The Student Room Group

Is Maths Important?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
Sure, sure.

Assume it was the Nat science choice for anything ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468631368.696792.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually did Higher maths though I didn't apply for medicine at uni.

For medicine I would think that you only need statistics to understand drug trials, false-positive rates and that sort of thing and other than that just basic stuff (the kind of maths you see in biology or chemistry). In Higher maths there is very little statistics if any (and I did just check the 2015 Course Specification to double check, which was the most recent I could find) so I think it would be pretty irrelevant.
Original post by drandy76
Yes it's important, my brother told me not taking further maths made some part of the course pretty difficult, not sure on specifics though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol that can't possibly be true. Admittedly I didn't do Further Maths, but I really do not think any aspect of a medicine course is going to need Further Maths knowledge.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol that can't possibly be true. Admittedly I didn't do Further Maths, but I really do not think any aspect of a medicine course is going to need Further Maths knowledge.

Think it was an extra module now that I've looked into, so feel free to disregard the comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by monkyvirus
I actually did Higher maths though I didn't apply for medicine at uni.

For medicine I would think that you only need statistics to understand drug trials, false-positive rates and that sort of thing and other than that just basic stuff (the kind of maths you see in biology or chemistry). In Higher maths there is very little statistics if any (and I did just check the 2015 Course Specification to double check, which was the most recent I could find) so I think it would be pretty irrelevant.

Ahhh ok, thank you! x
Original post by Seharxx
II was wondering if anyone has gotten into Medicine without higher maths?

Hi Seharxx

Taking higher Maths, which is the equivalent of an AS level in England, is not essential to studying medicine.

Chemistry is the only absolutely essential subject, with Biology being highly recommended. For Oxbridge Maths or Physics are helpful due to the theoretical nature of the course but certainly not essential.

The thing to consider is making sure it is a subject that interests you, so if Maths is something that you enjoy, then take the Higher Maths, if it isn't then choose something else. Plenty of people go on to study medicine at degree level without Maths A-levels or equivalent.

You might find this blog post interesting to read as it is about this very subject!

I hope that has been some help... do let me know if can answer any more questions for you.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending