The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Has anyone done level 2 I.T. modules - T216 (Cisco), TT284 (Web Tec) or T215?

I'm on the Open BSc pathway having been awarded credit transfer from previous brick uni study in computing, so I want to stay with the IT subjects. The modules I'm thinking of doing are Web technologies (TT284) AND one of the following:
Communication and information technologies - T215
Cisco networking (CCNA) - T216

Has anyone done any of these two modules if so what are your thoughts?

T215 looks reasonably straight forward but I'm concerned about the group work and that it might rehash a lot of knowledge I already have.

Cisco looks like it might give some practical skills for employment (my main aim) but I remember the brick uni I studied at offered Cisco modules and some people commented on how challenging it is and I have no background in networks or Cisco at all.

:s-smilie:
Since nobody else has answered, I hope you don't mind if I offer my thoughts, not having taken either.

I can only answer anecdotally. I've heard that T216 is much tougher than its 60 credits implies, especially for those with no prior networking experience. On the other hand, I've heard that it's worth it. It's not based on OU materials, but on the Cisco Networking Academy online materials, with OU TMAs and a hand-written final exam wrapped around it, with 4 mandatory Cisco lab days with associated exams.

I'm very suspicious of paper-CCNAs, having done many interviews with CCNAs who couldn't answer basic questions. That said, if there was a CCNA who actually understood the material, that would be all I'd need to hire them for some positions. If you want a leg-up before hand, you may want to look for online materials. I like the CCNA study guide from this site: http://www.routeralley.com/guides.html
From what people say, T215 is fairly easy for 60 credits, and people may like its EMA as opposed to a final exam. (Except that markings on the EMA seem to be harsh.) It seems to cover a lot of communications technologies at a fairly shallow level, focusing more on research, reporting, collaboration, and self learning than on the technical aspects of those technologies which would result in specific skills or expertise. Somebody said it seems like TU100 2.0. When you say it could be a 're-hash' of knowledge possessed already, I think you might be right, but there's always more to learn.

So as your focus is employability, there's a good qualification to get you hired (CCNA), or good skills to have once you're hired (vocational relevance outcomes of T215).
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by JollyCynic
Since nobody else has answered, I hope you don't mind if I offer my thoughts, not having taken either.

No not at all, it is good to get different perspectives.

Ideally I'm thinking of doing 90 credits in one year as that completes stage 2 and I could get an Open Diploma or carry on for the full degree.

So I suppose I am torn between getting a potentially 'easy' 60 credits for T215, or perhaps getting something a bit more useful with T216 Cisco, but with the knowledge that it could be very challenging to take it alongside another 30 credit module.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Bit of a bump really. I'm seriously considering doing Web technologies (TT284) if anyone has any info that would be good?

Not going to go with CISCO, I think it will be too much information to learn studying from home with no background in networking at all. I think it is probably something better studied at a 'real' college where you can get hands on experience and learn as you go with other students.
Hi Big V.

T216 is definitely challenging, especially in the latter stages with no formal networking knowledge. Having said that, Jolly Cynic is right in that's the material itself is based on Cisco's own academy material (books available too at extra cost).

I studied this last year having had previous experience with Cisco material (CCENT) and I done very well only to be let down by the final, written exam.

Depending on your career goals, T216 offers some really valuable skills and at the end of Chapters 1& 2, you can go and sit your CCENT exam (again, additional cost), followed by CCNA at the end of chapters 3 & 4.

Thankfully for me I had Andrew Smith as my tutor, who is actually the Cisco chair with The OU.

The difference between going with Cisco and web technologies is night and day. By going with the cisco module, your really gearing yourself up to be a network engineer. If your not thinking about being a network engineer at some point in your life, id advise you to stay away from it.

To me, Cisco material is really interesting, but very challenging and not really worth it if you plan on doing something like web design.
Reply 5
Original post by Darrenraymond
Hi Big V.

T216 is definitely challenging, especially in the latter stages with no formal networking knowledge.

Yes this ties in with what I have now found elsewhere.... Somehow I managed to miss the OU student review sections in which many students describe it as: "hard", "extremely hard", "very in depth", "very tough" and so on.

I'm up for a challenge but I think with > 50% of people rating the workload as unmanageable and no real background or passion for the subject it is probably best avoided...

Have you done Web Technologies and if so how did you find it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigV
Yes this ties in with what I have now found elsewhere.... Somehow I managed to miss the OU student review sections in which many students describe it as: "hard", "extremely hard", "very in depth", "very tough" and so on.

I'm up for a challenge but I think with > 50% of people rating the workload as unmanageable and no real background or passion for the subject it is probably best avoided...

Have you done Web Technologies and if so how did you find it?

I haven't, no. *I'm about to start T215 come October to complete stage 2 (took a years break after T216 as i had studies TU100,TM129 & MU123 back to back for the first 2 or so year with no break at all. Suffice to say my head was fried. lol

As you have probably seen, the OU modules are basically gearing you up for either a software related career, or hardware. *With software, this would cover web design as well, where as the hardware are definitely geared towards networking as the majority of them focus around communications.

i have geared myself up for a few years now to go become a network engineer, however, I'm beginning to reassess things and think about different career options. *Something like an I.T Business Analyst, or something similar in nature.

Still not sure.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending