The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by King Boo
3rd year life scientist checking in here, quote me and add any questions you've got. I do biomedicine which is life science, so can speak for biology, genetics, biochemistry, ecology etc etc etc

Hey ,i'm and international student and have gotten offers from both Sussex and Glasgow .I know these are two totally different places
but i won't be able to make a visit to either campus before that start of the course.I have done extensive research on both unis to gather as much info as i can on both of them.I gathered that i would feel more comfortable at Sussex because it's so diverse and the city of Brighton would remind a lot of home and the people seem really nice .However in Glasgow the only reasons i would consider going is because they have exchange programmes with more reputable unis abroad and it's ranked higher internationally. With that being said , can you tell me your opinions of the neuroscience course at Sussex and give me some feedback about the lecturers .Also how would you say the reputation of Sussex compares to that of Glasgow or just your thoughts on Sussex's reputation with regards to the Life sciences department and how satisfied are you with the course you are doing and the overall uni lifestyle there.Thanks you!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 81
are the grades ever flexible, by even one grade?
Reply 82
Do you find Brighton to be a bit pretentious? I've lived in London and am used to all sorts, but generally people don't care about what other people are up to. I found myself being stared down in Brighton for not wearing Doc Martens :/ I'm just hoping that this only applies in the very centre, and that the uni vibe is much more laid back
Hello KayaRose,I was wondering is there a specific accomodation meant for mature/post-graduate students? If so which one would you recommend and is in newer condition?
What are the prices for a gym membership? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to find the cheapest cell phone plan when I come in August. What are some of the cheapest options (pay as you go)?
Reply 86
Hi! Does anyone know which are the best off-campus university managed houses (like 13 Victoria road vs 8 Windlesham road vs. etc)?

I know in August there is off-campus housing allocation, but what is the process for housing allocation, are we allowed to rank our choices or is it out of our control?
Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alily
Do you find Brighton to be a bit pretentious? I've lived in London and am used to all sorts, but generally people don't care about what other people are up to. I found myself being stared down in Brighton for not wearing Doc Martens :/ I'm just hoping that this only applies in the very centre, and that the uni vibe is much more laid back

I also live in london , however after studying at Sussex I find the atmosphere in Brighton overall is laid back. There are a few exceptions in people who judge / stare down but you get them sort of people everywhere in the world!

Original post by Coolsbreeze
Hello KayaRose,I was wondering is there a specific accomodation meant for mature/post-graduate students? If so which one would you recommend and is in newer condition?

When you apply for accommodation you can select / tick a box "Mature students" where you will be allocated a room in a flat to share with other mature students. I personally would recommend Northfield, it's newly built and relatively spacious compared to other accommodations.

Original post by johnd45
What are the prices for a gym membership? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://onlineshop.sussex.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?compid=1&modid=1&catid=26

Original post by sarahehouston
I would love to find the cheapest cell phone plan when I come in August. What are some of the cheapest options (pay as you go)?

For good signals and decent plans I'd say GiffGaff

Original post by ksfuji
Hi! Does anyone know which are the best off-campus university managed houses (like 13 Victoria road vs 8 Windlesham road vs. etc)?

I know in August there is off-campus housing allocation, but what is the process for housing allocation, are we allowed to rank our choices or is it out of our control?
Thanks!

You're allowed to rank your choices for housing allocation. I can't help you with off-campus managed houses since I lived on-campus - sorry! :frown:
Original post by Sheel1
I also live in london , however after studying at Sussex I find the atmosphere in Brighton overall is laid back. There are a few exceptions in people who judge / stare down but you get them sort of people everywhere in the world!

When you apply for accommodation you can select / tick a box "Mature students" where you will be allocated a room in a flat to share with other mature students. I personally would recommend Northfield, it's newly built and relatively spacious compared to other accommodations.

http://onlineshop.sussex.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?compid=1&modid=1&catid=26

For good signals and decent plans I'd say GiffGaff

You're allowed to rank your choices for housing allocation. I can't help you with off-campus managed houses since I lived on-campus - sorry! :frown:

thanks a lot
Does anyone know if purchasing the ROX wristband is worth it, or should I just pay for all of the events separately? I don't know how to manage this whole freshers thing. I want to go to Boundary Festival and also the seafront thing, but I heard that nobody actually looks at the ROX wristband anyway? Any help on freshers would be ideal, thank you!!
Original post by pannyfrost
Does anyone know if purchasing the ROX wristband is worth it, or should I just pay for all of the events separately? I don't know how to manage this whole freshers thing. I want to go to Boundary Festival and also the seafront thing, but I heard that nobody actually looks at the ROX wristband anyway? Any help on freshers would be ideal, thank you!!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468877436.725280.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's paranoia, no one cares
Reply 92
Hello,
Im an international student and I got an offer in the llb programme!
I would just like to ask how do you get a hold of your books? When do you buy them and around how much are they for?
Reply 93
Oh, also. Whats the cheapest way to london? Like which coach station that goes to London is the nearest to the university campus?
Reply 94
and and and!! If you get a flat in the uni's accommodation, and your friends visit from out of town, can they stay with you for the weekend?
Original post by talaaj
Oh, also. Whats the cheapest way to london? Like which coach station that goes to London is the nearest to the university campus?

I always go from Victoria Coach Station to Brighton Coach station takes about 2 hours, then another like 20 minute bus journey to campus.

Original post by talaaj
and and and!! If you get a flat in the uni's accommodation, and your friends visit from out of town, can they stay with you for the weekend?

Yeah I've stayed in campus during weekends at Sussex, and I've never had any problem, although I'm not 100% sure what the rule is. I don't think it's a problem at all, people do it all the time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by ludd-sama
I always go from Victoria Coach Station to Brighton Coach station takes about 2 hours, then another like 20 minute bus journey to campus.

Yeah I've stayed in campus during weekends at Sussex, and I've never had any problem, although I'm not 100% sure what the rule is. I don't think it's a problem at all, people do it all the time.

thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!!
Original post by talaaj

I use National Express, it's about £7 journey (Return included) and it stops just outside the university :3 (Called brighton universities).

NB: When using National express you have to search to/from Brighton Universerties not Sussex University :tongue:

Original post by talaaj

Original post by kasumikat
Thank you KayaRose for answering my questions, ive just got a few more. I just found out that if i dont get the grade and get rejected from sussex then i cant apply for clearing there and its got me kinda worried... (knowing i need a B grade in both Maths and my course but most probably will only get C grade) so i wanna know what are my chances of getting into Sussex for a Computer science foundation? (i know that this year they have a lot of undergraduates applying to sussex this year and i know that computer science isnt popular for girls like me) and how accepting is sussex with applicants who dont get the grade they need for their course? ( i remember talking to the lecturer a few months ago and he kept on saying that i NEED the B grade, even if its a foundation course)

The lecturer you was talking to you was just encouraging you :P, I also did a foundation computer science course. Needed a distinction*, distinction and a B (biology, chemistry and economics respectively) to enter foundation computer science but I obtained distinction* distinction, U (U in economics, no idea how but i regret not having money to pay for a remark back then :frown: ) ..great news is, I still managed to enter the course xD.

Trust me I wouldn't worry about the C in maths, you'll be able to get in 100%! . They will teach you the AS and A2 maths again in the beginning of the term then slowly into uni level maths.

Feel free to message me if you need any help ect :smile:
You should notify your flatmates before they coming that you have your friends over out of respect. The maximum duration they can stay is 2 days.

Original post by talaaj
Hello,
Im an international student and I got an offer in the llb programme!
I would just like to ask how do you get a hold of your books? When do you buy them and around how much are they for?

I personally would just recommend the library xD. I withdrew a book in the beginning of the year and returned it at the end of the year. Or you could just use Ebay/Amazon.

Original post by kasumikat
Thank you KayaRose for answering my questions, ive just got a few more. I just found out that if i dont get the grade and get rejected from sussex then i cant apply for clearing there and its got me kinda worried... (knowing i need a B grade in both Maths and my course but most probably will only get C grade) so i wanna know what are my chances of getting into Sussex for a Computer science foundation? (i know that this year they have a lot of undergraduates applying to sussex this year and i know that computer science isnt popular for girls like me) and how accepting is sussex with applicants who dont get the grade they need for their course? ( i remember talking to the lecturer a few months ago and he kept on saying that i NEED the B grade, even if its a foundation course)

The lecturer you was talking to you was just encouraging you :P, I also did a foundation computer science course. Needed a distinction*, distinction and a B (biology, chemistry and economics respectively) to enter foundation computer science but I obtained distinction* distinction, U (U in economics, no idea how but i regret not having money to pay for a remark back then :frown: ) ..great news is, I still managed to enter the course xD.

Trust me I wouldn't worry about the C in maths, you'll be able to get in 100%! . They will teach you the AS and A2 maths again in the beginning of the term then slowly into uni level maths.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 98
Hi! I put Swanborough as my accommodation but now im regretting it. im REALLY social and i'd like to enjoy partying at uni a lot but apparently nobody is social in Swanborough and its 'filled with non english speaking internationals'I HOPE TO GOD i dont get placed with the unsocial lot but if I do, can I change accommodation? Cause I'd rather if in Northfield if the situations that bad at Swanborough :/
Original post by Sheel1

thank you for your reply!~ it makes me feel more excited about uni (like i wasnt even sure about packing my stuff because i wasnt sure if the would accept someone with a grade C in maths and the course)

i'll message you ^-^

Quick Reply

Latest