The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viddy9
Still looks to me that Erdogan is in a stronger position than he was at 10pm.

Can you explain?
Original post by AlexanderHam
He believes this is a "Gulenist" coup. That is highly unlikely, it's like Stalin claiming a coup against him was by Trotsky. If you've read Animal Farm, Gulen is like their Snowball.

The coup is by secular Kemalist elements

Then what are you saying to the fact that CHP leader opposed the coup openly?
According to Aljazera: Military command has ordered all personnel to return to their bases.

Is it over?!
Original post by Al-farhan
A lot of conflicting reports right now.
But 3 hours into the coup the rebel faction in the army don't have full control yet.
In the morning we may wake up with erdogan still in power, or a military couple complete.

i feel sorry for the turkish people :redface:
Turkey has intermittently had democratic government since the 1920s, but they really were mostly a one-party state under the CHP which was Ataturk's party. They believe in secularism, womens' rights, etc.

The military has undertaken about 5 coups between 1950 and 1993, mostly to oppose leftist elements. It's true that each time the military has handed power back to civilians after a period.

The problem is, what if they hold and election and erdogan wins? They have to tread carefully to bring back democracy but a secular democracy, they might require a military goernment for a few years until the ISIS/PKK crisis has passed

Thanks
Original post by TheAtaKhan
Then what are you saying to the fact that CHP leader opposed the coup openly?

What do you say to the fact the military itself has said it is Kemalist coup? I'm not saying the CHP is behind this, I'm saying Kemalist elements in the military are behind it.

Blaming Gulen is preposterous, but fully consistent with Erdogan/AKP paranoia that views everything through the lens of their own internal party struggles
Al-Jazera: Turkish special forces (loyal to erdogan) say they are getting control of the situation.
I m really making it short.

Erdogan's Islamism : Do your prayer, vote for Erdogan and sleep. Anyone who opposes Erdogan is evil.

ISIS Islamism : Kill and behead the infidels.

I hope you can see the difference, both are really bad types of Islamism but the difference is really important.

He believes this is a "Gulenist" coup. That is highly unlikely, it's like Stalin claiming a coup against him was by Trotsky. If you've read Animal Farm, Gulen is like their Snowball.

The coup is by secular Kemalist elements

Thanks guys.
According to Aljazera: Military command has ordered all personnel to return to their bases.

Is it over?!

Whole coup has been made without military commands orders, they are naturally ordering that but it is not over yet.
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Me too :frown:
Let us hope that ErDOGan is shot and hanged.
Whole coup has been made without military commands orders, they are naturally ordering that but it is not over yet.

Al-Jazera: Turkish special forces (loyal to erdogan) say they are getting control of the situation.

Do you have a preference about who comes out on top?
Original post by PrincessBO$$

Why? What I'm seeing from the BBC and Reddit, the consensus is that it is as a good thing, the coup that is.
What do you say to the fact the military itself has said it is Kemalist coup? I'm not saying the CHP is behind this, I'm saying Kemalist elements in the military are behind it.

Blaming Gulen is preposterous, but fully consistent with Erdogan/AKP paranoia that views everything through the lens of their own internal party struggles

First of all, Gülen and Erdogan were allies and both are evil guys.
Everyone including Kemalists in Turkey know that.

Secondly, first army divisions commander declared that it was not done under their orders. The portion of the army that siezed the website and governments TV declared what you say. It is not legit.
Me too :frown:

Imagine how terrible some of the people feel? Tomorrow they wake up confused and worried! They don't know who will run the country? the military or the president? :s-smilie:
God make thinks easy for the people of Turkey they have been so kind and helpful to Somalia when no-one was there for them.
Ameen :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Scrappy-coco

Both of us are right actually my post was a little old tho
Original post by Scrappy-coco

I'm against the coup regardless of what erdogan has done.
Get rid of him via the ballot box, not the coward's way.
Original post by 34908seikj
Why? What I'm seeing from the BBC and Reddit, the consensus is that it is as a good thing, the coup that is.

It may be a good thing for some. However you cannot deny there is quite a few people who will be worried and confused to whats happening.
I'm against the coup regardless of what erdogan has done.
Get rid of him via the ballot box, not the coward's way.

Fair point
Protests or military force can only make the situation even more messy.
Original post by 34908seikj

BBC has always been hypocritical in reporting news about us, dont believe them about news on Turkey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending