The Student Room Group

apply without experience or get experience then apply?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd say you'd struggle to get a TC without a decent amount of varied work experience. Engaging in legal work experience shows a certain amount of commitment to the career and also provides talking points in interview, especially in relation to the competency style questions.

By all means have a go at applying so you can at least get to grips with the application process, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not successful this time. Also bear in mind that many firms deadlines are at the end of this month.

You're right that academics are only a small part of the recruitment process, but with strong academics, it would be a shame if you let yourself down on the practical side.

I'd try to approach firms that you haven't worked with before and look at contacting your local CAB office. There's also other kinds of volunteering you could get involved with that aren't necessarily legal based.
Reply 2
Original post by Hann95
I'd say you'd struggle to get a TC without a decent amount of varied work experience. Engaging in legal work experience shows a certain amount of commitment to the career and also provides talking points in interview, especially in relation to the competency style questions.

By all means have a go at applying so you can at least get to grips with the application process, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're not successful this time. Also bear in mind that many firms deadlines are at the end of this month.

You're right that academics are only a small part of the recruitment process, but with strong academics, it would be a shame if you let yourself down on the practical side.

I'd try to approach firms that you haven't worked with before and look at contacting your local CAB office. There's also other kinds of volunteering you could get involved with that aren't necessarily legal based.

thanks, as i've said i have done work experience at a solicitors but it's not paid thats all. i'll see if i can sort out some more paid or unpaid work experience! i'll then see what application deadlines i can meet :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by woodchuck
thanks, as i've said i have done work experience at a solicitors but it's not paid thats all. i'll see if i can sort out some more paid or unpaid work experience! i'll then see what application deadlines i can meet :smile:

I don't think whether it's paid or unpaid will make that much of a difference, it's more about the skills you can show you've learnt and developed. Obviously working in a paralegal role or something similar would definitely help, but I don't think it's a must
Reply 4
Original post by Hann95
I don't think whether it's paid or unpaid will make that much of a difference, it's more about the skills you can show you've learnt and developed. Obviously working in a paralegal role or something similar would definitely help, but I don't think it's a must

thanks, i'll work on that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending