The Student Room Group

I have £14,000 in the stock market, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fg45344
If I didn't know I wouldn't put £14,000 of my own money in it.

And the internet is a great place to learn how to invest.

So you did learn it on the internet. Lol get ready to lose ur moneys
Reply 41
Original post by Filler
So you did learn it on the internet. Lol get ready to lose ur moneys

I have a MSc in finance and econometrics and am currently doing a PhD in economics....

but yes a lot of the stuff I learnt off the internet. You can even use wikipedia, it's very good for portfolio theory (which is all your really need to know).
Original post by fg45344
I like to invest in companies for several reasons.....

1) growth stocks (like Apple, Starbucks)
They don't pay much dividend but they are great companies, they have a potential for a lot of growth. Apple is the world leader in computers and phones, it's almost cool to own a mac. The same goes for starbucks, the brand loyalty is so strong with them. All the cool people have to own a mac and drink starbucks unfortunately, it's this mentality that leads to great brand loyalty and profits. Starbucks could create their own water and people would buy it to look cool.

2) dividend stocks (like legal and general, BP)
These stocks don't have too much potential for growth because they pay out on average 7/7.5% of their earnings in dividends. I can use the dividend money to buy more stocks when the price is right...you have to buy at a good price, no point overpaying for a stock. Dividend stocks are usually less glamorous, they don't have the cool factor of starbucks or apple. They provide usually essential services and are solid as a rock. When you buy a stock like BP, you are planning to hold it forever, as like most dividend stocks.

The bottom line is those companies are all immensely profitable, and I have (I hope) paid a fair price for them. You want your portfolio to balance dividend and growth stocks and also have some bonds (as a hedge against market downturns).

As you age you want to allocate more of your portfolio towards bonds, as you can't afford wild market swings. Imagine the day before you retire, the stock market crashes, so before retirement you want to be mostly holding bonds.

You can take risk when you are young, as the market will correct itself over time, when you get old, you are running out of time.

If you want finance lessons, I can more than happily answer your questions on here. My masters degree was based in finance.

Starbucks is a great investment. Especially with the ap that they have.
Reply 43
Original post by fg45344
I have a MSc in finance and econometrics and am currently doing a PhD in economics....

but yes a lot of the stuff I learnt off the internet. You can even use wikipedia, it's very good for portfolio theory (which is all your really need to know).

Short term trading has very little to do with the economy / finance of a firm so thats irrelevant. As I said, if you read it of the internet get ready to lose your moneys one day or another
Reply 44
Original post by Filler
Short term trading has very little to do with the economy / finance of a firm so thats irrelevant. As I said, if you read it of the internet get ready to lose your moneys one day or another

I don't trade. I invest.

And the internet is an amazing tool to learn, so many people learn to invest from TSR itself! But if you want to learn to invest, learn from Warren Buffett...use his investment techniques.
Reply 45
Original post by DorianGrayism
Starbucks is a great investment. Especially with the ap that they have.

They have amazing brand loyalty, it's a bit like Apple in a way. I wish I had bought them sooner. Their margins are good as well, considering they make flavoured water.
Reply 46
Original post by fg45344
I don't trade. I invest.

And the internet is an amazing tool to learn, so many people learn to invest from TSR itself! But if you want to learn to invest, learn from Warren Buffett...use his investment techniques.

Internet isnt a good tool to learn. its a rubbish tool to learn. Warren Buffett doesnt tell you his real secrets. He says what generally everyone else says/ what is common knowledge. If people invest from TSR they are cucks lol.
Reply 47
Original post by Filler
Internet isnt a good tool to learn. its a rubbish tool to learn. Warren Buffett doesnt tell you his real secrets. He says what generally everyone else says/ what is common knowledge. If people invest from TSR they are cucks lol.

So everything I have written on this thread is garbage then, right? Come on man, be real. The internet has killed libraries, Buffett used to sit in the library reading every investing book....now you can do it online.

You can learn a lot from youtube as well...

1) modern portfolio theory
2) derivatives markets
3) fx markets
4) behavioural finance

it's all on youtube!!
Original post by Filler

Stop getting jealous because you don't do anything.
Original post by fg45344

should i buy my dollars now or in a week?
Reply 50
Original post by jamessmith15
should i buy my dollars now or in a week?

I don't know, market is very hard to predict in the short run.

But I'm guessing whoever you buy it from, they will rip you off. The bid ask spread on most FX brokers is massive.
Reply 51
Stop getting jealous because you don't do anything.

Who said I dont do anything. Stop making things up because you are jealous of me.

Original post by fg45344
So everything I have written on this thread is garbage then, right? Come on man, be real. The internet has killed libraries, Buffett used to sit in the library reading every investing book....now you can do it online.

You can learn a lot from youtube as well...

1) modern portfolio theory
2) derivatives markets
3) fx markets
4) behavioural finance

it's all on youtube!!

There are many flaws to all of those which render them useless. You cannot do long term trading unless you have insider knowledge as a lot of figures you get from the internet are false. Even if you assumed they were true, all those things are useless.
Reply 52
Original post by Filler
Who said I dont do anything. Stop making things up because you are jealous of me.

There are many flaws to all of those which render them useless. You cannot do long term trading unless you have insider knowledge as a lot of figures you get from the internet are false. Even if you assumed they were true, all those things are useless.

Tell that to the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) !

Falsifying figures lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Securities_and_Exchange_Commission
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Filler

Yeh, that is why you are attacking him LOL.

Why are you even here? Shouldn't you try to accomplish something with your life?
Reply 54
Yeh, that is why you are attacking him LOL.

Why are you even here? Shouldn't you try to accomplish something with your life?

Im not attacking him.
Im here for the same reason as you are m8.
Reply 55
Original post by fg45344
Tell that to the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) !

Falsifying figures lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Securities_and_Exchange_Commission

The SEC doesnt always manage to catch the guys.

Also you bought Apple when its decreasing since december? Why did you choose to buy it now especially?
Reply 56
Original post by Filler
The SEC doesnt always manage to catch the guys.

Also you bought Apple when its decreasing since december? Why did you choose to buy it now especially?

You buy on the dip, that is the whole point. Buffett bought Apple stock at $90.

There is a saying in finance....

"You have to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. That's how you make money on wall street"

The SEC jails the people it catches, so it's your choice to take that risk. Plus all the big companies ( Dow 30, FTSE 100) are not going to falsify figures.
Reply 57
Original post by fg45344
You buy on the dip, that is the whole point. Buffett bought Apple stock at $90.

There is a saying in finance....

"You have to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. That's how you make money on wall street"

The SEC jails the people it catches, so it's your choice to take that risk. Plus all the big companies ( Dow 30, FTSE 100) are not going to falsify figures.

Well the current trend is downwards so what if you buy at a dip and the downward trend continues. And Buffett was lucky as much as he was a genius. He got rich because of the rise of the silicon valley companies in his time, which is really rare to predict today. Of course he worked hard for it too. So theres no point learning what buffett said or did as those times were different and even then he wont tell you his secrets.
Reply 58
Original post by Filler
Well the current trend is downwards so what if you buy at a dip and the downward trend continues. And Buffett was lucky as much as he was a genius. He got rich because of the rise of the silicon valley companies in his time, which is really rare to predict today. Of course he worked hard for it too. So theres no point learning what buffett said or did as those times were different and even then he wont tell you his secrets.

So you have to predict the bottom, there is only so far a stock will fall, till people start buying it again.

The best time to buy was right after the financial crash, you would have made 8/9 times your money by now.

Buffett is the world's greatest investor, you need to learn from him. The only thing Buffett won't tell you is how he values a company, i.e. makes a fair price for it. There is something called the CAPM which deals with that and the SML (security market line).
Reply 59
Original post by fg45344
So you have to predict the bottom, there is only so far a stock will fall, till people start buying it again.

And how do you do that lel. Just because of Brexit you;re saying this?

Quick Reply

Latest