The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by george_c00per
Be safe and go somewhere else seeing as though you're going in 5 days. Italy is lovely!! :smile:

But I think my parents will still insist on going to Turkey. I'm just hoping officials ban tourists from going to Turkey or something so we don't have to go
Reply 121
Original post by the bear
the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye

What did you even say
All talk from Erdogan. He had to Skype a local TV station; he's huddled up in a hotel room with curtains closed. No access to an actual broadcaster.
Original post by the bear
the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye

Can we all go to your safe cave until the insane events of 2016 have blown over? :biggrin:
Reply 124
Original post by Plagioclase
God, I really hope this doesn't escalate...

WW3 is going to come nostradamus said it would
Live phone call from Erdogan: I call upon the people of my country to come out to the streets, to airports and stand against these rebels. These rebels will not win and will pay a heavy price.
Original post by JordanL_
Isn't a similar narrative pushed by any coup? You don't get all those soldiers to march through their own streets if you tell them you're going to be the next big dictator.

True...

Have to see what happens. Erdogan is an authoritarian dick head.

Maybe it will be like when the Tsars in Russia were overthrown and they got Tsar 2.0 in steroids with Stalin etc.
Original post by Al-farhan
Live phone call from Erdogan: I call upon the people of my country to come out to the streets, to airports and stand against these rebels. These rebels will not win and will pay a heavy price.

This was done from skype, I hope they don't win.
I'm so shocked
[video="youtube;iFVDBppmQYU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=iFVDBppmQYU[/video]
Original post by Noodle0
Can we all go to your safe cave until the insane events of 2016 have blown over? :biggrin:

Of course.... Gavin™ is on standby. Usherette™ was going to spend some time in Turkey but that does not look likely now.*
Anadol news agency: The Turkish intelligence agency under siege and reports of gunfire.
I very much dislike Erdogan, but how many coups result in more democracy? Not many, notwithstanding the democratic and secular ideals that these plotters claim to uphold.
Street fights/gunfire between police and army rebels Istanbul.
(Live on Arabic aljazera, their reporter is right there)
Original post by Grumpyteen
But I think my parents will still insist on going to Turkey. I'm just hoping officials ban tourists from going to Turkey or something so we don't have to go

Kind of thinking the same as well.. I know nothing might even happen but it will be very unstable and you never know what could occur.
With Erdogan telling people to take to the streets and doing his speech via the Internet, it looks like he knows the clock is ticking.
Shits kicking off big time!
Huge explosion in Ankara, plume of smoke

Spoiler

Like every other migrant lol
Al-Jazera: Loyalist army personnel come out to face rebels.
Original post by Mathemagicien
We can only hope its a coup, anything is better than Erdogan

Friday night is always the best time for a coup, imo, since things can settle down before the working week

Edit: here's the Reddit live thread. https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

Summary: Looks like a group (now looks like they are Ataturkists) in the Turkish military took their head general hostage, taken over TV stations, airport, bridges, shot down a police helecopter, called a curfew and martial law, social media partially blocked. The military statement is that secularism needs to be restored. Erdogan's party called for people to get on the streets. Unfortunately Erdogan is apparently safe, and his PM is and has been claiming for a while that the coup has failed. Erdogan has issued a statement from an undisclosed secure location.

Apparently, Turkish military sees itself sort of as the constitutional guardians of secularism (the legacy of Ataturk). They are expected to kick off a coup if the government gets too religious.

This is fantastic news! Without Erdogan the support for ISIS could stop. As could the inhumane treatment of the Kurds.
Without Erdogan the Kurds may get some autonomy from Turkey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending