The Student Room Group

What exactly is your problem with benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Only problem I have is when people are perfectly capable of working but instead choose to claim their JSA and spend it all on weed, or mum's that say **** it, I'll have kids, claim CSA, feed the kids on the cheapest **** possible, only buy them new clothes when they're too small and that means more money for me to buy what I want! I literally know people like this and have fallen out with them over it, living a life of relative luxury while their kids are clearly going without.

Other than that, I'm well aware that the majority of JSA claimants are out of work and generally want to work but are a victim of circumstance. I know that some single mums can't take on a job because they have nobody to look after the kids.
There are of course people on disability benefits that are hamming it up a bit so they can sit on their arse, but the majority genuinely can't work due to disability, chronic illness or debilitating mental illness and are made to jump through hoops just to get what they're entitled to. Disability benefits can pay quite well when people get what they're entitled to, which then of course leads to resentment from others when they 'can afford nice things with their government cheques' but a lot of them would be working and making more money if they were able.
Original post by tazarooni89
You misunderstood then.

If you say so. I don't know why you're still complaining to me about it though, why don't you take it up with them?

Well, obviously. I don't make an issue of those who use benefits correctly because I don't have a problem with them. Benefit abuse is the problem that needs to be solved, so that's the issue people focus on.

What? I'm not complaining, stop it, you posted here, and I disagreed, as I can lol and I'm now quoting you, and you keep quoting me despite the fact I'm willing to agree to disagree...
No it's not what people focus on. It's what you now claim to have an exclusive issue with which I find hard to believe. Because first thing you said is too many people abuse it. This indicates you aren't aware of the system, it's almost like I dedicated the thread to you and people like you. I obviously don't agree, you proceed to say I'm complaining lol. Mate it's my thread. Asking you how do you know people abuse the system--(which translates to: "they don't need it so let's do away with it altogether or make it even more restricted than what I wasn't even aware they had done already" :colonhash: "to the point where it's almost impossible for deserving or needy people to claim and receive benefits due to my generalisations that they shouldn't")--the question was rhetorical, so I dismissed your anecdote, because I don't know you from Adam so I wouldn't believe you anyway, get it?
Original post by WoodyMKC
Only problem I have is when people are perfectly capable of working but instead choose to claim their JSA and spend it all on weed, or mum's that say **** it, I'll have kids, claim CSA, feed the kids on the cheapest **** possible, only buy them new clothes when they're too small and that means more money for me to buy what I want! I literally know people like this and have fallen out with them over it, living a life of relative luxury while their kids are clearly going without.

Other than that, I'm well aware that the majority of JSA claimants are out of work and generally want to work but are a victim of circumstance. I know that some single mums can't take on a job because they have nobody to look after the kids.
There are of course people on disability benefits that are hamming it up a bit so they can sit on their arse, but the majority genuinely can't work due to disability, chronic illness or debilitating mental illness and are made to jump through hoops just to get what they're entitled to. Disability benefits can pay quite well when people get what they're entitled to, which then of course leads to resentment from others when they 'can afford nice things with their government cheques' but a lot of them would be working and making more money if they were able.

Ok. Well rounded reasoning since you primarily recognise different types of situations.
I'm in favour of most of the benefits specified in OP. The question is how much should be paid, and in what circumstances. To imply that people are against a particular group of recipients -- say, disabled people -- because they don't like how the system operates with regard to the benefit in question is completely stupid.

Anyway, some of it is just principle. Yes, it annoys me that people successfully live on JSA for years and take all the people who are working and paying taxes for idiots, and I don't care that it's a small minority and a vanishingly insignificant proportion of government or even welfare expenditure.
Original post by 0to100
What? I'm not complaining, stop it, you posted here, and I disagreed, as I can lol and I'm now quoting you, and you keep quoting me despite the fact I'm willing to agree to disagree...
No it's not what people focus on. It's what you now claim to have an exclusive issue with which I find hard to believe. Because first thing you said is too many people abuse it. This indicates you aren't aware of the system, it's almost like I dedicated the thread to you and people like you. I obviously don't agree, you proceed to say I'm complaining lol. Mate it's my thread.

What exactly are you disagreeing about?

Do you think that there aren't any people who abuses the system? Or do you think that I also have a problem with people who claim benefits correctly?

Asking you how do you know people abuse the system--(which translates to: "they don't need it so let's do away with it altogether or make it even more restricted than what I wasn't even aware they had done already" :colonhash: "to the point where it's almost impossible for deserving or needy people to claim and receive benefits due to my generalisations that they shouldn't")--the question was rhetorical, so I dismissed your anecdote, because I don't know you from Adam so I wouldn't believe you anyway, get it?

Why bother asking if you don't want an answer? :s-smilie:
What exactly are you disagreeing about?

Do you think that there aren't any people who abuses the system? Or do you think that I also have a problem with people who claim benefits correctly?

Why bother asking if you don't want an answer? :s-smilie:

Now you're being obtuse. It's in black and white, our conversation has virtually ended several times. You're starting to get on my nerves. Last time: like I said right there, you primarily paying attention to those who abuse benefits, which is a massive minority despite your insignificant anecdotes, is accusatory and apathetic towards those who genuinely need it. It indicates you want benefits tightened and restricted more so than what they already are, which says to ME and I'm sure anyone else who were to step into our conversation, that firstly you don't even know what you're talking about. And secondly... because you feel people abuse, you take more issue with that over the fact there are people who genuinely need it, so your ignorant conservatism will impede and hinder those who do need it to claim furthermore than how hard it is now. Are we done here?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm in favour of most of the benefits specified in OP. The question is how much should be paid, and in what circumstances. To imply that people are against a particular group of recipients -- say, disabled people -- because they don't like how the system operates with regard to the benefit in question is completely stupid.

Anyway, some of it is just principle. Yes, it annoys me that people successfully live on JSA for years and take all the people who are working and paying taxes for idiots, and I don't care that it's a small minority and a vanishingly insignificant proportion of government or even welfare expenditure.

I wasn't implying anything. That's literally what they're inadvertently/indifferently doing. My issue is, "you're on benefits" being a derogatory thing to say, as that's how it's always used. And this comes from people obviously showing for themselves that they aren't aware of "benefits" actually assisting those who aren't feckless or scroungers, and people unknowingly or uncaringly still make benefits synonymous with being lazy or scheming. So I proceeded to break down various types of benefits for those people who I'm sure aren't aware of the different types of benefits out there as opposed to those stereotyped on the Jeremy Kyle show :colonhash: And great, congrats for admitting that there is indeed only a minority of schemers and system abusers. My thread has met is purpose.
Original post by 0to100
Now you're being obtuse. It's in black and white, our conversation has virtually ended several times. You're starting to get on my nerves. Last time: like I said right there, you primarily paying attention to those who abuse benefits, which is a massive minority despite your insignificant anecdotes, is accusatory and apathetic towards those who genuinely need it. It indicates you want benefits tightened and restricted more so than what they already are, which says to ME and I'm sure anyone else who were to step into our conversation, that firstly you don't even know what you're talking about. And secondly... because you feel people abuse, you take more issue with that over the fact there are people who genuinely need it, so your ignorant conservatism will impede and hinder those who do need it to claim furthermore than how hard it is now. Are we done here?

What do you want then?*For people to ignore abuse of the benefits system in case it hurts the feelings of those who claim benefits correctly? Or for people to add "Don't forget about those who genuinely need benefits though!" every time they talk about benefit abuse?
What do you want then?*For people to ignore abuse of the benefits system in case it hurts the feelings of those who claim benefits correctly? Or for people to add "Don't forget about those who genuinely need benefits though!" every time they talk about benefit abuse?

No what do you want? Now you're complaining. We're done here you know.
Original post by 0to100
Ok. Well rounded reasoning since you primarily recognise different types of situations.

I think I'm probably a bit biased on the types of claimants I don't like to see as they're people that I know and actively dislike :lol: Some that just walk around the neighbourhood all day smoking weed in public and stinking the place up... some that drink on the streets... just wastes of space IMO.
Then the mums, as I said their kids are always looking skanky while they've always got nice new clothes on, buying all the latest consoles and games for their other half (who just happen to be the guys I was talking about above).
Then there are guys like my neighbour that claims disability benefits for being unable to work because he always feels unwell and is trying to claim for a free mobility scooter, when his doctor says that all of his medical problems are because he's obese and doesn't exercise and the doc would rather him get off his arse and lose weight, rather than give him a scooter and make him even lazier and inevitably fatter. Oh, and claims to be partially blind and has a stick... yet literally just holds it under his arm while he's out, doesn't even use it and the doc says that, according to his eye test results, he doesn't need it! I know all of this because his wife has a big mouth and wants to leave him lol.

But yeah, other than that, I actually work part time helping various types of disabled people fill in benefit forms, so I know first hand how hard a lot of them have to work to get the benefits they're entitled to just so they can live because it's impossible for them to hold down a job.
I'm guessing those of you that are making benefits out to be a bad thing have probably never needed it. It took forever for my dad to get his disability allowance mainly because their workers are completely useless. Getting the benefits is not as easy as you think.

Of course we need to tackle those who abuse the system but the ones who need it shouldn't be punished along the way.

As of the whole 'don't have children if you can't afford them' argument, well the children are there now. You can look down on the parents' decision but it has happened and the child shouldn't be punished for it. Perhaps they could give some benefits in the form of vouchers (or something along those lines) instead of cash so they can directly get things like food and clothes. I'm not sure how well this would work though.
Original post by 0to100
No what do you want? Now you're complaining. We're done here you know.

I want you to just calm down and realise that the whole world isn't against genuine benefit claimants lol...
(edited 7 years ago)
I think I'm probably a bit biased on the types of claimants I don't like to see as they're people that I know and actively dislike :lol: Some that just walk around the neighbourhood all day smoking weed in public and stinking the place up... some that drink on the streets... just wastes of space IMO.
Then the mums, as I said their kids are always looking skanky while they've always got nice new clothes on, buying all the latest consoles and games for their other half (who just happen to be the guys I was talking about above).
Then there are guys like my neighbour that claims disability benefits for being unable to work because he always feels unwell and is trying to claim for a free mobility scooter, when his doctor says that all of his medical problems are because he's obese and doesn't exercise and the doc would rather him get off his arse and lose weight, rather than give him a scooter and make him even lazier and inevitably fatter. Oh, and claims to be partially blind and has a stick... yet literally just holds it under his arm while he's out, doesn't even use it and the doc says that, according to his eye test results, he doesn't need it! I know all of this because his wife has a big mouth and wants to leave him lol.

But yeah, other than that, I actually work part time helping various types of disabled people fill in benefit forms, so I know first hand how hard a lot of them have to work to get the benefits they're entitled to just so they can live because it's impossible for them to hold down a job.

Yea well everyone's aware of people like that. Didn't have to go into detail about already addressed stereotypes. My thread and all my posts are literally and specifically about those who don't fit those stereotypes, who do claim and do receive, such as pensioners. People don't get that clean cut productive citizens claim benefits as well :colonhash: I'm confronting the idiotic mentality that they don't exist.
I want you to calm down and realise that the whole world isn't against genuine benefit claimants lol...

You done? Like I said before, and will say everytime you quote for no reason: people who harp on about the minority of abusers are blatantly disregarding the majority of who don't abuse, and your stringency will only apathetically make it harder for them. Now hush.
Original post by 0to100
You done? Like I said before, and will say everytime you quote for no reason: people who harp on about the minority of abusers are blatantly disregarding the majority of who don't abuse, and your stringency will only apathetically make it harder for them. Now hush.

Except we're clearly not, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, I'm guessing you actually understand like 60% of the words you use.

This bothers me so much. :angry: I remember a young kid who attended my little sister's primary school who always used to go into school looking a complete mess because they had to get ready all by themself in the morning. The kid also had to help their younger sibling but their mum always looked perfect. It's horrible.

And the sad thing is, there's nothing the teachers can do. The child is being neglected but the social services aren't always reliable.
My problem, or better worded as "issue", is that I work hard and have a big chunk of my earnings taken through taxes. If I am working hard to fund other people it has to be for an absolutely necessary and justifiable reason - disability for instance, where the person is so disabled there is no possibility of work, I am fine with.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Except we're clearly not, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, I'm guessing you actually understand like 60% of the words you use.

"Clearly" not what? Since I wasn't talking to you there.
And which words then smartass.

Original post by Legendary Quest
This bothers me so much. :angry: I remember a young kid who attended my little sister's primary school who always used to go into school looking a complete mess because they had to get ready all by themself in the morning. The kid also had to help their younger sibling but their mum always looked perfect. It's horrible.

And the sad thing is, there's nothing the teachers can do. The child is being neglected but the social services aren't always reliable.

You two, the mums thing isn't exclusive to people on benefits...:erm:
Original post by 0to100
You done? Like I said before, and will say everytime you quote for no reason: people who harp on about the minority of abusers are blatantly disregarding the majority of who don't abuse*and your stringency will only apathetically make it harder for them. Now hush.

Those who don't abuse benefits don't need to be scrutinised though, they're just free to continue receiving their benefits as they are, no problem. That doesn't mean abusers should just be left to continue abusing. Benefit thieves are committing a crime, and we don't ignore criminals just because they're a minority and everyone else is law abiding.

And I'll quote as much as I like, thanks. Nobody's forcing you to read or reply to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grand High Witch
My problem, or better worded as "issue", is that I work hard and have a big chunk of my earnings taken through taxes. If I am working hard to fund other people it has to be for an absolutely necessary and justifiable reason - disability for instance, where the person is so disabled there is no possibility of work, I am fine with.

Ok, and cool. No problem. Just know if you take issue with other forms of benefits, you might make it harder for those claiming disability :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending