The Student Room Group

Even Guardian readers have had enough with the Guardian's leftist nonsense.

I often go onto the Guardian's website to see what their commentators are saying about political events. Often, I'm angered by the level of idiocy the writers have the cheek to publish, but more often the readers who post even utter nonsense in the comments section. However, from the comments section of the article published above it's clear that even Guardian readers are having enough with multiculturalism, the "religion of peace" and leftist drivel.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/15/nice-terror-attack-truck
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I can understand increasing security within the country, but will strengthening activities in Iraq and Syria have any real effect? You can't kill an ideology.
Even The Sun readers have had enough with the Sun's rightest nonsense
If you don't like the Guardian then don't go on the website, there's plenty of other newspapers which must be more to your liking.
Original post by george_c00per
Even The Sun readers have had enough with the Sun's rightest nonsense

Um, ok.
Original post by Craig1998
If you don't like the Guardian then don't go on the website, there's plenty of other newspapers which must be more to your liking.

What does this have to do with the OP?
Original post by KingBradly
What does this have to do with the OP?

The OP clearly doesn't like the Guardian and uses the thoughts of a (from the names I've clicked) few commenters who spout the same crap on most Guardian articles. I'm allowed to suggest an alternative aren't I?
Reply 7
The OP clearly doesn't like the Guardian and uses the thoughts of a (from the names I've clicked) few commenters who spout the same crap on most Guardian articles. I'm allowed to suggest an alternative aren't I?

The Guardian has always the best commentators. I only read it for the comments; the journalists are terrible.
Original post by Josb
The Guardian has always the best commentators. I only read it for the comments; the journalists are terrible.

Just like me with Breitbart :lol:
That top comment is eerily accurate.

I expect Mehdi Hasan is writing his "Muslims are the true victims of these attacks" article right now.

If the majority of Muslims were white, the Guardian would be tearing into Islam, but because most Muslims are not, there is this perverse fear of criticising Islam.
Reply 10
How about the one about needing a revolution and we need to eliminte America White majority to do it? LOL

Probably Bernie Supporters

Well the jokes on them, he fooled you all and now supports corporate banker whore Shillary

Rarely any good come from revolutions especially given they tend to be financed and supported people with a different agenda...

But the OP is recommending we read these comments. The main point of the OP isn't to scorn The Gruan, it's to highlight that even it's readers are starting to take a more realistic attitude.

Also, when you're too PC to agree with people commenting on Gruaniad articles, you've officially left reality.
Reply 12
Original post by EI Niño
How about the one about needing a revolution and we need to eliminte America White majority to do it? LOL

Probably Bernie Supporters

Well the jokes on them, he fooled you all and now supports corporate banker whore Shillary

Rarely any good come from revolutions especially given they tend to be financed and supported people with a different agenda...

You mean like Trump's revolution?
But the OP is recommending we read these comments. The main point of the OP isn't to scorn The Gruan, it's to highlight that even it's readers are starting to take a more realistic attitude.

Remember that comments are highly unlikely to be representative of the majority of readers, one way or another. Only a tiny fraction of eyeballs on any site actually ever bother to submit a comment. These people are likely to be different and/or more motivated/inspired/outraged in response to the article's content. But just because an article attracts a lot of ire from some, doesn't mean that the silent majority agree with those who are upset.

Also, when you're too PC to agree with people commenting on Gruaniad articles, you've officially left reality.

Personally, this long-time Guardian reader thinks that engaging ISIS in Syria/Iraq is an idea so bad that it would be hilarious if only there wasn't an outside chance of that actually happening.

I also think that far too much attention and resources are focused on terror, which is not a very big problem in objective terms (despite its successful attention-seeking).
But they're entirely right. What are we meant to do? Ban lorries? People who want to kill people will always be able to kill people. The best we can do is remove the circumstances that make them want to do that.

All these morons that think we can eliminate the problem with force are making it worse.
Original post by JoPearson89
Remember that comments are highly unlikely to be representative of the majority of readers, one way or another. Only a tiny fraction of eyeballs on any site actually ever bother to submit a comment. These people are likely to be different and/or more motivated/inspired/outraged in response to the article's content. But just because an article attracts a lot of ire from some, doesn't mean that the silent majority agree with those who are upset.

Personally, this long-time Guardian reader thinks that engaging ISIS in Syria/Iraq is an idea so bad that it would be hilarious if only there wasn't an outside chance of that actually happening.

I also think that far too much attention and resources are focused on terror, which is not a very big problem in objective terms (despite its successful attention-seeking).

You don't think the severe threat of mass murder on the streets is a big problem?
You don't think the severe threat of mass murder on the streets is a big problem?

Severe threat?

425 people a day die from heart attacks in the UK alone, of which between 66-80% (depending on where you get your statistics from) are preventable. That's 300+ deaths per day. From a single cause of death.

Even a mild public health campaign will save many more lives than the most severe anti-terror campaign; which in any case is more likely to actually increase terror attacks, if history is our guide.

Intentions =/= outcomes.

Severe threat? You're more likely to get hit by a car than killed in a terrorist attack.

But it's irrelevant, because most of the "solutions" people suggest make the problem worse. It was military action that spawned ISIS, and now some people think the solution is to increase our military action?
Reply 18
Original post by JordanL_
Severe threat? You're more likely to get hit by a car than killed in a terrorist attack.

But it's irrelevant, because most of the "solutions" people suggest make the problem worse. It was military action that spawned ISIS, and now some people think the solution is to increase our military action?

Jihad existed before military intervention, that's if you ever read the Quran or knew history. So you are suggesting we should just leave ISIS alone and hope they don't attack, now it explains why your profile pic is of the European Union a political institution which was in favour of the Libyan intervention.
Original post by Karosan
Jihad existed before military intervention, that's if you ever read the Quran or knew history. So you are suggesting we should just leave ISIS alone and hope they don't attack, now it explains why your profile pic is of the European Union a political institution which was in favour of the Libyan intervention.

I'm well aware that Jihadism existed before the invasion of Iraq.

That doesn't mean that toppling Iraq and invading Afghanistan didn't have a supremely negative effect.

What the invasion did was create a power vacuum and mass chaos. Tens of millions of people have been impoverished, had relatives killed, and have had to flee their homes. This climate has allowed extremists to sell the idea to potential recruits that the west was evil and imperialist, and that the islamic world and the west were engaged in a "clash of civilizations" (the same bunkum that neoconservatives are pushing in the opposite direction).

Going in on the ground is only going to feed and grow that narrative. You have to starve the beast.

It's not about being 'nice'. It's simply not pragmatic to engage.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest