The Student Room Group

SLC repayment - what is the minimum you can repay

I've had an overpayment of student loans that the SLC have been reclaiming for a few years. I am currently employed and now they want to know my income and expenditure to assess my repayment amount. Does anyone know the minimum you can repay? Is it entirely necessary to provide my income for them to back off? They expect me to repay over 12 months which I can't afford to do. I am working but my income is still relatively low.
Original post by Tron88
I've had an overpayment of student loans that the SLC have been reclaiming for a few years. I am currently employed and now they want to know my income and expenditure to assess my repayment amount. Does anyone know the minimum you can repay? Is it entirely necessary to provide my income for them to back off? They expect me to repay over 12 months which I can't afford to do. I am working but my income is still relatively low.

They accepted my offer of £40 a month, i work full time on minimum wage. They asked me for my outgoings as well as income, so they shouldnt be asking for something you can't afford. When i was working part time they accepted £10 a month.
Reply 2
Original post by Tron88

Each case is judged on its own merits, so we have no way of knowing for sure. If your income has increased, then you should expect your repayments to increase, However, SLC have no interest in bankrupting you - you need to be able to carry on working and living normally otherwise you won't be able to make any repayments at all, which would be counter-productive for them. I would expect any increase to be proportionate to the amount of your income increase.

If they are still in the process of assessing your curent income (sounds like you haven't sent it yet?) then the requirement to repay over 12 months is probably just a starting position for the reassessment and I would expect it to change as they understand your current situation better. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.

You do need to provide your income details to them. I suspect that without it, the 12 month repayment deadline will be automatically imposed. If they have an accurate idea of your circumstances, they will see that you can't meet it and should agree something much more reasonable.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
They accepted my offer of £40 a month, i work full time on minimum wage. They asked me for my outgoings as well as income, so they shouldnt be asking for something you can't afford. When i was working part time they accepted £10 a month.

Do you know whether there is an amount you can offer to pay without having to provide your expenditure? Say for instance if I offered £20 p/month would they then take this offer and not need any further info?
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
Each case is judged on its own merits, so we have no way of knowing for sure. If your income has increased, then you should expect your repayments to increase, However, SLC have no interest in bankrupting you - you need to be able to carry on working and living normally otherwise you won't be able to make any repayments at all, which would be counter-productive for them. I would expect any increase to be proportionate to the amount of your income increase.

Thanks for your reply 🙂
If they are still in the process of assessing your curent income (sounds like you haven't sent it yet?) then the requirement to repay over 12 months is probably just a starting position for the reassessment and I would expect it to change as they understand your current situation better. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.

You do need to provide your income details to them. I suspect that without it, the 12 month repayment deadline will be automatically imposed. If they have an accurate idea of your circumstances, they will see that you can't meet it and should agree something much more reasonable.

I know it's very uncooperative of me to not want to provide my expenditure but I just don't want to is there any other way of dealing with this without having to? I can't afford to repay within12 months 24 yes so I would be in a tough predicament if this became the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle

Thanks for your advice btw 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by Tron88
I know it's very uncooperative of me to not want to provide my expenditure but I just don't want to is there any other way of dealing with this without having to? I can't afford to repay within12 months 24 yes so I would be in a tough predicament if this became the case.

If you are uncooperative with them, how can you expect them to be cooperative with you. Provide the information they have requested otherwise it just makes things worse...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Just dont pay it i have owed over 20000 for over 10 years and i have not paid a penny towards it i just ignore the letters i have joined clearscore and checked my credit rating and it seems all my overdue accounts have been closed and my credit rating is actually rising so take from this what you want but i never worry about it if you can just ignore them they eventually stop sending letters
Original post by Tron88
Do you know whether there is an amount you can offer to pay without having to provide your expenditure? Say for instance if I offered £20 p/month would they then take this offer and not need any further info?

No there isn't they wanted to know my expenditure when I offered £10 so there's no way round it. If you can't afford to give much just tell them why that is.
Reply 9
Original post by Molly6919
Just dont pay it i have owed over 20000 for over 10 years and i have not paid a penny towards it i just ignore the letters i have joined clearscore and checked my credit rating and it seems all my overdue accounts have been closed and my credit rating is actually rising so take from this what you want but i never worry about it if you can just ignore them they eventually stop sending letters

Being one of the old-style student loans, your debt was sold off to a commercial enterprise a couple of years ago. Sounds like they have decided that it's not commercially viable to persue the debt for whatever reason.

This would not be the case for the OP, whose loan is still held by the SLC. They have automated processes through which the OP's debt will automatically be escalated. They are not in the same position as you, so your situations are not comparable. It would be very unsafe to assume that the SLC will just abandon a debt - the more likely outcome if you ignore them, is that you will end up with a County Court Judgement against you. At the very least, this will affect your employability in the future.

Ignoring a debt of any kind is rarely the right thing to do.
Reply 10
Original post by Tron88

The only way you would be forced to repay within 12 months, will be if you refuse to provide the info SLC wants. Your options are:

1) Provide the info they ask for and make affordable repayments over an extended period of time.
2) Don't provide the info and be expected to repay in full within 12 months. Knock-on impact of failure to fulfil this requirement will be escalation of the debt, potential court action etc.

There are no other viable options.

What is so bad about your expenditure that you don't want to provide it? It's just rent, bills, travel to work, food, support provided to others etc.

Unfortunately for whatever reason, you are in debt due to having accepted/kept Student Finance money when you weren't entitled to it. That may not have been your fault, but the outcome is that you are being correctly treated as a debtor. Other loan organisations are a good deal less sympathetic than SLC, so don't make yourself such a nuisance that they hand your case over to a debt collection agency.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending