The Student Room Group

Schizophrenic brother????

My brother just came to my mum's house (where I usually stay) and he's going on about devils and souls and people following him and my dad being a pedophile and he's had an episode like this before ages ago. He's not diagnosed and I've just about convinced him that I can take him somewhere to get medical help but I don't know where. He has a knife in his hand that he wont put down unless I play a certain type of music and I just really don't know what to do??? I don't want to take him to the hospital unless he gets arrested for having the knife but he NEEDS help right now. And obviously its too much of an emergency to take him to the GP as they wont have an appointment for RIGHT NOW. I'm thinking of contacting my therapist cause he's a mental health profession and would know what to do. Also my brother is 16. and he keeps saying stuff like he wants to die etc and being suicidal.
Reply 1
get him voluntarily into a hospital asap. he is just 16 nothing bad will happen from the police side.
Original post by mrahim
get him voluntarily into a hospital asap. he is just 16 nothing bad will happen from the police side.

I wish that was true. I phoned the hospital and they called the police and the ambulance. Police came first, he refused to put the knife down until they threatened him and then they arrested him cause he refused to go to the hospital/ambulance. They arrested him. They arrested him. They arrested him. I f*cked up so badly.
Reply 3
Original post by bluemadhatter
I wish that was true. I phoned the hospital and they called the police and the ambulance. Police came first, he refused to put the knife down until they threatened him and then they arrested him cause he refused to go to the hospital/ambulance. They arrested him. They arrested him. They arrested him. I f*cked up so badly.

I am so sorry. was it at my advise?
Original post by mrahim
I am so sorry. was it at my advise?

no no this was from my own stupid head
Reply 5

Yes, they arrested him as they should have, but they haven't yet charged him, that's the important part. Just concentrate on getting your brother the help he needs, you did the right thing calling the hospital.
Original post by Kaneki
Yes, they arrested him as they should have, but they haven't yet charged him, that's the important part. Just concentrate on getting your brother the help he needs, you did the right thing calling the hospital.

they were talking about charging him like they gave him a room and they made me give a statement etc etc and they took a picture of the knife for "evidence"
Reply 7
they were talking about charging him like they gave him a room and they made me give a statement etc etc and they took a picture of the knife for "evidence"

That's probably all just normal procedure, at the end of the day, if he has mental health issues he will be treated differently from a sane criminal anyway.
You didn't **** up , better he is somewhere secure than with a knife.
Hey my brother is a schizophrenic and has been arrested numerous times, one time because he attacked me with a knife which is a similar situation you are experiencing.

The first time my brother was arrested it was a really stressful time because we didn't know what was going to happen but since then he has been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and now in a way we are glad whenever he is arrested. This is because the mental health care in this country is so f****d up and under funded that they refuse to treat him or admit him to hospital until he does something really dangerous or stupid.

Every time my brother has been arrested he has been sectioned under the mental health act and this is likely what will happen to yours too. What you must do now it to put pressure on the police to make sure he is seen by a mental health professional as soon as possible so he can be sectioned asap by the mental health professional or agree to get treatment voluntarily.

If he is sectioned he could be in hospital for up to 6 months if he goes in voluntarily it will likely be for less time from a day or two to up to a few weeks. Either way if your brother is really ill it is what is best for him in the long run even if it is upsetting and stressful now.

Honestly though what I can't stress enough is that you absolutely have to put pressure on the police to get him to see a professional or social worker as soon as you can.

Feel free to pm if you would like anymore advice.

Good luck to you and your family.
Reply 10
My brother just came to my mum's house (where I usually stay) and he's going on about devils and souls and people following him and my dad being a pedophile and he's had an episode like this before ages ago. He's not diagnosed and I've just about convinced him that I can take him somewhere to get medical help but I don't know where. He has a knife in his hand that he wont put down unless I play a certain type of music and I just really don't know what to do??? I don't want to take him to the hospital unless he gets arrested for having the knife but he NEEDS help right now. And obviously its too much of an emergency to take him to the GP as they wont have an appointment for RIGHT NOW. I'm thinking of contacting my therapist cause he's a mental health profession and would know what to do. Also my brother is 16. and he keeps saying stuff like he wants to die etc and being suicidal.

Don't worry. Even if he does get sectioned, it's not too bad for under 18s <3
You did the right thing, it just did not have the consequence you expected.

You are in a very difficult situation: I don't think schizophrenia is ever a condition that just "goes away": it is something that medication will have to be taken for, and will probably always be there.

Your brother is not responsible for his actions in such a state, but you cannot simply allow such a condition to go untreated. He could be a great risk to himself and to others.

(I suggest you try to get some sleep if you can, or at least try to rest)

You did the right thing. Sometimes with these situations they may arrest someone but they are not changed due to their health. It is more likely that he will be assessed under the Mental Health Act and detained under this. Most likely for up to one month initially. This can be renewed later if needed, and there is the right to appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone is saying I did the right thing yet my parents are so furious with me

It's difficult - emotions will be running high. However think of it this way - if he had seriously hurt himself, that would have been much worse. If he had hurt someone else - well he would be looking at serious charges. At the moment we don't even know if he has been charged. He is very likely going to get the help he needs. What you did was hard - but it was definitely right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you get in contact with the police again now that he's been arrested and make it clear that he has been suffering with what you think is schizophrenia... That is if this won't become obvious to them quickly anyway which I'm sure it probably will.

Please explain to your parents you had no choice.

This was really difficult for you but you did the right thing :hugs: he could have hurt you or himself ...
(edited 7 years ago)

I've had to do the same thing before. The only difference is you did it this time, and I waited a few years. I waited until he'd tried to kill me 8 times before I spoke up and told someone. Him being arrested is a little weird, although I guess things like differ between different police forces. You 100% did absolutely the right thing. The safety of you and your brother is the top priority. He clearly needs help, and I really hope he gets it. My parents were incredibly angry with me when I let slip about what was going on, but they realise now that it was the best thing to do. They realised that I couldn't live like that anymore, and now he's getting help. If you need to talk about anything, I'm here if you need anything. I never actually thought I'd find anyone in such a similar situation as myself. It's weird. I really hope things are a little better and calmer now. Definitely push the police and your parents to get in touch with social services, or even do it yourself anonymously if you must. You all need their support. They don't exist just to take kids away. He may be assessed and sent to a mental health unit, he may be sent there straight out and sectioned, or he may be referred to CAMHS for now.
(edited 7 years ago)

How are things going now? Did they recognise that he was suffering from a mental health condition therefore get him psychiatric help?

Quick Reply

Latest