The Student Room Group

Applying to Medicine as a Graduate

Hey everyone!

I just completed my second year in Biomedical Science and wanted to apply for Medicine starting 2017-18.

I found a lot of info here and there but it's getting really confusing and have a few questions:

1) Obviously I will apply as graduate so does this mean I can apply for the graduate entry course (4 years)? And if so, is that even more competitive than the A100 course?

2) If I meet my 2:1 requirement will unis look back at my GCSEs, and A Levels?

3) On the financial side of things, I heard I won't be eligible for Student Finance anymore, is there any loan or bursary you can apply?

Thanks
Original post by dlord
Hey everyone!

I just completed my second year in Biomedical Science and wanted to apply for Medicine starting 2017-18.

I found a lot of info here and there but it's getting really confusing and have a few questions:

1) Obviously I will apply as graduate so does this mean I can apply for the graduate entry course (4 years)? And if so, is that even more competitive than the A100 course?

2) If I meet my 2:1 requirement will unis look back at my GCSEs, and A Levels?

3) On the financial side of things, I heard I won't be eligible for Student Finance anymore, is there any loan or bursary you can apply?

Thanks

Hi there,

Hope we can help!

1) In general - yes. More there are far fewer places on GEM courses than for undergraduate courses, some universities only offer 20 places or less!

2) Some universities might, but in general, if you look at their GEM admissions entry requirements for each university they only specify that you need at least a 2:1 in your undergraduate degree discipline.

3) For loans and bursaries, each university does it differently, which means there is annoyingly no definitive answer to your question. You need to check out the GEM finance pages on their respective websites to see what they offer. If you're unsure as to whether you're eligible for student finance loans or grants, give them a call.

Hope this helps,
The Medic Portal
Reply 2
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there,

Hope we can help!

1) In general - yes. More there are far fewer places on GEM courses than for undergraduate courses, some universities only offer 20 places or less!

2) Some universities might, but in general, if you look at their GEM admissions entry requirements for each university they only specify that you need at least a 2:1 in your undergraduate degree discipline.

3) For loans and bursaries, each university does it differently, which means there is annoyingly no definitive answer to your question. You need to check out the GEM finance pages on their respective websites to see what they offer. If you're unsure as to whether you're eligible for student finance loans or grants, give them a call.

Hope this helps,
The Medic Portal

Thanks bro! Just wanted to have a general idea but I think I'll end up applying to the normal entry. Do you know any useful forums of people in a similar situation or do you have any advice in general?
Reply 3
Original post by dlord
Thanks bro! Just wanted to have a general idea but I think I'll end up applying to the normal entry. Do you know any useful forums of people in a similar situation or do you have any advice in general?

If you search around student room, you'll find lots of grads applying.

Although its easier to get into the 5 year courses, you have to be aware that there isn't any funding for tuition.... For me that wasn't a choice, so I only applied for the 4 year courses,but if you can afford it, then it is certainly easier to get a place on a 5 year programme course
Reply 4
Original post by Freyr
If you search around student room, you'll find lots of grads applying.

Although its easier to get into the 5 year courses, you have to be aware that there isn't any funding for tuition.... For me that wasn't a choice, so I only applied for the 4 year courses,but if you can afford it, then it is certainly easier to get a place on a 5 year programme course

Thanks man! So you do get funding for the GEM course?
Reply 5
Original post by dlord
Thanks man! So you do get funding for the GEM course?

Yes, you have to put forward the first ~£3500 in the first year then the rest is covered by SFE and NHS.
Reply 6
Original post by Marathi
Yes, you have to put forward the first ~£3500 in the first year then the rest is covered by SFE and NHS.

Oh right, that's good.. Cheers!
Reply 7
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3047657

This thread has a lot of helpful GEM info, also check out the wiki page
Original post by dlord

Hi there,

We're sure there are plenty of others in similar situation to you on TSR! General advice would be to try and revise as much as possible for your UKCAT and BMAT tests so that you give yourself the best possible chance!

Also, make sure you have fantastic work experiences under your belt that you can use in your personal statement and interviews! If you want more advice, check out our application guide here!

Good luck,
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending