The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Nearly found a squirtle and then the servers decided to **** on me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started training at a friendly gym to raise the prestige. Finally made a space and a teammate walked past and put on a bell sprout with CP of 45. 😠

Now I can't even play to raise it again.
I've never played Pokemon before ; can someone explain what is it and why I should play it ?
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:five:
just got an eevee too!

Spoiler

Wooo *high five*

Are you planning to evolve?
Original post by _Sinnie_
I've caught 99% of my pokemon while sat in my house, I've only seen 2 pokemon outside. I think the biggest reason for this is the lack of internet/GPS signal. I walked along my main road to visit the pokestops and then the gym, upon reaching the gym I had no signal so couldn't train the pokemon there (I joined the same team as them). So today I took a walk to the next village (virtually no signal all the way there), visited the gym there and went to train there but found I had no idea how combat worked, there were no instructions, the signal was poor, the sun stopped me seeing the screen and I got defeated twice by a pokemon with half the CP.

On top of this its becoming obvious (at only level 6) that there are not enough pokeballs. Those who live/work in or near pokestops will be fine, but going out constantly for a handfull of balls is not practical for me. This is the first sign, for me, that they neither care about gameplay or what fans want from a pokemon game. The fact that you don't level your pokemon up in the same way shows that the whole game is designed around a pure money grab. For those that don't know, every single pokemon you catch right now is kind of pointless, as you as a player level up, the CP of the Pokemon you catch increases, therefore spending stardust on them now is a complete waste as you'll end up catching pokemon with much higher starting CP. So there is no 'training' element, no reason to become attached to particular pokemon - you're literally catching every single one you see to get resources to eventually power up and evolve an ultimate version of that pokemon sometime in the future. Of course, their plan is you spend all the resources now and have to give them real money for more.

So after 2 days, I uninstalled it and walked home - at least the sun is out.

My prediction is that as people level up and no longer get free stuff as regularly and realise they either need to farm pokestops or pay money, they will stop playing.

The whole point of the game is to get off your backside and go out and explore the real world... kind of self-evident... lol

You get free stuff from EVERY pokestop you go to... so like... it is never going to be P2W... sure, easier if you pay but not many people will/do... lol
Original post by fefssdf
I've never played Pokemon before ; can someone explain what is it and why I should play it ?

basically
-Nintendo's biggest money maker after Mario & friends
-has one of the longest animated series
-was around since before some TSR users were even born
-and this mobile game is their most successful game release outside of a Nintendo console
Original post by Jay_Cartwright
Is it weird I keep getting Rattatas in my house?

lol same
:rofl:
I wish I got pikachus in my house :pika:
:moon:
Original post by _Sinnie_
I've caught 99% of my pokemon while sat in my house, I've only seen 2 pokemon outside. I think the biggest reason for this is the lack of internet/GPS signal. I walked along my main road to visit the pokestops and then the gym, upon reaching the gym I had no signal so couldn't train the pokemon there (I joined the same team as them). So today I took a walk to the next village (virtually no signal all the way there), visited the gym there and went to train there but found I had no idea how combat worked, there were no instructions, the signal was poor, the sun stopped me seeing the screen and I got defeated twice by a pokemon with half the CP.

On top of this its becoming obvious (at only level 6) that there are not enough pokeballs. Those who live/work in or near pokestops will be fine, but going out constantly for a handfull of balls is not practical for me. This is the first sign, for me, that they neither care about gameplay or what fans want from a pokemon game. The fact that you don't level your pokemon up in the same way shows that the whole game is designed around a pure money grab. For those that don't know, every single pokemon you catch right now is kind of pointless, as you as a player level up, the CP of the Pokemon you catch increases, therefore spending stardust on them now is a complete waste as you'll end up catching pokemon with much higher starting CP. So there is no 'training' element, no reason to become attached to particular pokemon - you're literally catching every single one you see to get resources to eventually power up and evolve an ultimate version of that pokemon sometime in the future. Of course, their plan is you spend all the resources now and have to give them real money for more.

So after 2 days, I uninstalled it and walked home - at least the sun is out.

My prediction is that as people level up and no longer get free stuff as regularly and realise they either need to farm pokestops or pay money, they will stop playing.

I think what you miss is that most people live in an urban enough area there are plenty of pokestops, and most people do have a good enough connection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Wooo *high five*
Are you planning to evolve?

I need it to evolve!Cos u know Eevee can turn into badass pokemon

Spoiler

R u?
Reply 549
Original post by fefssdf

Well Pokemon are creatures you can catch, to collect them or train them for battle. The original gen was set in a region called Kanto, with 151 Pokemon to catch. Now Pokemon is entering the 7th gen and there are over 700 Pokemon.

The actual videogames are available from Gameboy/3ds. Starting with Red/Blue /Yellow , which is set in Kanto. Pokemon Go only includes the 151 original Pokemon, available to catch in the real world using your phone. I would say the app is based on people's nostalgia of Pokemon.

I've always loved Pokemon since it first came out, but this app is frustrating and _sinnie_ is right that it's about money making with GO. I'm barely seeing Pokemon and I'm almost out of Pokeballs. I think I'm gonna stop and replay Platinum/HeartGold.

Spoiler

R u?

you can only turn it into jolteon, vaporeon or flareon as those are in the original 151 Pokemon*

Spoiler

R u?

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Pokemon+GO/feature.asp?c=70672

At the moment you can only do Fire, electric and water.

I will go with flareon if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brijmohan3
The whole point of the game is to get off your backside and go out and explore the real world... kind of self-evident... lol

You get free stuff from EVERY pokestop you go to... so like... it is never going to be P2W... sure, easier if you pay but not many people will/do... lol

Sure, but if you go exploring in the countryside, then you get no signal and can't play. If I lived in a town/city then I might be more inclined to play, but I'm not driving 20 minutes to somewhere with a more reliable signal just to play. Bearing in mind I caught loads of Pokemon sat in bed with my wifi.

There's 3 in my village, by the time I've walked to the third, the first is reset. I could do this repeatedly, but that would look weird and be a bit boring - especially as I didn't find a single Pokemon while doing so. I think people will come to see that as a grind that will take the fun out of the game, with the focus being on getting stocked up all the time, rather than exploring cool new places to see what Pokemon they have - the fact that there appears to be no geographical link to which Pokemon appears means its all simply a matter of waiting long enough to catch them.

Original post by Jammy Duel
I think what you miss is that most people live in an urban enough area there are plenty of pokestops, and most people do have a good enough connection
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, they'll be grand for a while. But considering you get 3 pokeballs max per stop, when you have to catch 100+ Pokemon to level up, that's when I think people will get bored. My area isn't even that rural.

I think stardust will be the long term issue any way, that's where they have their money bags. The fact that they opted for a controlled currency system for leveling pokemon over either/or: fighting wild Pokemon, fighting other players Pokemon, distance traveled (as with eggs) or any other player controlled mechanism, shows that gameplay was not high on their agenda - they are trading purely on the gimmick of AR and the nostalgia of Pokemon.

I'm not slating the game, or people who play it - I was just as excited as everyone else. I've just found that without an abundance of pokestops and lack of consistent 4G signal, it creates as much frustration as it does fun.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 553
I wonder when johto will be added. Given that there is a badge called kanto I can't help but feel that there are going to add all the rest of the Pokemon eventually.
I commute to London frequently and there are tons of poke stops! I got into a taxi and literally went around Hyde park, Bond street etc and got over 100 poke balls in an hour! ;D
I used to be a Pokemon lover like you guys, then I took a Dark Souls to the knee...
Original post by Luhar
Well Pokemon are creatures you can catch, to collect them or train them for battle. The original gen was set in a region called Kanto, with 151 Pokemon to catch. Now Pokemon is entering the 7th gen and there are over 700 Pokemon.

The actual videogames are available from Gameboy/3ds. Starting with Red/Blue /Yellow , which is set in Kanto. Pokemon Go only includes the 151 original Pokemon, available to catch in the real world using your phone. I would say the app is based on people's nostalgia of Pokemon.

I've always loved Pokemon since it first came out, but this app is frustrating and _sinnie_ is right that it's about money making with GO. I'm barely seeing Pokemon and I'm almost out of Pokeballs. I think I'm gonna stop and replay Platinum/HeartGold.

oh ok I guess if i get even more bored during the summer then playing this game would be a good idea haha
Reply 557
internet works at the local tescos wooo!! i now have an unlimited supply of rattatas and pidgeys.
My app keeps saying 'Unable to authenticate'

I CAN'T PLAY!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Pokemon+GO/feature.asp?c=70672

At the moment you can only do Fire, electric and water.

I will go with flareon if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

same :five:
shame about there only being fire, electric and water tho...

Quick Reply

Latest