The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the world better off with or without Islam?

Are we better off without the religion of Islam existing or has it had an overall benefit in society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Without it. All in all, there aren't any religions that have helped us, and Islam has definitely not made our world a nicer nor more peaceful place to live.
That's an extremely complicated and difficult question which also needs lots of clarification. No one could ever answer a question like that properly because of how long it's been around and its numerous effects, positive or negative.

Virtually impossible to answer because of the countless factors
You shouldn't just be asking this about Islam. At times, I ponder if the world could've been better off without Christianity. Even now, the only religion I can feel any compassion towards these days is Judaism.
The world would be better off without all religion, but certainly in modern times the world would be a better place without Islam specifically.
Muslims make 23% of people in this planet so er... We need them.

But what we don't need is terrorists.
If everyone left Islam it would obviously be a benefit to the world, well at least if you value liberalism.
Reply 7
Original post by HAnwar
This is your third thread on Islam in less than 12 hours.
That is really sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing sad or wrong about discussing and debating about a belief system. It's good to challenge and debate ideas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Speedscarlet
Muslims make 23% of people in this planet so er... We need them.

But what we don't need is terrorists.

I meant the religion, not the people of the religion. We would still have all these people if Islam didn't exist.
Reply 9
To be honest, I think the world would be better without religion in general.
(I already know people will get very angry at this)
(edited 7 years ago)
Blease ask zis question in 100 year and a lot of things will be different. Don't ask zis question in the middle of a global crisis.
Original post by Ladbants
Nothing sad or wrong about discussing and debating about a belief system. It's good to challenge and debate ideas.

Kan ewe keep it 2 won thred blease?
Reply 12
Original post by Ladbants
Are we better off without the religion of Islam existing or has it had an overall benefit in society?

Obviously 'better off' is not a statement of fact but of opinion. My opinion is that we would be better off without it as long as other ideologies e.g. christianity, communism etc do not get any bigger than they are currently.
Pretty lovely, I stand corrected - all religion except Buddhism ;]
Original post by Adamski191
You shouldn't just be asking this about Islam. At times, I ponder if the world could've been better off without Christianity. Even now, the only religion I can feel any compassion towards these days is Judaism.

Isn't the Tanakh pretty much the same as the Old Testament?
Without.
Reply 16
Don't forget what helped cause all this radicalisation in the first place
Reply 17
Forget the question, please let me know how you will get rid of Islam in the first place?? Then talk. All I can think of is madness to even attempt it so good to you for thinking right. :colonhash:
I don't think the problem lays within Islam. It is more to do with how we think of religions. If islam is to be eradicated then what about Christianity, Buddhism and other religions? Same could be said that Christianity brings evilness as there are people out there who are homophobic and kill for it. Religions bring both the good and the bad. Personally I don't think all the blame should be pointed to Islam, it is more to with the different individuals in my opinion.
All collective ideologies are poisonous. The entire notion of ideology is dangerous - they're tools to manipulate the vulnerable/gullible and are often also adopted by the naive and stupid amongst us. Political ideologies have also allowed people to wreak havoc across the world. We should be promoting education and individual freedom of thought, not this hive mentality of aligning with a predefined ideological position.

In a world where people are more educated and free to draw their own conclusions based on facts and solid evidence you will of course get evil people doing evil things but there will be no predefined doctrine as a basis to go from. They will simply be lone rangers, unless groups form and create a collective identity which is very likely given historical events.

https://mofanim.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/the-danger-of-ideologies/

Latest

Trending

Trending