The Student Room Group

Is this A-Level subjects combination possible?

I wish to take the following subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Economics. Is this combination manageable? I know it's uncommon to take 6 subjects but I'm willing to put in effort. I have reasons for wanting to take all these subjects (need Maths, Physics and Chemistry because I want to do engineering, need Further because I'm participating in an Olympiad where a lot of mathematical knowledge is required, and similarly specific reasons for the other two as well).

I know top UK unis only ask for 3-4 subjects but I'm not from the UK and I'm not applying to UK unis. I'm applying to top US colleges that value rigorous academics. BTW my GCSE (O-Level) predicted grades are 12A* 2A (although I know that GCSE performance is not really indicative of A-Level performance).

So yeah, will I be able to manage this? And how hard will I have to work to maintain As/A*s? Like how many hours per day of studying? Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

6 subjects is far too much - especially with history and economics where the workload is huge - even the brightest people struggle with 4 - drop history and economics seeing as they have no relevance to emgineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 5audade
I wish to take the following subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Economics. Is this combination manageable? I know it's uncommon to take 6 subjects but I'm willing to put in effort. I have reasons for wanting to take all these subjects (need Maths, Physics and Chemistry because I want to do engineering, need Further because I'm participating in an Olympiad where a lot of mathematical knowledge is required, and similarly specific reasons for the other two as well).

I know top UK unis only ask for 3-4 subjects but I'm not from the UK and I'm not applying to UK unis. I'm applying to top US colleges that value rigorous academics. BTW my GCSE (O-Level) predicted grades are 12A* 2A (although I know that GCSE performance is not really indicative of A-Level performance).

So yeah, will I be able to manage this? And how hard will I have to work to maintain As/A*s? Like how many hours per day of studying? Thank you!

Four is plenty and I strongly advise you to NOT do more than this. I teach in a selective school and we now don't allow anyone [even those with straight A*s at GCSE] to take more than 4.

The new linear specs mean exams just in Year 13 - apart from Maths which has not changed yet - please don't put your future at risk.
You won't be able to do 6.
Even if you're capable, I don't think it would be a good idea. Doing six A levels won't guarantee you a place in a good uni.
Original post by 5audade

unless you want to do chemical engineering, you don't need to do chemistry. Other engineering courses just need physics. Do 5 at the very max (but 4 is fine)

6 is just unnecessary

if you're actually serious about US unis, doing 6 will take away your time from doing other worthwhile extracurriculars which you will NEED for applying competitively to top us unis
You will not be able to manage the workload. I advice against it.
Reply 7
Original post by 5audade

If you took all sciences, maths and further maths I'd say go for it.
But 6 subjects with two essay subjects and 4 sciences?? Completely unnecessary and you won't even have a life outside of A levels if you chose to do so many. Literally don't see the point? I took 7 myself but two of them I didn't even have to revise for (general studies+mothers tongue so obv why would I need to revise) and 5 was more than enough as they were sciences.

Also all my friends who took history said its hell to take that subject alone, plus all your other a levels on top. Just do the ones you need for the engineering course and forget the economics and history
Reply 8
Original post by 5audade

Heya Im doing History, Maths, Economics and Geography full A-levels in 3 months and hoping to get A*s or As. I am also homeschooled and self-taught so it definitely is possible. If I can do 4 on my own in such a small amount of time, you can do 6 in 2 years WITH teachers (Im assuming you go to school :smile:)!

But like you said you must be willing to put in the effort, and sometimes this means having a a nearly non-existent social life. I hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 9
Guys I go to an uber competitive private South Asian school. Here everybody who is serious about US unis (think Ivy League), takes at least 5 subjects. Often 6. I'm not trying to be arrogant; I admit that you guys probably know more about A Levels than I do. But if they can do it, why not me? (For example a guy from my school who got into Harvard in 2014 took 6 subs including FM. He managed to maintain As and A*s throughout and ended up with 3A* 2A 1B in his final A-Level exams).
I think you could do it, OP. You have a stellar GCSE performance, and you've got that magical academic ability that only foreigners seem to have. Plus you have a reason to want to do 5.

It's usually doable if you're focusing on STEM subjects. History might be the one you struggle with though. Might be better to not do History and just do 5.
Reply 11
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I think you could do it, OP. You have a stellar GCSE performance, and you've got that magical academic ability that only foreigners seem to have. Plus you have a reason to want to do 5.

It's usually doable if you're focusing on STEM subjects. History might be the one you struggle with though. Might be better to not do History and just do 5.

Hahaha thank you for your confidence in my abilities, although I assure you there's no magic involved :P

Could you elaborate on why History will be a bad choice? Some other people have also recommended against it (someone even told me it's as difficult as two subjects combined). Also, do you think it would be manageable if I drop Econ and keep History (+ the 4 others)? The reason I want History is that it's a respected essay subject and a 'pure' humanities subject to balance out my otherwise sciencey combo. Econ is not really humanities, more like social science.
Reply 12
You'll struggle preparing for standardised tests and writing your essays. Seriously, focus on 4 A levels and acing the SAT/ACT.

You don't need 6 A levels to get into good colleges - someone I know recently got into Cornell with 4, and only 3 of them were STEM.
Original post by 5audade
Guys I go to an uber competitive private South Asian school. Here everybody who is serious about US unis (think Ivy League), takes at least 5 subjects. Often 6. I'm not trying to be arrogant; I admit that you guys probably know more about A Levels than I do. But if they can do it, why not me? (For example a guy from my school who got into Harvard in 2014 took 6 subs including FM. He managed to maintain As and A*s throughout and ended up with 3A* 2A 1B in his final A-Level exams).

These were MODULAR A levels which mostly aren;t still around now - listen to people who know!

In the past people did do more but not now - the Harvard guy could have got 4 A*s which would look much better.
Reply 14
Clever student but soulless
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
These were MODULAR A levels which mostly aren;t still around now - listen to people who know!

In the past people did do more but not now - the Harvard guy could have got 4 A*s which would look much better.

Our board is CIE. We still have modular exams (AS then A2).
You don't need 6 a levels! It's too much and you're just going to put yourself through unessccasary stress due to too much of a work load. If you haven't done a levels you don't understand the actual sheer amount of work it takes for just one a level! It is much greater than GCSE and I mean MUCH greater!!!
You only need 3 a levels, maybe 4 but no more!!!!
Would you prefer 3 or 4 great results or 6 not so good ones?
If you take a smaller number of subjects it means you can do better in them and have more time to do them. You'll probably have a better chance getting into the top unis with 4 great a level results than 6 lower results and you will not be able to do as good when taking six.
I do engineering I get called out for doing English literature and no one else has an essay subject, you don't need it so don't put yourself through it!
Have you looked at a level syllabuses? You need to get a good idea of how much content is in an a level!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 5audade
Our board is CIE. We still have modular exams (AS then A2).

OK but 4 A*s is the best to aim for not what the guy you quote got.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
OK but 4 A*s is the best to aim for not what the guy you quote got.

Yeah but the way the US admissions process works, you get your acceptances BEFORE the final A Level result (somewhere around April of A2). So theoretically that guy could've just gotten decent-ish grades (As and some Bs) and still have gone to Harvard. US offers are not conditional unless your final result is REALLY BAD. So in effect the only grades that matter are AS finals and A2 mid-terms.
Reply 19
Original post by Lkathryn08
You don't need 6 a levels! It's too much and you're just going to put yourself through unessccasary stress due to too much of a work load. If you haven't done a levels you don't understand the actual sheer amount of work it takes for just one a level! It is much greater than GCSE and I mean MUCH greater!!!
You only need 3 a levels, maybe 4 but no more!!!!
Would you prefer 3 or 4 great results or 6 not so good ones?
If you take a smaller number of subjects it means you can do better in them and have more time to do them. You'll probably have a better chance getting into the top unis with 4 great a level results than 6 lower results and you will not be able to do as good when taking six.
I do engineering I get called out for doing English literature and no one else has an essay subject, you don't need it so don't put yourself through it!
Have you looked at a level syllabuses? You need to get a good idea of how much content is in an a level!

This seems to be the general consensus. I guess you guys are right. I'll reconsider my choices. Might drop History or Economics, maybe both. I'll be getting used books for some A Level subjects soon that I'll go through to get an idea of how tough it is, and then decide accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest