The Student Room Group

How do you feel about the hyper-sexual society we live in?

In fact, how do you feel about society in general?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's done anything but objectify women. Society is kinda messed up these days*
Reply 2
Original post by queen-bee
I don't think it's done anything but objectify women. Society is kinda messed up these days*

I agree. I just see so much contradiction everywhere and in what is deemed acceptable in society and what isn't. I can't think of any examples at the top of my head but its just crazy.

Original post by hilrho
I agree. I just see so much contradiction everywhere and in what is deemed acceptable in society and what isn't. I can't think of any examples at the top of my head but its just crazy.

Say that to the women who very much enjoy their sexuality.

In other cultures they'd never, ever, be able to embrace such. The pleasure in their lives far lesser.
Reply 4
[video="youtube;A9TD5vlm4dE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TD5vlm4dE[/video]
Original post by TorpidPhil

In other cultures they'd never, ever, be able to embrace such. The pleasure in their lives far lesser.

I was raised in a Christian household and tbh I don't really care what people decide to do in their own private lives. It's a good thing they're embracing their sexuality*
What hyper-sexual society?
Reply 7
Do you mean 'sexualised'?

The want/need to be attractive to the opposite sex (and have a chance of reproducing) is a very powerful force. It influences a person's behaviour in so many ways.

Advertisers exploit this. Sex sells. They have played a big part in creating this.
Original post by hilrho
In fact, how do you feel about society in general?

i feel though as i finish a fap my lust levels go all the way down to -100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Reply 9

No it hasnt. Now go and be useful
Reply 10
Original post by stefano865
Do you mean 'sexualised'?

The want/need to be attractive to the opposite sex (and have a chance of reproducing) is a very powerful force. It influences a person's behaviour in so many ways.

Advertisers exploit this. Sex sells. They have played a big part in creating this.

Yeah thats what I mean - guess I said it wrong then. But yeah, everywhere I look its sex sex and more sex! Just sex everywhere. I remember being 8 and biggest concern being if mummy will buy me that new toy I want and now I see 7 year olds telling their parents they're gay or transgender or something. Like how do you even know that at that age?! I didn't know I'm bisexual until I was like 16/17. It's not that im against people enjoying their sexuality as someone above seems to think, its that theres just so much sex everywhere and children aren't children anymore. And then speaking of society in general, I don't know about other places but I barely see kids playing hopscotch at the park here, or playing with their jumping ropes or the jungle jim. All I see are a bunch of whiney kids asking their mum or dad to hand them their iPads etc. It honestly just depresses me and puts me off of having kids of my own.
Original post by hilrho
Yeah thats what I mean - guess I said it wrong then. But yeah, everywhere I look its sex sex and more sex! Just sex everywhere. I remember being 8 and biggest concern being if mummy will buy me that new toy I want and now I see 7 year olds telling their parents they're gay or transgender or something. Like how do you even know that at that age?! I didn't know I'm bisexual until I was like 16/17. It's not that im against people enjoying their sexuality as someone above seems to think, its that theres just so much sex everywhere and children aren't children anymore. And then speaking of society in general, I don't know about other places but I barely see kids playing hopscotch at the park here, or playing with their jumping ropes or the jungle jim. All I see are a bunch of whiney kids asking their mum or dad to hand them their iPads etc. It honestly just depresses me and puts me off of having kids of my own.

I don't think that's due to our sexualised culture.

I think that's post-modern culture in general. It's a lot more than just sexuality. There's the access to internet which is giving them loads of new information. Drinking starts earlier. Going to clubs does. Learning about mature stuff in general... It's a post-modern trait that is totally unrelated to a sexualised culture. I'm sure in Japan kids still 'grow up fast' despite their pretty downright prudish culture.

Concerning the other blatantly non-sexual issues you're having. Video games/TV/youtube are far more enjoyable than games in the park. So I'm happy our kids can live better lives that way. I would however make it very important for them to meet with folks to speak to them in person though, even if they aren't doing it outside. Martial arts, paint-balling, that sort of stuff. My son will be indoctrinated into doing it from youth. I do think that is important to maintain. Don't want them to become an overly insecure, unsocial freak.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil

Dressing skimpy is not okay, as women wear next to nothing.
I don't know what female have done to part take in their objectification :dontknow:
Society is f***** up.
(edited 7 years ago)
From using TSR I get the impression that everybody is either Muslim/pro-Islam while at the same time being obsessed with sex and relationships.

But Allah tells me there isn't a contradiction so I guess it's all okay. :2euk48l:
I think it's a good thing and if people of both genders didn't like it, it would not have turned out this way.
Original post by Bros R Us
but bro, aren't you that contradictory person: your a muslim but always flirting and sexualising yourself, acting horny ? You can't really criticise society for that if your one of the main contributors sis :dontknow:

anyway I don't think society is too over sexualised, it's not like every other poster and advert you see is about sex that's just a myth. most of what we see isn't to do with sex at all. just sayin

Woah that was weird. You beat me. It's like you knew what I was thinking :lolwut:
I think we've always been obsessed. Back in the day people were obsessed with whether you've had sex or not, a woman's virginity (What? Pregnant out of wedlock? You whore, scum of the earth!" How you have sex, and whether a penis is meant to go up the ******* or not. Human morality was pretty much graded on a scale of "Missionary position in marriage only" to "I'm Homosexual"

And now we have cultures where the opposite genders don't interact with each other at all outside of the family, just in case they end up having sex.

Not sure which one I prefer tbh!
Or perhaps:

A bigger problem is the obsession with female chastity before and during marriage. There's a double standard... We see sex as being thrown onto young women but if a young man decides to start becoming sexually active etc. we rarely think anything of it.

Let people do as they please - if they want sex and are old enough let them.

Quick Reply