The Student Room Group

Please read this #blacklivesmatter

https://www.facebook.com/jay.stalien/posts/911372818974402

This Facebook post from an African American police officer went viral recently. He explains that while many black people are quick to shout "Black lives matter" whenever there is a police shooting of a black man, far more blacks are killed by other black people. There is a problem, especially in some black communities in the US, of gang-related crime and homicides which so many people are ignoring.
I think most Black Americans are already aware of this. I do think they need to focus on black on black crime issues more though.
I wish that instead of going after such insignifcant things they would fix their own backyard before going out and claiming the police is somehow racist.

I had an argument with a blacklivesmatter activist on a video I produced looking at the issue, and when he couldn't provide evidence of systemic police racism he said he wanted to fight me (How sad).

Regardless, if they really cared about black lives, they would stop starting riots in their communities and instead would try and assist those in the community most vulnerable, regardless of whatever gangs there are and whatever fear there is.
(edited 7 years ago)
First of all. What does a bunch gangsters shooting each other up have to do with the average black American doing an honest job. Please. Talking about fix out neighbourhood first. Ok man what you have to realize about these neighbourhoods in the first place is that they run by fear. The no snitching rule is only in place due to the hold that the gangsters in the area have on your family and friends if you do snitch. Its for the safety of everybody that you don't snitch to be honest. Call it the same "save yourself before you save others" crap you see on the aeroplane.

When you live in these neighbourhoods all that idealistic stuff of 'help your neighbourhood' is out of the window in place of survival. No one wants to die trying to change the system, cause it leaves a burden on your family. Again its that fear aspect that runs this mentality. You have no right to judge these people for this when you sit behind your expensive computer in your decent house with internet connection, oblivious to the battleground.

My stance on #BLM might be slightly different to other people's appreciation on it but I believe in the movement because you have innocent BLACK men getting fatal dealt with like Philando, Sterling, Eric Garner, Ezell Ford and many more. Most of these people's lives are taken away so easily and so brutally as if THEIR LIVES DIDN'T MATTER. That the whole point. The use of excess force by the police always seems to happen towards black men and does not vary according to the severity. You might find yourself getting bodyslammed by an officer for selling CDs the same way a drug fiend will when caught with some product. There is no fine line.

BLM highlights more than just police violence against black people (lets not forget that it does exist ok) , its highlights that absurd shoot to kill crap, the gun laws in america (i mean you have the right to carry an arm, but you might get killed for it?), racial stereotyping and the low quality of policing in America. Until the police are adequately trained to not have to pull their gun out or use deadly moves at every tough spot and until they can be able to not treat the people they serve according to a book of stereotypes, then BLM will have a reason to stand. The police have a history of unfair treatment to black people that roots all the way back to slavery of course. I think thats the reason for this anti cop culture and to be frank, police don't do a good job of changing the perception anyway.

I in no way accept the Dallas killings. That is not the way forward. If we are in the business of thinking that there can actually be a way forward then we must learn to acknowledge both sides of the story. This is my #BLM version of the story.
Original post by tinomazibs
First of all. What does a bunch gangsters shooting each other up have to do with the average black American doing an honest job. Please. Talking about fix out neighbourhood first. Ok man what you have to realize about these neighbourhoods in the first place is that they run by fear. The no snitching rule is only in place due to the hold that the gangsters in the area have on your family and friends if you do snitch. Its for the safety of everybody that you don't snitch to be honest. Call it the same "save yourself before you save others" crap you see on the aeroplane.

When you live in these neighbourhoods all that idealistic stuff of 'help your neighbourhood' is out of the window in place of survival. No one wants to die trying to change the system, cause it leaves a burden on your family. Again its that fear aspect that runs this mentality. You have no right to judge these people for this when you sit behind your expensive computer in your decent house with internet connection, oblivious to the battleground.

My stance on #BLM might be slightly different to other people's appreciation on it but I believe in the movement because you have innocent BLACK men getting fatal dealt with like Philando, Sterling, Eric Garner, Ezell Ford and many more. Most of these people's lives are taken away so easily and so brutally as if THEIR LIVES DIDN'T MATTER. That the whole point. The use of excess force by the police always seems to happen towards black men and does not vary according to the severity. You might find yourself getting bodyslammed by an officer for selling CDs the same way a drug fiend will when caught with some product. There is no fine line.

BLM highlights more than just police violence against black people (lets not forget that it does exist ok) , its highlights that absurd shoot to kill crap, the gun laws in america (i mean you have the right to carry an arm, but you might get killed for it?), racial stereotyping and the low quality of policing in America. Until the police are adequately trained to not have to pull their gun out or use deadly moves at every tough spot and until they can be able to not treat the people they serve according to a book of stereotypes, then BLM will have a reason to stand. The police have a history of unfair treatment to black people that roots all the way back to slavery of course. I think thats the reason for this anti cop culture and to be frank, police don't do a good job of changing the perception anyway.

I in no way accept the Dallas killings. That is not the way forward. If we are in the business of thinking that there can actually be a way forward then we must learn to acknowledge both sides of the story. This is my #BLM version of the story.

You do realise that blacklivesmatter has actually driven a lot of the police even further from a lot of these ghettos right? #BlackLivesMatter is actually making the gang's jobs easier. Also, don't lecture me on what I can and cannot say and then claim I don't understand what the fear is like, I am fully aware of what It is like to be on your guard at ****ing 4am too.
Much of the power to fix these problems exists within the black community itself. Perhaps instead of blaming 'the system' for everything, young black men in particular should focus on school instead of crime.

Another issue in the black community is single parenthood. They have the highest single parenthood rate of any ethnicity, which results in a greater propensity for poverty and crime. While around a third of black households live in poverty, the poverty rate for black two-parent households is only around 10%.
Original post by TercioOfParma
You do realise that blacklivesmatter has actually driven a lot of the police even further from a lot of these ghettos right? #BlackLivesMatter is actually making the gang's jobs easier. Also, don't lecture me on what I can and cannot say and then claim I don't understand what the fear is like, I am fully aware of what It is like to be on your guard at ****ing 4am too.

If you truly know the fear then you'd understand how severe standing up to a gang is then. Perhaps you wouldn't call genuine problems as insignificant. Perhaps you understand that you are putting everyone you love in danger. Then probably you understand that even being on your guard in a ghetto is already a bad move, you shouldn't find yourself in that situation in the first place. But hey, BLM is driving police further from the ghettos. Well its not like the police were heavily involved in rough neighbourhoods anyway. If the ghettos hoodrats are in a war agains the police then so be it. Catch the 'bad guys' as Donald Trump would say. Just don't come to minor cases of crime or broken law with that same mentality you use on the gangsters and start choking a guy selling cigarettes to death for resisting arrest and shooting someone on the unproven basis that he was going to shoot you.
If you truly know the fear then you'd understand how severe standing up to a gang is then. Perhaps you wouldn't call genuine problems as insignificant. Perhaps you understand that you are putting everyone you love in danger. Then probably you understand that even being on your guard in a ghetto is already a bad move, you shouldn't find yourself in that situation in the first place. But hey, BLM is driving police further from the ghettos. Well its not like the police were heavily involved in rough neighbourhoods anyway. If the ghettos hoodrats are in a war agains the police then so be it. Catch the 'bad guys' as Donald Trump would say. Just don't come to minor cases of crime or broken law with that same mentality you use on the gangsters and start choking a guy selling cigarettes to death for resisting arrest and shooting someone on the unproven basis that he was going to shoot you.

I will make it more specific, I meant the fear that keeps you up at night fearing for your own and your family's safety, I know that feeling quite well. It is ****ing terrifying unlike anything else, but that doesn't change the fact there needs to be change somehow. I don't understand the ins and outs of that society. However, the courage to stand up and fight against it needs to happen somehow, otherwise people will continue to suffer, and I do not underestimate that is far far easier said than done.

No they weren't, but it is now even worse. Then need to crush these street gangs, the US government, quite honestly, if they expect things to change. It will probably result in another 1968 that happening, but if you put the fear of god into those gang members then their oppression of other people will be less overt and far more often dealt with by the authorities.

I also never denied there are psychotic cops either, but whether it is racism or just plain oppotunism isn't clear to me. Both need to change.

Well I guess there is nothing we can do then right? Gangs will run poor black neighborhoods and we just have to accept it and move on. We need concentrate on police brutality against blacks, and ignore the connection the two.

It has nothing to do with the average citizen. It has everything to do with defining the average. The rates of black on black murder compared to any other race are massively higher, this defines both police reaction to and perception of. The no snitching rule only stands because people let it and in itself shows the problem, criminality is so rife in poorer areas those who 'control' them establish a rule never to reveal the truth and breed a dislike of police based on the commonness of criminal enterprise, I was born in such a type of place. A collective effort to drive out crime, every and all snitching would work but human nature defeats it as people worry about themselves and their own thus refusing to endanger. Intimidation only works if you let it. As for your comment about no right to judge when you dont come from that background what a load of rubbish. If that were the case people would be unable to comment on anything outside their personal lived experience. I often think these sorts of situations are misrepresented by a lack of understanding of the functionality but that doesnt make all comments from outside sources inherently worthless.

BLM is pretty much a hate movement, the chants such as 'what do we want? Dead cops' and the first major set of protests with people shouting things such as 'Kill all these cops, kill their kids too' and throwing bricks at law enforcement officers is not (a) helpful in fostering a different view of black people and (b) will not cause calm dialogue being racist hate. Its culminated in the shooting of 'specifically white officers' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hos7HouJ4DQ

As for the unfair violence its only racial in so far as the average black person is more likely to be a criminal due to social and economic circumstance. That is simply a fact. Police deal disproportionately with criminals and are in a lot of danger a lot of the time. With Americas gun culture, it takes half a second to be shot dead because you let your guard down. When this reality is put on people with a few weeks training - normal civilians not conditioned towards it, it breeds a trigger happy culture. Even soldiers take a long time to condition and to become used to making high stress calls based on their RoE - the training to do so is difficult and shines a light on what people in these positions face, take it from someone who has been through it. American police have an issue per se with violence and overuse thereof which is entirely inexcusable. The idea they are intentionally and consciously shooting black people because of their skin colour is rubbish.

edit - fun fact, the reason people refer to police kills as 'brutal' often is because they keep firing until the suspect is grounded. This often ends up being ten shots or so. The reason is you have no idea how a person will react to being shot. Some go down first time, others will be so pumped on adrenaline or well enough trained they wont even notice and will return fire as if you didnt already shoot them. It is impossible to predict. Firing one shot and stopping is simply a no go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
It has nothing to do with the average citizen. It has everything to do with defining the average. The rates of black on black murder compared to any other race are massively higher, this defines both police reaction to and perception of. The no snitching rule only stands because people let it and in itself shows the problem, criminality is so rife in poorer areas those who 'control' them establish a rule never to reveal the truth and breed a dislike of police based on the commonness of criminal enterprise, I was born in such a type of place. A collective effort to drive out crime, every and all snitching would work but human nature defeats it as people worry about themselves and their own thus refusing to endanger. Intimidation only works if you let it. As for your comment about no right to judge when you dont come from that background what a load of rubbish. If that were the case people would be unable to comment on anything outside their personal lived experience. I often think these sorts of situations are misrepresented by a lack of understanding of the functionality but that doesnt make all comments from outside sources inherently worthless.

BLM is pretty much a hate movement, the chants such as 'what do we want? Dead cops' and the first major set of protests with people shouting things such as 'Kill all these cops, kill their kids too' and throwing bricks at law enforcement officers is not (a) helpful in fostering a different view of black people and (b) will not cause calm dialogue being racist hate. Its culminated in the shooting of 'specifically white officers' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hos7HouJ4DQ

As for the unfair violence its only racial in so far as the average black person is more likely to be a criminal due to social and economic circumstance. That is simply a fact. Police deal disproportionately with criminals and are in a lot of danger a lot of the time. With Americas gun culture, it takes half a second to be shot dead because you let your guard down. When this reality is put on people with a few weeks training - normal civilians not conditioned towards it, it breeds a trigger happy culture. Even soldiers take a long time to condition and to become used to making high stress calls based on their RoE - the training to do so is difficult and shines a light on what people in these positions face, take it from someone who has been through it. American police have an issue per se with violence and overuse thereof which is entirely inexcusable. The idea they are intentionally and consciously shooting black people because of their skin colour is rubbish.

edit - fun fact, the reason people refer to police kills as 'brutal' often is because they keep firing until the suspect is grounded. This often ends up being ten shots or so. The reason is you have no idea how a person will react to being shot. Some go down first time, others will be so pumped on adrenaline or well enough trained they wont even notice and will return fire as if you didnt already shoot them. It is impossible to predict. Firing one shot and stopping is simply a no go.

Listen man, this is exactly the type of thing that makes this world so ****ed up. I don't know where you're from but to a black person with a family to take care of, fighting the snitching rule is the last thing on their mind. If you like, call it a save yourself before you save others mentality which is broadcasted on aeroplanes that you need to take heed. A gangster wont give a moment notice to put you or your family down for standing up, they really don't feel like lives matter. Endangering yourself doesn't bring any needed stability to the community and in fact you could argue that the social effects of such local outrisings could spark more violence and crime. As you said, with the gun laws in America being so pathetic, it could end up really bloody and all for nothing. I'm in no way defending the submissive nature of these communities, but in drawing light to it we can let go of personal emotions when discussing these issues.

Your video link passage or whatever the hell it is, you make such big comments and then do not back them up with a case study or article or any trusted source but a youtube video of some random guy. I don't know how you expect that to make your arguement stronger. Besides that and falling into some hasty generalizations. Id give this paragraph a 2/10.

You last paragraph is exactly the point man. BLM shines light on so many other things than just racial profiling. It highlights how difficult it is to live in America under the current economics, that gun culture they have that just spreads fear amongst police, perhaps inadequate police training and the subsequent trigger happy policing. Admittedly, it does this subconsciously but it does and once we are made more aware we can work for a better situation.

But your last point missed my heart. Shooting someone 10 times is a death sentence. Are you telling me there is absolutely no other alternative to subdue a suspect besides killing him? This is the point man. Police live and die by the book 'shoot as many as you want,' to them a mans life is no big deal, as long as they can go home and hug their children. You don't think Philando's wife and child are suffering because of this method of submission? To think also that a man selling CDs should get riddled with bullets as if he were a terrorist - and thats OK?? Even when firearms aren't involved cases like Eric Garner, Tanisha Anderson and Freddy Gray show that in some instances cops don't take your life into consideration, especially if you from a tough neighbourhood. Another prison cell left empty i guess huh?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I think most Black Americans are already aware of this. I do think they need to focus on black on black crime issues more though.

Blacklivesmatter activists believe police use unneccesary force and sometimes end up killing many black people just because they are black. Black people do not kill other black people just because they are black. So i don't see how "black on black" crime is even relevant in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frappé
Blacklivesmatter activists believe police use unneccesary force and sometimes end up killing many black people just because they are black. Black people do not kill other black people just because they are black. So i don't see how "black on black" crime is even relevant in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well US police are generally trigger happy so I don't always think it's because they're black but a lot of cases it is due to the police being racist. It would be good to focus on deeper black issues such as gangs etc. since the movement says black lives matter not just black lives lost to the police so why wouldn't black on black crime count? Unlawful killings by police is only a fraction of black lives being killed.
Listen man, this is exactly the type of thing that makes this world so ****ed up. I don't know where you're from but to a black person with a family to take care of, fighting the snitching rule is the last thing on their mind. If you like, call it a save yourself before you save others mentality which is broadcasted on aeroplanes that you need to take heed. A gangster wont give a moment notice to put you or your family down for standing up, they really don't feel like lives matter. Endangering yourself doesn't bring any needed stability to the community and in fact you could argue that the social effects of such local outrisings could spark more violence and crime. As you said, with the gun laws in America being so pathetic, it could end up really bloody and all for nothing. I'm in no way defending the submissive nature of these communities, but in drawing light to it we can let go of personal emotions when discussing these issues.

Your video link passage or whatever the hell it is, you make such big comments and then do not back them up with a case study or article or any trusted source but a youtube video of some random guy. I don't know how you expect that to make your arguement stronger. Besides that and falling into some hasty generalizations. Id give this paragraph a 2/10.

You last paragraph is exactly the point man. BLM shines light on so many other things than just racial profiling. It highlights how difficult it is to live in America under the current economics, that gun culture they have that just spreads fear amongst police, perhaps inadequate police training and the subsequent trigger happy policing. Admittedly, it does this subconsciously but it does and once we are made more aware we can work for a better situation.

But your last point missed my heart. Shooting someone 10 times is a death sentence. Are you telling me there is absolutely no other alternative to subdue a suspect besides killing him? This is the point man. Police live and die by the book 'shoot as many as you want,' to them a mans life is no big deal, as long as they can go home and hug their children. You don't think Philando's wife and child are suffering because of this method of submission? To think also that a man selling CDs should get riddled with bullets as if he were a terrorist - and thats OK?? Even when firearms aren't involved cases like Eric Garner, Tanisha Anderson and Freddy Gray show that in some instances cops don't take your life into consideration, especially if you from a tough neighbourhood. Another prison cell left empty i guess huh?

You have no idea what colour I am or where I grew up so that random 'you dont understand man' is inappropriate. What I am saying is factually if the community as a whole stood up to the minority who dominate through fear they would cease to do so.

Generalisations are not inherently false. If a pattern is identifiable then dismissing it as a generalisation is lazy. The video shows crime statistics taken from American government and a first hand video of BLM chanting for the death of police - two of the strongest sources in existence. I picked a video that condensed multiple relevant sources for the purpose of time saving, both yours and mine.

It does this subconsciously. What the heck sort of statement even is that? What does that mean, how do you bring attention to something without realising it in your own mind? Nobody is saying there isnt inequality, in fact its the founding pillar of capitalism but to keep claiming racial inequality and the persons race as the primary contributing factor to the inequality is false. It is such a complex issue to just go 'its cuz im black/white/other race' in place of actual analysis is borderline ridiculous. Unless you have proof it is specifically race based ie actual intent based on race rather than a correlation much easier explained by socio-economic anthropological arguments then this isnt a point worth entertaining.

Have you ever been in a life or death situation? Trained for one? Been explained the realities to? Depends on the suspect as to whether you can restrain or what you can use, their behaviour and reaction etc etc. its an in the moment call and anybody in armed service (ie police and soldiers) have to make these calls all the time and if they put a foot wrong get sacked and sent to jail. I'm not saying that american police aren't trigger happy but I'm saying look at the reality of their situation. Do you remember the British case of Marine A? (name never disclosed I dont think) They cut his friends up and nailed them to trees but because he shot a mortally wounded fighter out of anger he got sent to jail. Another got made an example of when he blasted a civilian I believe by accident in a house full of insurgents, the residing judge saying 'half a second of fire was more than enough for you to realise who you were targeting'. Most people dont understand the realities of these frontline jobs. Its not that life is no big deal, its that they are dealing with criminals (in their mind, police dont get dispatched unless criminality is presumed) and that all humans naturally preserve oneself.

'Riddled as if he was a terrorist' suggests a lack of understanding of the role. He may be selling CD's, he may have a machine pistol under his jacket and if you don't put him down he'll pull it out and kill you. Bear in mind they have no psychic abilities, they are told this person may be a criminal and go to deal with it. It is rightfully so that standard procedure is if they present a threat to life or potential threat to life then they risk the forfeit of their own - the issue is the way cops are trained to wrongly perceive everything as highly dangerous.

As the video you ignored pointed out, many unarmed suspects tussle with police and assault them or try to take their weapons and again this assumes the police know they are unarmed. Take Mark Duggan in the UK, unarmed only because he hadnt yet drawn the albeit replica pistol in his pocket. Shot dead and everyone went what a nice bloke how could they, triggered the London riots. He was a known gangster with a rap sheet and had an imitation firearm. The police do not know, they treat everyone as hostile to prevent being killed themselves. This will always end up with casualties, its an unfortunate reality of any system of law and order. The arm that enacts may enact wrongly.
Reply 14
This argument is so tired. There are plenty of organisations that work to tackle violence in urban neighbourhoods.
How many times must it be explained that there is a difference between a citizen killing another citizen and being convicted, compared to a Government Official paid by tax payers money, who sworn and oathed to uphold the law, BREAKING THE LAW on camera and not seeing any repercussion. Of course more people will come out and protest of the latter.
A really weak argument that is purported by every bigot trying to avoid the issue, and that's exactly what it is, a red herring. A tax-funded system that is disproportionately targeting, killing and incarcerating people of a particular skin colour is different to civilians murdering other civilians, for one. The former is not related to the latter, nor does one invalidate the other. They are both issues. Before I go into the reasoning why tax-funded, predominantly white cops killing disproportionately killing black people is a problem, I just want to point out that white on white crime is also a social phenomenon, according to your argument.

The primary issue #blacklivesmatter has with 'police brutality' is that there is a bias in policing black people compared to white people. It makes matters worse when you realise the obvious; working black communities are essentially funding a system that is targeting them. You may not agree, but the facts support my argument. According to the Department of Justice report (2001), from 1976 to 1998, black people were 5 times more likely to be shot by a police officer than white people. Combined data from Substance Abuse and Mental Health administration and a 2009 Human Rights Watch report found that despite white people using just as much drugs as black people, black people are incarcerated and given harsher sentences for drug possession. There's a really interesting report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics in 2007 which also outlines much of the statistics around the overrepresentation of black people in prison, the harsher sentencing and the higher likelihood of being arrested and shot by the police. It becomes hard to dispute the facts when you look at the surmounting evidence.

But the evidence isn't the problem, as seen in this thread, it's the excuses and *****y explanations used to justify these statistics. Much of the arguments against #blacklivesmatter are similar to the OP, and mostly root themselves in the idea that black communities are inherently more violent than white communities, which somehow warrants them being shot more? In actuality, the evidence from Parker (1989) and Smith (1992) suggests that African Americans don't endorse violence any more than any other community. Furthermore, Hannon (2004) reviewed approximately 900 cases and founded that black perpetrators were no more likely to respond with violence in the face of minor transgressions. The argument that cops should feel more on edge when dealing with black people is completely unfounded in the research, and is, in my opinion due to sub-conscious racial bias. Interestingly, Correll, Park, Judd and Wittenbrink (2002) simulated a violent police-citizen interaction, and asked participants to react by either not (fake) shooting or shooting violent and non-violent, black and white 'citizens'. The participants were much more likely and faster at shooting the black, violent 'citizen' than the white, and took longer to decide on not shooting an unarmed, black 'citizen', than an unarmed white 'citizen'. Point is, blacks are NOT predisposed to being more violent than any other race or ethnicity, but they're being dealt with by police officers as if this is the case. The entire legal system reflects a racial bias where black people are being incarcerated and killed more frequently than their white counterparts, and little is being done about it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending