The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Hi!

I know there is a thread entitled 'Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry', but I thought it might be useful to start a 2017 entry thread for those of us wanting to apply this coming autumn/academic year.

This might seem quite early to be starting such a thread, but for those of us looking to crack on with application requirements during the summer, this thread might be useful! Also, I'm pretty darned excited, which I think is a perfect excuse.

Looking to do the MPhil in Medieval History, college yet undecided. Anyone else looking to apply? What/Where for?

Holly x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by holly_1994
Hi!

I know there is a thread entitled 'Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry', but I thought it might be useful to start a 2017 entry thread for those of us wanting to apply this coming autumn/academic year.

This might seem quite early to be starting such a thread, but for those of us looking to crack on with application requirements during the summer, this thread might be useful! Also, I'm pretty darned excited, which I think is a perfect excuse.

Looking to do the MPhil in Medieval History, college yet undecided. Anyone else looking to apply? What/Where for?

Holly x

Hi, great job. I also just created a thread titled 'The Official 2017 Cambridge Mphil Application Thread' yesterday. However, I think I'll stick with yours. I'm applying for Mphil Development studies. I'll post the message I left in my thread here. Good luck!!!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Hello all prospective Cambridge 2017 Mphil applicants. Congrats on your wise decision to study at one of the World's best Institutions. You've indeed made a bold move. The next application cycle begins early September which is barely 2 months away.

It's a wise decision to start getting our application materials together. In addition to undergraduate transcripts, personal statements and recommendation letters, some of the Mphil courses require CVs, research proposals and writing samples. For non-native English speakers, IELTS or TOEFL is required. We could start making arrangements to obtain our transcripts and reference letters from our professors. We could also start now to build our personal statements and academic CVs. For those who would be needing writing samples, research proposals and language tests, it's time to start preparing.

Getting into Cambridge for a postgraduate programme can be quite competitive. However our manner of approach towards the application procedure could just guarantee us a spot on our choice course.

I'll keep updating this thread and providing detailed explanations about the stages in the application process, funding opportunities & timelines, minimum admission requirements, College picks, etc. Please feel free to leave your comments and questions. You may also want to include a brief profile and the programme you are applying to. I wish you guys all the best
Reply 3
Original post by Nnamdi Chukwuogo
Hi, great job. I also just created a thread titled 'The Official 2017 Cambridge Mphil Application Thread' yesterday. However, I think I'll stick with yours. I'm applying for Mphil Development studies. I'll post the message I left in my thread here. Good luck!!!

Hi Nnamdi!

Ah thank you! What colleges have you been looking at so far? Found any suitable supervisors? :smile:
Reply 4
Hi Nnamdi!

Ah thank you! What colleges have you been looking at so far? Found any suitable supervisors? :smile:

I'm looking at Corpus Christi, Pembroke & St. John's. I'm still looking up the research interests of the staff in my department so I can find the perfect supervisor.

Please could you provide your brief profile (i.e Undergrad School/GPA/work experience, etc) Are you submitting a research proposal for your course?
Reply 5
Might be applying to MPhil Chemistry (Organic)

Not so sure yet.
Reply 6
Original post by Nnamdi Chukwuogo
I'm looking at Corpus Christi, Pembroke & St. John's. I'm still looking up the research interests of the staff in my department so I can find the perfect supervisor.

Please could you provide your brief profile (i.e Undergrad School/GPA/work experience, etc) Are you submitting a research proposal for your course?

Lovely choice of colleges. I'm currently doing a BA Hons in History at Queen Mary, London, and I am still trying to secure work experience. Yes I have to submit a research proposal which I'm currently working on. You?
Reply 7
Original post by Cobalt_
Might be applying to MPhil Chemistry (Organic)

Not so sure yet.

Where are you studying at the minute? :smile:
Reply 8
Lovely choice of colleges. I'm currently doing a BA Hons in History at Queen Mary, London, and I am still trying to secure work experience. Yes I have to submit a research proposal which I'm currently working on. You?

International Student, Studied Economics at Undergrad, GPA 4.94/5. Former Campus Ambassador for Bank of America Merrill Lynch at my Uni. Graduated last year & currently a columnist for a weekly newspaper. I'm applying to Mphil. Development Studies. The course doesn't require a research proposal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi all!

I'm going for the MPhil Theoretical and Applied Linguistics. I'm from Germany so might have to see what Brexit has in store for us EU students... Oh and I'm still currently finishing off my undergraduate atm.
Where are you studying at the minute? :smile:

I dont really give out my uni as people would definitively find me aha.

However its an RG uni. Ill PM you if you want to know :biggrin:
Reply 11
Folks, you might be interested in this based on a FOI request found on whatdotheyknow...

Most popular universities attended prior to applying to any Masters at Cambridge
1. Cambridge : 7.6% of all applicants previously attended this university
2. UCL : 3.0%
3. Oxford : 2.3%
4. Imperial : 1.9%
5. Warwick : 1.9%
6. LSE : 1.8%
7. Manchester : 1.3%
8. Durham : 1.2%
9. Nottingham : 1.1%
10. Harvard : 1.1%
11. KCL : 1.0%
12. Edinburgh : 1.0%
13. York : 0.9%
14. Liverpool : 0.8%
15. Birmingham : 0.8%
16. Bristol : 0.7%
17. Peking : 0.7%
18. Hong Kong : 0.6%
19. Exeter : 0.6%
20. St Andrews : 0.6%

Source: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Folks, you might be interested in this based on a FOI request found on whatdotheyknow...

Most popular universities attended prior to applying to any Masters at Cambridge
3. Oxford : 2.3% ...

Which on a quick tot up is only about 31% of places, suggesting an extremely diverse student population, by no means just coming from Oxbridge or RG universities.
Reply 13
Original post by threeportdrift
Which on a quick tot up is only about 31% of places, suggesting an extremely diverse student population, by no means just coming from Oxbridge or RG universities.

Indeed, there's over 4,000 different institutions listed in total. And over 500 have 10 applicants or more (across 4 years of data).

And this further analysis of Offer Holders may also be of interest. Cambridge applicants are more likely to receive an Offer for a Masters. Oxford moves up to 2nd place from 3rd by this measure. And Harvard applicants have a good success rate, moving up to 4th place from 10th.

Prior universities for Masters applicants receiving an Offer from Cambridge

1. Cambridge : 15.9% of offer holders went to this university
2. Oxford : 3.4%
3. UCL : 3.1%
4. Harvard : 1.9%
5. Warwick : 1.8%
6. Imperial : 1.7%
7. LSE : 1.5%
9. KCL : 1.2%
10. Manchester : 1.2%
11. Edinburgh : 1.1%
12. Princeton : 1.0%
14. Yale : 0.8%
15. Nottingham : 0.8%
16. St Andrews : 0.7%
17. Trinity College Dublin : 0.7%
18. Melbourne : 0.6%
19. Birmingham : 0.6%
20. Bristol : 0.6%
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

3. Oxford : 2.3%
4. Imperial : 1.9%
5. Warwick : 1.9%
6. LSE : 1.8%
7. Manchester : 1.3%
9. Nottingham : 1.1%
10. Harvard : 1.1%
11. KCL : 1.0%
12. Edinburgh : 1.0%
14. Liverpool : 0.8%
15. Birmingham : 0.8%
16. Bristol : 0.7%
17. Peking : 0.7%
18. Hong Kong : 0.6%
19. Exeter : 0.6%
20. St Andrews : 0.6%

Source: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would be interesting to see if ranked the universities for application/offer rates!
Reply 15
Original post by maliese
Hi all!

I'm going for the MPhil Theoretical and Applied Linguistics. I'm from Germany so might have to see what Brexit has in store for us EU students... Oh and I'm still currently finishing off my undergraduate atm.

Hi. Don't worry too much about BREXIT. Here's what the Cambridge Vice Chancellor had to say about it:

www.queens.cam.ac.uk/life-at-queens/news-and-events/university-vice-chancellors-message-in-wake-of-brexit
Reply 16
Jumping into this thread! I'm applying for the American History MPhil, currently at Edinburgh Uni studying History and English (with a year abroad in the US) :smile:*
Reply 17
Original post by Capricancer
Would be interesting to see if ranked the universities for application/offer rates!

Your wish is my command :smile:

NB. I've filtered it for universities with at least 100 applicants to Cambridge since 2013

# : University : Offer Rate
1 : Cambridge : 76.1%
2 : MIT : 73.0%
3 : Princeton : 70.9%
4 : Harvard : 62.9%
5 : Brown : 62.6%
6 : Stanford : 58.8%
7 : Oxford : 53.4%
8 : U Pennsylvania : 51.8%
9 : Melbourne : 51.4%
10 : Columbia : 50.6%
11 : Chicago : 50.0%
12 : Sydney : 49.2%
13 : Trinity College Dublin : 48.7%
14 : National University of Singapore : 47.8%
15 : NYU : 46.0%
16 : Cape Town : 44.7%
17 : Cornell : 44.0%
18 : UC Berkeley : 43.5%
19 : St Andrews : 42.6%
20 : McGill : 42.0%
21 : KCL : 41.1%
22 : Edinburgh : 40.4%
23 : Sussex : 39.6%
24 : SOAS : 38.3%
25 : UCL : 37.3%
26 : Durham : 37.2%
27 : British Columbia : 34.4%
28 : Newcastle : 34.1%
29 : Imperial : 33.5%
30 : Leeds : 33.5%
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys! I'll be applying for the MPhil in Biological Sciences (Genetics), currently studying at a northern RG uni (trying not to give too much away). Just finished my second year with a 2:1 (64%), and will also be published hopefully by September (expecting mid-author publication) in my field of interest. Also have research experience in a computational biology/population genetics lab. Haven't decided on colleges or anything yet. Really looking forward to see this thread pick up!
Original post by jneill
Your wish is my command :smile:

NB. I've filtered it for universities with at least 100 applicants to Cambridge since 2013

# : University : Offer Rate
1 : Cambridge : 76.1%
2 : MIT : 73.0%
3 : Princeton : 70.9%
4 : Harvard : 62.9%
5 : Brown : 62.6%
6 : Stanford : 58.8%
7 : Oxford : 53.4%
8 : U Pennsylvania : 51.8%
9 : Melbourne : 51.4%
10 : Columbia : 50.6%
11 : Chicago : 50.0%
12 : Sydney : 49.2%
13 : Trinity College Dublin : 48.7%
14 : National University of Singapore : 47.8%
15 : NYU : 46.0%
16 : Cape Town : 44.7%
17 : Cornell : 44.0%
18 : UC Berkeley : 43.5%
19 : St Andrews : 42.6%
20 : McGill : 42.0%
21 : KCL : 41.1%
22 : Edinburgh : 40.4%
23 : Sussex : 39.6%
24 : SOAS : 38.3%
25 : UCL : 37.3%
26 : Durham : 37.2%
27 : British Columbia : 34.4%
28 : Newcastle : 34.1%
29 : Imperial : 33.5%
30 : Leeds : 33.5%

Ah so for UK universities:
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. KCL
5. Edinburgh
6. Sussex
7. SOAS
8. UCL
9. Durham
10. Newcastle
11. Imperial
12. Leeds

I'm quite surprised to see Sussex so high tbh, but really interesting!

So have unis like LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, York, Nottingham etc. not had >100 applications since 2013? I'm even more surprised by this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending