The Student Room Group

Turkey Military Coup Explained In Detail

Turkey has a history of military coups. Coups are acts of seizing power off of the government, essentially overthrowing the political leaders in the interest of the people .

In short, when the people of Turkey are unhappy with the government, the military steps in and [attempts] to overthrow the government.

First of all, to understand the place coups hold in the political infrastructure of Turkey, you have to know 2 things about the military:

1. Unlike the military in the US and many other nations, neither the Turkish prime minister nor the president are "commander in chief."

2. Military service in Turkey is compulsory for all men, who can serve at many different ages, so the military is in large part laypeople.

The military's SOLE duty is to defend the republic and its people. Sometimes, the threat to the republic and its people is its government.

What this means is, the army is in a way run by the people [civilians] of Turkey, in such a way so that if there is a threat to them, the military will take action.

This coup was not authorised as previous coups were [in Turkey], which is by the lead commander of the military. This was against the chain of command in the military, and was an act of treason not against the government, but against the people of Turkey themselves, by a faction of the military.

The [majority] people of Turkey fought alongside the government against this coup, making this coup attempt completely illegal and uncalled for.

If this coup was called for by the people, then you wouldn't see armed civilians standing out against military tanks and helicopters in an attempt to defend their country and president who they believe in.

Ultimately, this coup would have much more likely been successful if it was truly in the interest of the people.

All the Turkish people I know, including those living there, are standing with Erdoğan because what he has done for the country is great, regardless of what mainstream media outlets will like you to believe.

If the people of Turkey are happy with Erdoğan, then let them be happy.

The people of Turkey have stood up for what they believe in and what they want.
Erdogan a **** who must be overthrown
Original post by greatguy882

You know very little about politics I presume.
What great things has he done for Turkey?
Genuinely want to know
Does this mean that the traitors will be sentenced to death? Treason is a serious crime in many countries and warrants no greater punishment than death.
Original post by Wired_1800
Does this mean that the traitors will be sentenced to death? Treason is a serious crime in many countries and warrants no greater punishment than death.

Yes, execution is likely for those leading this coup. Though soldiers who are simply under the order to act may face lesser penalties.
Original post by That Arab Guy
Yes, execution is likely for those leading this coup. Though soldiers who are simply under the order to act may face lesser penalties.

But capital punishment in Turkey was abolished in 2004.
Why were some civilians killed by the military :frown:
Original post by JeremyHunt

The civilians were fighting against the military with weapons. The military retaliated to defend itself, again with weapons.

The military was seizing power, and killed [some] of those who opposed this movement with weapons.

But capital punishment in Turkey was abolished in 2004.

Then I guess execution is not likely, but the most severe form of punishment is almost certain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9

Asians must be overthrown best ethnic cleansing ever
I can't help thinking every time I read about Turkey that I'm looking through a time machine to Europe's future.
Original post by JeremyHunt

Protesters have also attacked and cut the throats of soldiers that have surrendered, a lot of those conscripts in the videos are only 18-19 year old boys...

there's no black or white situation here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending