The Student Room Group

Can I still become a biology teacher?

I'm currently studying biological sciences at Aston uni with the hopes of becoming a secondary/sixth form biology teacher. At A level, I achieved a C in bio and an E in chem (I know :/) but I did do 5 AS's and 4 A levels.
Many unis already have a level grade requirements in place for a biology pgce which I do not meet and I feel as though my a level grades let me down for other competitive teaching programmes like teach first. Is it still possible for me to become a bio teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No idea I'm afraid. Why not give the Train to Teach number a ring and ask the horses mouth:

0800 389 2500

I wasn't a big fan of Teach First. It is a noble idea but I can't help feeling it is more aimed at those looking for a back door into big business rather than genuinely trying to bring the best graduates to the most in-need schools.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Unfortunately, I think the only people who could really answer this are the course providers with whom you would be interested in training. Biology is a shortage subject, so it is possible that these entry requirements are flexible. Entry requirements are particularly flexible if a course provider is struggling to recruit. My advice would be to contact the course providers to which you are likely to apply ahead of applications opening (which, unless things have changed, is at the end of October every year). If they hold open days, you could talk to them in person.

There are so many schools in desperate need for biology teachers that I would be very surprised if you didn't find some course providers who would be more than happy to accept an application from you. Best of luck!
Original post by queenofdarkness
I'm currently studying biological sciences at Aston uni with the hopes of becoming a secondary/sixth form biology teacher. At A level, I achieved a C in bio and an E in chem (I know :/) but I did do 5 AS's and 4 A levels.
Many unis already have a level grade requirements in place for a biology pgce which I do not meet and I feel as though my a level grades let me down for other competitive teaching programmes like teach first. Is it still possible for me to become a bio teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Have you dropped into our Careers+Placements department? There are a number of alternative routes in to teaching which may be available and a number of courses where degree results may supersede A Level results in terms of importance.*

Pop in and have a chat when you're back on campus and they should be able to provide some assistance.

Josh*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending