The Student Room Group

Worth Commuting Long Distance to Work?

So I am a graduate, spent the last 4 years studying I.T, and I have been luckily enough to land 2 jobs at once. 1 job is a part time job at a local retail shop, about a 15 minute walk each way. The 2nd job is a Service Desk Analyst job in another, but close city. According to an online journey planner, The commute from door-to-door will be around 1 hour and 30 mins each way, depending on traffic and any transport delays (I should note I'll be using public transport, Trains and Buses).

Normally I would look look at this commute and instantly think no, however this is the first opportunity to get a job in the career I want to go in, and god knows how long until the next opportunity will come along. I really want this job, but I'm just not sure if the job is worth the commute. I am learning to drive, and when I'm able to drive the commute will only be about 40 minutes.

I've asked friends and family and I've gotten a mixed response. Can I get any opinions from your guys? Thanks!
Original post by KyStark
So I am a graduate, spent the last 4 years studying I.T, and I have been luckily enough to land 2 jobs at once. 1 job is a part time job at a local retail shop, about a 15 minute walk each way. The 2nd job is a Service Desk Analyst job in another, but close city. According to an online journey planner, The commute from door-to-door will be around 1 hour and 30 mins each way, depending on traffic and any transport delays (I should note I'll be using public transport, Trains and Buses).

Normally I would look look at this commute and instantly think no, however this is the first opportunity to get a job in the career I want to go in, and god knows how long until the next opportunity will come along. I really want this job, but I'm just not sure if the job is worth the commute. I am learning to drive, and when I'm able to drive the commute will only be about 40 minutes.

I've asked friends and family and I've gotten a mixed response. Can I get any opinions from your guys? Thanks!

I personally would get my foot on the ladder with the job in IT. Your issue here is the commute is ridiculous and it will begin to tire you, especially after working a long day (it adds 3 hours to an 8/9 hour shift making it 11/12 hours long including the long commute without traffic). But once you have the job start saving up for a car, and by all means continue looking around for other jobs as well.
Can you not move to the other city eventually? If you could - I'd take the job and just commute until then.

One of my friends last job was an hour and a half away. She took bus, train, tram. Was insane!

Maybe you could do a tester of the commute before you start to see what it feels like? In my last job I was an hour away from home. That wasn't too bad when you have an iPod :smile:
Personal choice and depends how well you adapt. You could do it for a year and then reassess whether you can hack it , but you will have more experience and money. I would seriously look at moving closer though because it cna be very draining. I would also assess how stable the job was. Id take the commute job and try it .
Original post by KyStark
...................!

Start a career! There are far more options both in terms of travel and career with the IT job.
I think that commute is doable if you think it is a really good opportunity. However, it would be painful and it is too large a proportion of my day to sustain long term. In the end, I would find a job nearer or move. If it will open a lot lot of doors and if you don't have many other options, it is worth taking the pain.
Reply 6
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Can you not move to the other city eventually? If you could - I'd take the job and just commute until then.

One of my friends last job was an hour and a half away. She took bus, train, tram. Was insane!

Maybe you could do a tester of the commute before you start to see what it feels like? In my last job I was an hour away from home. That wasn't too bad when you have an iPod :smile:

So I have a friend who goes to university in the same city, he lives in a shared house, I think there is room's going so if I want I could always live in a shared house.
Reply 7
Original post by Natalierm2707
I personally would get my foot on the ladder with the job in IT. Your issue here is the commute is ridiculous and it will begin to tire you, especially after working a long day (it adds 3 hours to an 8/9 hour shift making it 11/12 hours long including the long commute without traffic). But once you have the job start saving up for a car, and by all means continue looking around for other jobs as well.

Yeah that is the issue. The commute itself doesnt really bother me as I'll find ways to entertain myself with books etc. Its just thinking the commute turns a 9 hour day into a 12 hour day and in the long run that may or may not bother me. I can start off at the company and if I enjoy it maybe look into renting a shared house or something at the city and just come home on the weekends.
Reply 8
Original post by Sternumator
I think that commute is doable if you think it is a really good opportunity. However, it would be painful and it is too large a proportion of my day to sustain long term. In the end, I would find a job nearer or move. If it will open a lot lot of doors and if you don't have many other options, it is worth taking the pain.

I've been looking for I.T jobs since september, whilst I was still studying. There is a severe lack of I.T jobs in my home city, however there are tons in other cities close to mine. I could sit and wait for a job to appear that is more local to me. However I think I'll start off with the long commute and look into maybe renting a shared house.
Original post by KyStark
I've been looking for I.T jobs since september, whilst I was still studying. There is a severe lack of I.T jobs in my home city, however there are tons in other cities close to mine. I could sit and wait for a job to appear that is more local to me. However I think I'll start off with the long commute and look into maybe renting a shared house.

Definitely don't sit and wait. You might be waiting a long time.

I think you have a good plan. I wouldn't move and incur all that cost without seeing if you like the job first.

Commute and apply for jobs in your home town when they come up.

May be you will love the job and move city or you can find a job in your home town or you can pass your driving test, 40mins is a standard commute, or may be you don't even mind the hour and a half.
Original post by KyStark

Any reason why you can't look at places to live in this other city now? Either way go for the IT job, it would be crazy to turn it down IMO.
Reply 11
Original post by jelly1000
Any reason why you can't look at places to live in this other city now? Either way go for the IT job, it would be crazy to turn it down IMO.

I've literally just finished my course, living at home with about £50 in my bank.
Original post by KyStark
I've literally just finished my course, living at home with about £50 in my bank.

Ah fair enough, in that case I'd say commute and unless you are likely to pass your test soon, move out when you can afford to.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest