The Student Room Group

Are there any benefits to being religious that can't be got elsewhere?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
What's your explanation if you (or from others who claim to have) had met a soothsayer who had accurate tellings about your past and future life?

I have never met one, nor do I know anyone who has. I vaguely recall one of my old Sunday School teachers telling us that they almost certainly are in league with the devil, though my own views on that are somewhat sceptical.

However, if such people can actually make such predictions accurately and consistently - especially under experimental conditions - then perhaps they would be worth investigating more seriously. I am open to such things being proven if done so empirically.
Reply 61
Original post by tazarooni89
That's a case of you misunderstanding what I've written rather than my short term memory, actually.

We're talking about benefits to being religious that can't be got elsewhere, i.e. those such as afterlife rewards, which are only genuine benefits if the religion is true.*

Ok not memory then, you are genuinely clueless.

You keep talking about whether the religion is true. Like I said, religion doesn't have to be 'true' to have a benefit. If you still don't see your contradiction, take a break and study that sentence until you get it.
Original post by SummerStrawberry
I have never met one, nor do I know anyone who has. I vaguely recall one of my old Sunday School teachers telling us that they almost certainly are in league with the devil, though my own views on that are somewhat sceptical.

However, if such people can actually make such predictions accurately and consistently - especially under experimental conditions - then perhaps they would be worth investigating more seriously. I am open to such things being proven if done so empirically.

They might not be too hard to get in touch with (the realistic ones ofc).
Original post by xylas
You keep talking about whether the religion is true. Like I said, religion doesn't have to be 'true' to have a benefit. If you still don't see your contradiction, take a break and study that sentence until you get it.

I know religion doesn't have to be true to have a benefit. But we're not talking about any old benefit, we're talking about benefits "that can't be got elsewhere", as per the thread title.

For those types of benefits (such as afterlife rewards), the religion needs to be true. For other benefits (that are non-unique and not relevant to the discussion), the religion does not need to be true.

It's pretty simple really.
It completely depends on your mindset/personality.

If you're the kind of person who rejects any kind of spiritual beliefs/rituals, then obviously religion will not benefit you.

But if your personality is such that you act better or feel more secure believing in something spiritual, obviously you'll feel better being religious.

I don't think there's a simple yes/no answer to this.
Original post by theBranicAc
being religious is not about the advanatges or vice versa !

The whole structure of religion is based on reward and punishment, apparently God did make it to be about advantages, all the pleasure you can get from heaven
Original post by Racoon
An eternity with God as opposed to an eternity separated from God.

God is a concept not an entity, a concept we humans made to label the eternal awareness of life, that exists whether you're in this body or not, so even if you died you'd be eternally with this God character people define it as
I know religion doesn't have to be true to have a benefit. But we're not talking about any old benefit, we're talking about benefits "that can't be got elsewhere", as per the thread title.

For those types of benefits (such as afterlife rewards), the religion needs to be true. For other benefits (that are non-unique and not relevant to the discussion), the religion does not need to be true.

It's pretty simple really.

I think what we're talking about is benefits you get from religion in this life, regardless of if its true or not
E.g. You mention afterlife rewards, we're not talking about the actual afterlife being a benefit, we're talking about the effects/benefits of believing in the afterlife rewards,right now on earth
So the benefit a religious person has in that belief, is a sense of peace or joy that when they're dead things will feel good
But that's not really exclusive to religious people
When I was religious I would often have fear of hell, but now as an atheist I feel peace about death because I know nothing will happen, I feel joy that I'll be released from all suffering and effort and I'll go back to my true essential nature
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
I think what we're talking about is benefits you get from religion in this life, regardless of if its true or not

I can't think of any unique benefits that religion offers in this life regardless of whether or not it's true. But then I'd make the point that, even if there are no such benefits, this wouldn't constitute a valid argument that "there's no point in being religious then".

Firstly, that's because many people are religious because they hope to receive the unique benefits of their religion in the afterlife (Heaven etc.).

Secondly, it's because I think believing in something that is true is a benefit in itself. Personally, even if belief in a religion (or anything) offered no other benefits whatsoever, I'd still want to believe in it if it is true.

Thirdly, it's because, although many of the benefits of religion in this life are not unique and could be realised in other ways, a lot of them probably wouldn't be if it weren't for religion. For example, lots of Muslims donate money to the poor because it is compulsory in their religion. Of course, they could easily still donate that much money even if they weren't religious, but I doubt as many of them would. The religion raises more awareness of the need to donate than there would have otherwise been.
Original post by xylas
Having faith in something is not a benefit! Neither is a 'relationship' without you showing what exactly you get in return (love, money, pleasure etc take your pick :smile: )

Not so much the faith itself, but the feeling of faith. It's difficult to describe to a non-religious person, but it's not the same as any other positive emotion that I've experienced. Also, there benefits to an individual's relationship with a Deity vary greatly, depending on the person and Deity - including hope that they can't find elsewhere, happiness or emotional fulfilment, and a purpose or drive that may be lacking in their life. Of course, you could argue that this isn't a benefit of religion, but that would be a strawman argument, as you could then say, "well, what's the point in relationships in general? Why date someone, or stay in touch with your parents, or have friends?" A relationship with a Deity is a clear benefit of religion in general.
For me, as a Muslim, and other Muslims (especially those that have converted), can feel ..
Reply 71

You still don't get it even after ImNotReallyMe has tried another way of explaining it to you! Stop talking about whether religion is true or not, you just sound clueless. This thread is only about unique benefits that come from being religious, not potential benefits that depend on whether it is actually true or not.

I can't think of any unique benefits that religion offers in this life regardless of whether or not it's true. But then I'd make the point that, even if there are no such benefits, this wouldn't constitute a valid argument that "there's no point in being religious then".

Ok so you can't think of any unique benefits "in this life". Good. This thread is only talking about "in this life", unless you can prove there is a life after this one in order for you to suggest the possibility of being benefited 'not in this life'.

This thread is also not about 'is there a point to being religious'. Of course there are many benefits to being religious, however no-one has demonstrated a unique benefit.

Original post by Student403
It completely depends on your mindset/personality. I don't think there's a simple yes/no answer to this.

If it depends on your personality then the simple answer is no since by having a different personality you can get the same benefits!

Original post by stripystockings
Not so much the faith itself, but the feeling of faith. It's difficult to describe to a non-religious person, but it's not the same as any other positive emotion that I've experienced. Also, there benefits to an individual's relationship with a Deity vary greatly, depending on the person and Deity - including hope that they can't find elsewhere, happiness or emotional fulfilment, and a purpose or drive that may be lacking in their life. Of course, you could argue that this isn't a benefit of religion, but that would be a strawman argument, as you could then say, "well, what's the point in relationships in general? Why date someone, or stay in touch with your parents, or have friends?" A relationship with a Deity is a clear benefit of religion in general.

Haha you assume I'm a non-religious person! What makes you think you have more experience with being religious than me?

Hope is not a benefit. All those other things like happiness can be got elsewhere.

You don't know what a straw-man argument is. And having a relationship is not a benefit but might provide benefits. Show me why you think a relationship with a 'deity' provides benefits.

Original post by Ladymusiclover
Well me being religious is personal to me so it's hard to answer if it has benefits in regards to others.

Lol you can't think of a single benefit of being religious to someone else?
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol you can't think of a single benefit of being religious to someone else?

Lol I don't have to.
Believing in heaven is the only one I can think of.
@xylas you assume everyone can be changed or wants to change. This is not true
Reply 75
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Lol I don't have to.

You don't have to be on this thread either.

Original post by Sternumator
Believing in heaven is the only one I can think of.

Belief is not a benefit in itself.

Original post by Student403
@xylas you assume everyone can be changed or wants to change. This is not true

Explain where you got that from. I'm asking a simple question that's all.
Original post by xylas
You don't have to be on this thread either.

I chose to be on this thread to give my opinion. Which I did. You just wasn't satisfied with my opinion. :redface:
Original post by xylas

Belief is not a benefit in itself.

It is because because those people can live in the bliss of believing that there is something better ahead of them. They don't have to fear death, they can find comfort when loved ones die that they are in a better place. They enjoy benefits of their belief when they are alive. And they will never be disappointed that their beliefs were wrong because they will be dead before they find out.
Original post by xylas

Explain where you got that from. I'm asking a simple question that's all.

Here

Original post by xylas

If it depends on your personality then the simple answer is no since by having a different personality you can get the same benefits!

One does not simple "have" a different personality. People are different. It's normal.
Original post by SummerStrawberry

9 When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord.
There are a HUGE number of charlatans. I accept that the odd one may have a "gift". But the bible is clear. Leave it alone!
On the benefit side, you are looking for cold hard proof. My religion gives me hope, love, community. My God gives me everlasting life, love, friendship, forgiveness, omnipresence I am never alone, lonely, unloved, unheard. You won't find cold hard evidence. It's FAITH. Some of these can be found elsewhere but a promise of eternal life can only be found in religion

Quick Reply

Latest