The Student Room Group

NCS & Anxiety

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I don't blame them to be honest, you sound very annoying and I wouldn't want you around either.

It's not your fault at all. Anxiety can make things very hard, and at the very least the staff should have made some changes to make things easier for you. I think you should get your mum to speak to them and try to make arrangements that would help you. If that happens, stick with it and see what happens - it seems like a good opportunity and worth giving another chance.

If they won't do anything to help, maybe it's best to drop out. You'll get other opportunities, so your mental health should come first. In future you'll probably get to do similar things, but hopefully you'll be in a better state of mind and more prepared for it. You'll also meet better people! It sounds like you're with a really *****y group of people. I don't know how old you are, but I think as you get older, people start to get much more tolerant and understanding.

Are you getting any help from your doctor or a therapist? Medication or therapy can be a huge help! I find that anxiety can also get better as you start to interact with people more, but you have to be careful not to do too much too quickly.

Hope this helps, I'm here if you want to talk about it or you can PM me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

Spoiler

I also hated doing NCS :tongue:

Also, the member of staff aren't very helpful with anyone with mental health issues, and would definitely advice to drop out (after talking to one of your group/wave leader.
NCS means? Sorry, bit lost here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
that's horrible...i never did ncs so no advice, sorry...
except that if you're 16 you can do it again next year when you're in a better frame of mind and not placed with that group of people. they don't sound very sympathetic...
Reply 5
I don't blame them to be honest, you sound very annoying and I wouldn't want you around either. Besides I thought you needed to be a certain age to do NCS.

I'm 16. What age did you even assume I was? Or was assumption based on the fact that I wrote all that in a long paragraph because the text boxes are weird for me?

Maybe I am annoying. But I'm not exactly the type of person who can be friends with anyone. I joined the program with my best friend hoping this would help, but I was ignored by her and the other girls in the group and told I'm too awkward to go back. You shouldn't be attempting to insult people whilst anon, that's just downright rude☺

@kkboyk I noticed that too. I didn't want to admit straight up I have anxiety, and I was sure I told them that on one of my medical forms. So in the end I just kept on making bs excuses up like I was homesick etc to try and get out of it. I had every reason thrown at me in the book as to why I should stay. Its tragic really, if I suffered from a physical illness I would be getting all the support possible.

@JordanL_ I asked for a room change on week 1 and it wasn't given to me unless I moved into a dorm with other people in it, whom would be complete strangers and I wasn't ready for that battle.

I don't currently take any medication as it wasn't an offer by the GP when I last spoke to them. It took about three phonecalls to even get them to diagnose me because they all seemed to refuse to. And when I was, I was either given self help or therapy and I didn't want the wait for therapy.

@dexterminate it's a program made back in 2011 for 16 and 17 year olds to volunteer to help in the local community, but it also involves a week to do outdoor activities to get to know your team and a week of community training, where you're meant to enhance a skill and learn university skills. To be honest I signed up just for the volunteering. I don't care about enhancing skills, I did all that for my DofE.
The first week is always the most intense as you're very close with the same people all the time. In the second part you'll have a room to yourself and then get to stay at home in the third.

It's awful that the staff didn't act in a better way. I'd suggest being as honest as possible with them. They're not experts so don't have MH experience. There are however MH experts who work for NCS that the staff can call for support. If they just believe that you are homesick then they are likely just to treat you as someone with home sickness.
Reply 7

I don't currently take any medication as it wasn't an offer by the GP when I last spoke to them. It took about three phonecalls to even get them to diagnose me because they all seemed to refuse to. And when I was, I was either given self help or therapy and I didn't want the wait for therapy.

Hiya, sorry to cut in on this (my advice though is to drop out as it seems like you are having a horrible time and it would probably make your anxiety worse) but I would just like to point something out:

There are waiting lists all over the country for therapy, and it bloody sucks. No one wants to wait for it, but unfortunately - thanks to our current government - we have to. I would really suggest going back to your GP and exploring the option of medication, and ask to be placed on the waiting list. Unless you go private, which is expensive, unfortunately a waiting list is what you are faced with. Faster you get on the waiting list, the faster you will be seen (even though it's actually slow, it's sorta weird).

Good luck :hugs:
Reply 8
Original post by dexterminate
NCS means? Sorry, bit lost here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

National Citizen Service (www.ncsyes.co.uk)
If you're 16 you can try it again next summer or maybe during the shorter programmes in the autumn and spring where the only residential bit is the outdoor activity centre and you stay there one night less.
Reply 9

@kkboyk I noticed that too. I didn't want to admit straight up I have anxiety, and I was sure I told them that on one of my medical forms. So in the end I just kept on making bs excuses up like I was homesick etc to try and get out of it. I had every reason thrown at me in the book as to why I should stay. Its tragic really, if I suffered from a physical illness I would be getting all the support possible.

You're better off doing a different volunteering scheme than NCS. It's not really as useful to everyone as it is marketed to be.
Original post by Earlylifecrisis
The first week is always the most intense as you're very close with the same people all the time. In the second part you'll have a room to yourself and then get to stay at home in the third.

It's awful that the staff didn't act in a better way. I'd suggest being as honest as possible with them. They're not experts so don't have MH experience. There are however MH experts who work for NCS that the staff can call for support. If they just believe that you are homesick then they are likely just to treat you as someone with home sickness.

I've begun to explore the possibility of not doing week 2 and just skipping over to week 3 & 4. I signed up purely for the volunteering side. I couldn't be arsed if I was thrown into a couple of activities and skill building sessions. I don't need to go away to a university to enhance skills that if I really wanted to do, I could find a club or something else to join. I'll learn how to cook and budget when I'm at uni for real. Week 2 seems fairly useless. It seems more like a week designed for young people who don't have access to things they want to do, whether that's because of money or something else. Hopefully the staff will understand. I'm just one of those who wants to get right into it all, I don't want to mess around with activities in week 1 and 2 seemingly placed there to ease people into the idea of volunteering.

Original post by Airmed
Hiya, sorry to cut in on this (my advice though is to drop out as it seems like you are having a horrible time and it would probably make your anxiety worse) but I would just like to point something out:

There are waiting lists all over the country for therapy, and it bloody sucks. No one wants to wait for it, but unfortunately - thanks to our current government - we have to. I would really suggest going back to your GP and exploring the option of medication, and ask to be placed on the waiting list. Unless you go private, which is expensive, unfortunately a waiting list is what you are faced with. Faster you get on the waiting list, the faster you will be seen (even though it's actually slow, it's sorta weird).

Good luck :hugs:

Since medication seems to be a recurring idea, I'll look into it. Im not sure what would be the best solution, as I've read stories from others that say it took them years to find a combination to work for them. But I might as well give it a go.

I've had anxiety for the last six months, and before that it was very mild to the point where it felt normal. It never bothered me during my exams, but that's probably because I enjoyed my education. As soon as this program started I lost control for the first time.

Original post by Hugs31
National Citizen Service (www.ncsyes.co.uk)
If you're 16 you can try it again next summer or maybe during the shorter programmes in the autumn and spring where the only residential bit is the outdoor activity centre and you stay there one night less.

I'm tempted to do that actually. I've already technically completed 2 nights and 3 days of the outdoor residential, so I just need to get abit of community training in and then I'm fine.

Original post by kkboyk
You're better off doing a different volunteering scheme than NCS. It's not really as useful to everyone as it is marketed to be.

Its advertised everywhere - spotify, news, radio which is why I got involved because I thought why not, it must be hugely successful. Even after just the taster days, I felt like the whole program is trying to market people who don't want to take on the full responsibilitys of a working life, giving it a fun let's be chilled atmosphere. It felt so immature. Yes it was fun. But if I wanted to do any of this I would do it myself on a weekend for a day out. The program of week 1 seemed to drag. We had to make bottle rockets, play problem solving games and review each day for an hour each day. I ended up annoyed with the childish personalitys of people I was around. I found it hard to hold adult conversations. I've already got my Bronze DofE award and Im going to start volunteering with a horse riding group for disabled people, working with horses, holding fundraisers etc. Any other programs you recommend?
I've begun to explore the possibility of not doing week 2 and just skipping over to week 3 & 4.

Just a warning, they won't let you not do stage 2 and then do the final stage.
Reply 12

Since medication seems to be a recurring idea, I'll look into it. Im not sure what would be the best solution, as I've read stories from others that say it took them years to find a combination to work for them. But I might as well give it a go.

I've had anxiety for the last six months, and before that it was very mild to the point where it felt normal. It never bothered me during my exams, but that's probably because I enjoyed my education. As soon as this program started I lost control for the first time.

OP, I am proof that the first med you try is not always the right one; I have tried 5 in the last year to no avail. It is trial and error, unfortunately.
Reply 13

Its advertised everywhere - spotify, news, radio which is why I got involved because I thought why not, it must be hugely successful. Even after just the taster days, I felt like the whole program is trying to market people who don't want to take on the full responsibilitys of a working life, giving it a fun let's be chilled atmosphere. It felt so immature. Yes it was fun. But if I wanted to do any of this I would do it myself on a weekend for a day out. The program of week 1 seemed to drag. We had to make bottle rockets, play problem solving games and review each day for an hour each day. I ended up annoyed with the childish personalitys of people I was around. I found it hard to hold adult conversations. I've already got my Bronze DofE award and Im going to start volunteering with a horse riding group for disabled people, working with horses, holding fundraisers etc. Any other programs you recommend?

Just do normal volunteering: I volunteered in a food bank committee, did lots of presentation at schools; organised fundraising ideas; actively went out near shopping streets and handed out flyers; helped distribute items and lots of other stuff. The thing is, I wasn't even required to do all these, except to be a helping hand in stacking food but I ended up giving them more ideas and went beyond (even though I was shy and didn't really have any confidence at all, but I kept pushing myself).

If you are planning to go to a university then there are also university summer schools held at the end of yr12 and some at 13 (e.g. Nottingham Potential, which is really great!), in which is sort of like NCS, except you learn more about your chosen course at uni. You will also be assigned a mentor who are students at that particular uni (as well as a senior mentor in which you can talk to about anything that is worrying you), who you can always talk to throughout sixth form and even first year uni. They do offer a lot of support for people that suffer from anxiety :tongue:

If the above isn't your cup of tea, then I'd recommend doing a regular work experience at a work place (but make sure you do enough research, and apply to places that you think you will learn a few things from).
Original post by kkboyk
Just do normal volunteering: I volunteered in a food bank committee, did lots of presentation at schools; organised fundraising ideas; actively went out near shopping streets and handed out flyers; helped distribute items and lots of other stuff. The thing is, I wasn't even required to do all these, except to be a helping hand in stacking food but I ended up giving them more ideas and went beyond (even though I was shy and didn't really have any confidence at all, but I kept pushing myself).

If you are planning to go to a university then there are also university summer schools held at the end of yr12 and some at 13 (e.g. Nottingham Potential, which is really great!), in which is sort of like NCS, except you learn more about your chosen course at uni. You will also be assigned a mentor who are students at that particular uni (as well as a senior mentor in which you can talk to about anything that is worrying you), who you can always talk to throughout sixth form and even first year uni. They do offer a lot of support for people that suffer from anxiety :tongue:

If the above isn't your cup of tea, then I'd recommend doing a regular work experience at a work place (but make sure you do enough research, and apply to places that you think you will learn a few things from).

Thanks for the ideas. Youve reassured me greatly about the future. I felt terrible that because I haven't done NCS fully, I won't be able to go onto university easily without feeling trapped in a facility and made to do things I just didn't want to.

Thanks to everyone else too for commenting your thoughts (except for the other anon guy, whom I've reported for rule breaking) it was all really helpful hearing your experiences and advice.
Reply 15
Original post by Earlylifecrisis
Just a warning, they won't let you not do stage 2 and then do the final stage.

That's true, they don't let you graduate (from NCS) without doing all four weeks consecutively, which isn't unreasonable as otherwise there would be loads of dropouts.
Original post by Hugs31
That's true, they don't let you graduate (from NCS) without doing all four weeks consecutively, which isn't unreasonable as otherwise there would be loads of dropouts.

I don't even care if I graduate or not. Im apparently allowed to help with the social action planning, I just don't have any say on what we do and I won't get to graduate. I don't even care about a certificate. I just want to volunteer and feel like I've made a change to someone's life.
OP you are partly to blame for this, sorry. Ordering your roommates to stop speaking at 11pm is never a good idea.
Original post by richpanda
OP you are partly to blame for this, sorry. Ordering your roommates to stop speaking at 11pm is never a good idea.

Not sure how clear I was on the original post, but that wasn't the main reason why I hate this. It was being around people in general for such a large period of time.
Eeh thats a crappy situation :frown: So are you wondering if you should carry on with week 2 or not? You managed to do the first week right and the second week is supposed to be much better :biggrin: So if I was you I'd just try to carry on and if you feel the same way about the second week you can always come home I guess. :redface: Your friend calling you selfish for wanting to go to sleep early was really selfish and uncalled for tbh :/ I totally know what you mean too I dont have anxiety but on the school trip I went on abroad a few months ago I wanted to sleep early and if people still wanted to talk they respected that and went to another room. xD Btw, I decided not to do NCS because I knew I would hate it having to go with complete strangers since I'm shy and dont really like being away from home. But its not like Im doing nothing all summer, I managed to get a place volunteering in a blind peoples community center which is in my opinion so much more insightful and meaningful then doing a few activities in trees :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest