like the lull before the storm hits the fan.

There was a referendum to get rid of you, the turnout was 4 and 3 voted you should leave the politics board.Ignoring democracy like a remainer does
LOL:

(a) Neither will win and, even if one does, he or she would never become PM.

(b) They still exist?

(c) It's only a debate - nothing will come of it (as has been made clear). The GOVERNMENT has already officially rejected a second referendum.

(d) How many by-elections were there in the last parliament? Less than six? The government's majority is currently 12 (a bit more with the friendly NI parties) but it will increase nearly tenfold if the PM calls an election in the fall.

(e) He's committed to Brexit - as is the PM.

You'll see mighty demonstrations if MPs unilaterally defy the will of the people.

No evidence to suggest the economy has been damaged.
Reply 39
Original post by A1112787
LOL:

(a) Neither will win and, even if one does, he or she would never become PM.

(b) They still exist?

(c) It's only a debate - nothing will come of it (as has been made clear). The GOVERNMENT has already officially rejected a second referendum.

(d) How many by-elections were there in the last parliament? Less than six? The government's majority is currently 12 (a bit more with the friendly NI parties) but it will increase nearly tenfold if the PM calls an election in the fall.

(e) He's committed to Brexit - as is the PM.

You'll see mighty demonstrations if MPs unilaterally defy the will of the people.

No evidence to suggest the economy has been damaged.

Come on get real. Is KEN CLARKE going to vote to leave the EU?
I think this is, no offence, a case of "What planet are you living on"

Then what about the SNP - May is now on record on saying "No Clause 50 without SNP input" - I dont think the SNP are going to be triggering that in a hurry.

Then there is a total lack of negotiators - BREXIT does not have a single one.

The whole concept of leaving the EU is just a "barmy army" pipe dream - it makes no rational sense.

First law of doctoring (or anything) is "Do no harm" - Doing Brexit is doing harm, it would be immoral to trigger clause 50.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending