The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Conspiracy theory I've seen: "It looks like it’s a coup alright. But a staged one by AKP to cement their dictatorship in"

Erdogan trying to get to Istanbul Airport but gunfire heard there. Will he be captured?
(edited 7 years ago)
What does any of this mean? I'm pretty sure 99% of people watching the news have no idea what's going on ahaha
Original post by Ladbants
What does any of this mean? I'm pretty sure 99% of people watching the news have no idea what's going on ahaha

FETÖ is staging a coup but fails. Do a research, you ll get it with enough research.
Original post by Grand High Witch
How will NATO react?

Also, if this is involving most of the military how does the present government hope to win? With police officers?

I don't think it's as clean cut as some of the media are making out.

Seems like it wasn't all of the generals leading the coup attempt, at least one senior military official has been held hostage.

Also a TV station building has just been blown up, possibly by loyalist army/air force. Lots of people on the streets as well after Erdogan's address blocking tanks and things.

Who knows how this will end up. If things get bloody I don't think the West will be able to stand by like they did in Syria.
Original post by Grumpyteen
Is it still safe to go to Turkey on holiday?...

As a rule, when the weather forecast predicts lead, I'd probably advise against it.
Original post by Grumpyteen
I'm meant to be going to Turkey on Tuesday though. How violent?! Will violence go on throughout the whole of Turkey or just in Istanbul or Ankara?

I'd look at your holidays cancellation policy. I imagine all flights will be postponed, already planes are being turned around. Seems the army has taken the main airport, so it doesn't matter where you're staying
Funny how the President who banned street protests is now telling people to street protest

Also notice how it seems to be only men out protesting? I wonder why no women want to help Erdo
Original post by viddy9
Conspiracy theory I've seen: "It looks like it’s a coup alright. But a staged one by AKP to cement their dictatorship in"

EU has called on army officers to disobey orders.

Erdogan trying to get to Istanbul Airport but gunfire heard there. Will he be captured?

When?
Original post by TheAtaKhan
FETÖ is staging a coup but fails. Do a research, you ll get it with enough research.

How does everyone here seem to know about it so well? How is everyone so well informed about this country?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171960013&page=1

This guy is posting updates from inside airport on another forum :frown:
Original post by Ladbants
How does everyone here seem to know about it so well? How is everyone so well informed about this country?

I m turkish and stuff are happening near me dude
Original post by Al-farhan
When?

I misheard: it was Turkey's EU minister.
Original post by TheAtaKhan
I m turkish and stuff are happening near me dude

Oh ok
Tanks are falling back, anti-coup are winning.
Looks to me like Erdogan is turning the tide.
Original post by TelAviv
Funny how the President who banned street protests is now telling people to street protest

Also notice how it seems to be only men out protesting? I wonder why no women want to help Erdo

I think this is good news. Erdogan was becoming increasingly dictatorial and moving the country toward Islamism. Turkey's involvement with ISIS and their continued support to Al-Nusra shows just how far the country had moved away from Ataturk's secular ideology.

I suspect the military felt that they might be facing their last opportunity to act in their traditional role as the guardians of Ataturk's legacy (Erdogan had been defanging the military for years).

However, the dangers in this situation are substantial; it's likely that Islamists across the region will be electrified by this, and if a civil war breaks out in Turkey that will be very bad.
Original post by viddy9
Looks to me like Erdogan is turning the tide.

How is he turning the tide? Tanks are now surrounding the parliament building and PM's office, they have shut down state TV, the airports, the bridges.

This clearly isn't a handful of tinpot colonels; they have every incentive to do what it takes to maintain control or their lives won't be worth living
Original post by AlexanderHam
I think this is good news. Erdogan was becoming increasingly dictatorial and moving the country toward Islamism. Turkey's involvement with ISIS and their continued support to Al-Nusra shows just how far the country had moved away from Ataturk's secular ideology.

I suspect the military felt that they might be facing their last opportunity to act in their traditional role as the guardians of Ataturk's legacy (Erdogan had been defanging the military for years).

However, the dangers in this situation are substantial; it's likely that Islamists across the region will be electrified by this, and if a civil war breaks out in Turkey that will be very bad.

You are right on except one thing. Military did not stage a coup. First army division commander made it clear. It is work of FETÖ, the religious organization that was once an ally of Erdogan and now their "jew" scapegoats.
Original post by AlexanderHam
How is he turning the tide? Tanks are now surrounding the parliament building and PM's office, they have shut down state TV, the airports, the bridges.

This clearly isn't a handful of tinpot colonels; they have every incentive to do what it takes to maintain control or their lives won't be worth living

That is the thing, if you start a coup, it really is all or nothing, little point in ever giving up or stopping.
Protestors are live streaming on periscope (the app)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest