The Student Room Group

What made you decide your chosen career path?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Changing Skies
I've wanted a career in scientific research for a while, I just wasn't sure which area of biology. I then took a module in veterinary parasitology and fell in love with learning about it :lol: I've also been keen to contribute towards veterinary health too so this is perfect for me.

Sounds interesting! What exactly is veterinary parasitologist? :lol:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Innate vocation from around the age of 4.

Really? Age 4 :curious:
Original post by childofthesun
Long so imma put in spoilers

Spoiler

❤️❤️ you'd make an incredible HRL! I believe in you.
I'm going to have to explain why I want to do Law in the personal statement I'll be writing in a couple months. Of course, I'll say stuff about helping ordinary people with legal problems, about the law being fascinating for the way it is a living organism, about how I want to cut through complex and foggy ethical issues with the sharp blade of the law, about how important I think law is for its political role, and how recent events highlight its purpose of safeguarding the rights of the public. With all of this, I'll reference to things I've read and done.

But it's all exaggerated. Yeah, it's true, I do really believe the things I'll put down, but they weren't the original reason for wanting to do Law. My real reasons were a combination of the money, not knowing what else to do, and the prestige.

If I could do absolutely any career path? Hmm. Probably investment banking. That's what I'm going to try to get into. And why do I want to do that? The money, nothing else.

Then we have my backup plan. Go teach English in Japan. That's just because I'm a total weeb and I want the kawaii schoolgirls. :3
Interesting thread. I am still in college so my career path is still open for changes. However, until the age of 14/15 I wanted to join the police forces. I have always had a great interest in law enforcement profession and the legal profession. Barrister was also an option which I was personally interested in. However, at the age of 16 when I had to do my enrolment for college... Things changed. For some strange and amazing reason I decided to take the subject of Performing Arts, Acting. From then on I loved studying the craft of acting. I would go into college with a massive smile knowing that I am doing something I really enjoy. On top of that I have the opportunity to recive some of the highest grades possible. Thankfully I have the full support of my parents which is a massive help.

So, at this moment. I will continue with my Acting career. I will finish college and then move on to Drama School. However, around the age of eighteen I would look into applying to become a Special Constable (You are a Police Constable but you volunteer at least 16 hours per month) with the metropolitan police. This way I can continue to have my amazing Acting career but still be a Constable which I have wanted to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Really? Age 4 :curious:

Yep.
It's well paid, has a meritocratic culture where your pay depends on how you perform, and I think I have the right skills and personality for it. I am also very interested in the financial markets.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was originally going to do a primary education degree but then I decided I might go in to other areas to work with children so i'll probably do education studies (with psychology maybe). When I did ncs I volunteered at sure start centres so it showed me alternative routes with working with children, I might be a educational psychologist later but we'll see how it goes lol.
❤️❤️ you'd make an incredible HRL! I believe in you.

Thank you habibti :love:
brexit innit
Original post by Foo.mp3
Coaching, counselling, researching, writing, and hosting in the Health and Wellness sector :hippie:

aren't you the dude who claimed black girls would be happy to date white men?!
you seem quite arrogant to be giving advice to people
unless you are aiming for certain demographics
Always interested with travel, so from a young age piloting was the dream. Then as I grew older, I found ATC and logistics to be of interest.

However once I properly solidified education with sixth form, I knew that I wanted to be involved with government. Scouting through my life instilled values of service for others, and I realised the best way to achieve this was through civil service. I had originally wanted law but my uncle (barrister) dissuaded me :tongue:

Combined with the innate interest in travel I picked up from travelling the world with my family from a young age, I settled on the diplomatic field. Tbh I'd be open for Home Office as well, but international relations is another interest of mine :biggrin:

However I never lost sight of that pilot dream: got myself a light aircraft licence! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by childofthesun
Long so imma put in spoilers

Spoiler

Your career path is a dangerous one, of course, but I want to wish you every luck in pursuing it. I think you will make an excellent human rights lawyer. Especially as you have witnessed, from a young age, the magnitude of issues in the field, and therefore have the utmost motivation and utmost passion for giving a voice to the voiceless. I really wish you every luck, thanks for sharing that story with us. It was quite inspiring. :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Money mostly, it makes the world go around.
My passion, determination, and drive to do what I care for and believe in, which is caring for people regardless of their background or situation. :smile:
I've always wanted to go out and help the homeless when I'm slightly more independent, so at the age of 18, and my chosen career also involves this, and I would like to be a air ambulance paramedic. :biggrin:
My parents and friends have often doubted my decision but I want to prove to them, and everyone that anyone can do anything as long as they believe, and dedicate themselves. :wink:
I have the least regard in terms of money, I am not a fussy person when it comes to money-making and salary, if I could I would do this job for free.
(edited 7 years ago)
Curious to read some of your epiphanic moments(or perhaps not) :lol:

I never chose my career, my career chose me!
i do it for the children
As the only thing im half decent at is Maths , i have to do Maths at Uni :colonhash:
:work: I never enjoyed history at school but maybe that's just because I hated school full stop :angry:
Over the last few years I've really gotten into history and now I love it, ESP the Tudors.
I want to teach history.
Reply 39
Grey's Anatomy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending