The Student Room Group

People who get below 2:1 in comp sci

May as well quit looking for programming jobs, you are heading for firstline support work tbh, thats just how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by AsapRocky
May as well quit looking for programming jobs, you are heading for firstline support work tbh, thats just how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even with a first class, lots of employers won't employ you straight after the degree because it just doesn't teach you the real world stuff.

That's coming from my dad who is an employer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Andy98
Even with a first class, lots of employers won't employ you straight after the degree because it just doesn't teach you the real world stuff.

That's coming from my dad who is an employer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh but they stand a way better chance thana 2:2 grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yh but they stand a way better chance thana 2:2 grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you so salty dude? You could easily get a better job with an attitude change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Why are you so salty dude? You could easily get a better job with an attitude change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

??? Im stating facts I dont have a ca degree but work with people who do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
??? Im stating facts I dont have a ca degree but work with people who do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh anecdotes are facts now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh anecdotes are facts now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol this forum is proof enough, stop blaming me Im just a news reporter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol this forum is proof enough, stop blaming me Im just a news reporter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uh huh, I can point to 2:1 grads I know working at several top companies doing software engineering. It's still anecdotal.

The point is stop scaremongering people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Uh huh, I can point to 2:1 grads I know working at several top companies doing software engineering. It's still anecdotal.

The point is stop scaremongering people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read it again I think you have misunderstood

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

image.gif
Read it again I think you have misunderstood

Posted from TSR Mobile

My apologies. But even then, grade means relatively little when software is about experience more than anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
My apologies. But even then, grade means relatively little when software is about experience more than anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldnt agree more,but.. Youre less likely to get an interview in the first instance if you got a 2:2 which is the catch 22 tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

All a 1st class honours degree tells an employer is that someone is very good at taking exams.

Computing is about problem solving and much more besides. The best CV for a job in the computing world is a portfolio of work that can be viewed and examined online. Where as many of the well known recruitment programs see thousands of applicants, smaller companies with less budget really struggle to get any CVs to look at. If you are bright and willing, there is no reason why you can't get a job, even if you didn't do too well at the academic side of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending