The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
What will happen to the army if they lose
Do we know where Erdogan is at the moment?*
Daily Beast reports Erdogan's plane was refused landing in Istanbul, then flew out of the country. They say he sought asylum in Germany which was refused and is now flying to London

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/07/15/erdogan-seeks-asylum-in-germany-report.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

I don't know what the value of these claims are
Has anyone been killed or was this a peaceful coup?
Original post by TheAtaKhan
You are right on except one thing. Military did not stage a coup. First army division commander made it clear. It is work of FETÖ, the religious organization that was once an ally of Erdogan and now their "jew" scapegoats.

The AKP claims that this is a Gulenist coup sounds preposterous and paranoid. The military announced they were appointing a Council that would operate according to Kemalism
Original post by Trapz99

Some gunfire heard. Still a power struggle going on. Coup not fully complete yet.
Original post by Trapz99

No deaths as of yet, tanks used for coup are falling back when met with civilian resistance
Original post by sbarrie2

Daily Beast reports his plane was refused landing in Istanbul, that they flew out of the country and that he sought asylum in Germany which was refused. They claim he is now flying to London

I don't know how accurate that is
No deaths as of yet, tanks used for coup are falling back when met with civilian resistance

Nope. The tanks heading to the PM's office just drove straight through. The parliament is still surrounded by tanks. The officers effecting this coup are not going to just back down now
Original post by sbarrie2

Safe in the resort town of Marmaris apparently, where he was on holiday (see: BBC). Whether he has moved or not, no idea.
Original post by The_Opinion
That is the thing, if you start a coup, it really is all or nothing, little point in ever giving up or stopping.

Exactly. Daily Beast reports Erdogan has left the country and is seeking asylum in European countries.

That doesn't sound to me like the tide is turning, it sounds like he is losing badly. They wouldn't have launched this coup without substantial support in the military, and with the support of CHP party voters it's not like the AKP can call on 90% of the population to support them.

There are reports of shooting, it sounds like the military is not going to just head back to their barracks because a few Islamist protestors said some mean things to their tank
Original post by Trapz99

It is about to change as we speak
Live CNN footage shows army firing at protesters
Original post by MrDystopia
Safe in the resort town of Marmaris apparently, where he was on holiday (see: BBC). Whether he has moved or not, no idea.

It's being reported that he has flown out of the country
Original post by AlexanderHam
Nope. The tanks heading to the PM's office just drove straight through. The parliament is still surrounded by tanks. The officers effecting this coup are not going to just back down now

I am in Istanbul rn, I watched it live in here.
Well, I definitely like the idea of a secular government. I'm sympathetic to the cause the military claims to be fighting for, although I wonder if it will be any better in the end than Erdogan?

I'm really just wondering if anyone else will get involved, or whether everyone will just let Turkey fight this out internally and accept the legitimacy of the winner?
(edited 7 years ago)
I am in Istanbul rn, I watched it live in here.

So you watched one small incident within your immediate perception. There are many other incidents all over the city, the military have opened fire and they are not backing down.
I order for a coup to be complete, does the army have to take control of every city or just the capital city?
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, I definitely like the idea of a secular government. I'm sympathetic to the cause the military claims to be fighting for, although I wonder if it will be any better in the end than Erdogan?

They're both authoritarian. The difference is one is Islamist authoritarian and one is secular authoritarian. I know which I'd prefer.
Original post by Filler
What will happen to the army if they lose

Is it not pretty obvious all of the leaders will be killed and many soldiers as well, Erdogan will then tighten his grip on the Military and the country as a whole reducing the Military's power so it couldn't happen again and if any Turkish soldier speaks out they will be killed. Also it will be even harder for Turkish Secularist Civilians to gain power in Turkey Erdogan will put them down straight away.
(edited 7 years ago)
The stream I'm watching I can hear what sounds like gun shots. Not sure though. You can hear the jets flying by every minute (Ankara)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply