The Student Room Group

I'm 18, he's 27

First thing I need to say is that I will be turning 19 later this year. Now, I fell for this guy. He's a good friend of mine and I met him through another friend. I'd been denying my feelings for a while since I was in a relationship (2 and a half years) but that ended recently for an unrelated reason.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do you think this guy is too old for me or not? It probably won't change my feelings for him but it's good to know what people would think as I don't think my friends and family would approve.

Any advice or answer is welcome.
Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

He has more life experience than you; you're probably on different pages.
Reply 2
I personally wouldn't want to be in a relationship with such a large age gap, but as long as you're happy, who cares?
I knew a 19 and 39 relationship. They're now 21 and 41, both still very happy :smile:
Age is but a number. :biggrin:
As long as your happy, and he treats you as you deserve I think you'll be perfect. :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Age is but a number. :biggrin:

Age is doesn't matter.You still can have a relationship between you guys.
It difficult. My ex boyfriend was 25, and I was 18. It was difficult then because I was in education, and he was settled with a job and had lived alone for a number of years. He looked back at when he was in my situation and considered himself a kid still, and considered himself now as an adult. It made things pretty weird and we had no chance. If it works for you guys, it works for you guys. It really depends on the relationship but if you're both comfortable and it's working, then it's fine!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anojan
Age is doesn't matter.You still can have a relationship between you guys.

That's what I meant. :redface:
You're both adults so it isn't that strange, anyway I know a couple that is 12 years apart
Reply 10
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
That's what I meant. :redface:

That's alright
Doubt it would work as anything more than a short-term fling.
Let's be honest, a 27 year old would prefer to be in a relationship with someone his age or a couple of years younger. I'd have my doubts about what the problem is that no girls his own age wanted him and he's had to settle for an 18 year old.
Original post by Katie_Melling
First thing I need to say is that I will be turning 19 later this year. Now, I fell for this guy. He's a good friend of mine and I met him through another friend. I'd been denying my feelings for a while since I was in a relationship (2 and a half years) but that ended recently for an unrelated reason.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do you think this guy is too old for me or not? It probably won't change my feelings for him but it's good to know what people would think as I don't think my friends and family would approve.

Thank you.

too old

(27/2)+7 = 20.5
Original post by hermitthefrog
Let's be honest, a 27 year old would prefer to be in a relationship with someone his age or a couple of years younger. I'd have my doubts about what the problem is that no girls his own age wanted him and he's had to settle for an 18 year old.

yeh it's pretty strange. tbf I probably wouldn't say no as a desperate 24 year old to an attractive 18 year old girlfriend who loved me, but there are things wrong with me and it'd still feel a bit weird.
Original post by Katie_Melling

Thank you.

Don't listen to other people saying you are at different life stages. I have met my actual bf at 18 and he was 27, three years later we are still together, we love each other and we support each other. he supports me as a student and I support his ambitions as a professional. Nothing wrong with that. We respect each other and that is what matters. We have constructive conversations and we have things in common. Living different lives doesn't stop a relationship from happening.

People will tell you oh no too much age different. If you feel good with him and it works, just pursue your path. This is life
Reply 16
The older you get the less age gaps tend to matter.. I think between my dad and stepmum, it's something like 15 years? I think the only issue is as you're still a teen, it can be seen as a little bit odd, I wouldn't be too bothered if my 18/19 year old daughter (if I had one) was in a relationship with a 27 year old provided he was respectful. But that view might change if I had one!

I suppose the other thing would be, does he have feelings for you also?
Original post by Xellah
The older you get the less age gaps tend to matter.. I think between my dad and stepmum, it's something like 15 years? I think the only issue is as you're still a teen, it can be seen as a little bit odd, I wouldn't be too bothered if my 18/19 year old daughter (if I had one) was in a relationship with a 27 year old provided he was respectful. But that view might change if I had one!

I suppose the other thing would be, does he have feelings for you also?

He does also have feelings for me. He has for a while. It just took me a long time to realise I also have feelings for him.
Original post by hermitthefrog

He has depression and other things (so do I) but all girl his own age leave him for someone with less problems.
Thanks to everyone for the replies I will take everything into account. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending