The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE Predictions be enough to get into Oxford?

My predictions are:
Latin Language - A*
Latin Literature - A, perhaps an A*
Spanish - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths -A, most likely an A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Chemistry - A, potentially an A*
Physics - A*
Biology - A*
Geography - A
RS - A

These are low predictions, incase something goes wrong in the exams.

I'm just worried that since they're not all A*s, there will be better candidates than myself, and so my application may be discarded.

I will be applying for either Law or Maths (will have decided by the end of next year, since I have time to decide, due to the fact that I haven't yet sat my GCSE's).

Any advice (studying, or in relation to Oxford) would also be greatly appreciated 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
I would recommend you stop worrying. The don't throw away any application. You've got a good set of grades there to get into Oxbridge.
Why would your GCSE predictions matter? By the time you apply you should have your results plus A level predictions, unless I'm missing something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're are fine as long as your A Levels, personal statement and interview performance are all good too.
Original post by BobBobson
I would recommend you stop worrying. The don't throw away any application. You've got a good set of grades there to get into Oxbridge.

Thanks!
Surely your predictions don't mean anything? It's the results you get in August that matter and even then, anything above 7-8 A* is absolutely fine. They don't really care about GCSEs beyond that.
Those grades seem fine. When I went to an Oxford Conference on Monday 11 July, 12 undergraduate mentors came in and one who went to study Eng Lit at Oxford said she had a few Bs at GCSE. A-Levels are main...and also work experience, personal statement+interview. They look at your GCSEs but as a sidenote (especially if your A-Levels are good they are likely to not take heed of GCSEs so much).
Original post by lidso
As long as you get 7/8 A*s it should be fine to be honest. Also, A Levels (and their equivalent) are taken into account more than GCSEs.

Just keep reading and exploring the subjects you want to take, as that knowledge will show genuine interest and make you stand out more than the grades that a lot of other applicants will be getting.

Thank you. My headmaster suggested the same, and has lent me a few maths and classics books to study over the holidays 😊
Original post by Chloe21912
My predictions are:
Latin Language - A*
Latin Literature - A*
Spanish - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A, potentially an A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Physics - A*
Biology - A
Geography - A
RS - A

I'm just worried that since they're not all A*s, there will be better candidates than myself, and so my application may be discarded.

I will be applying for either Classics, Law or Maths (will have decided by the end of next year, since I have time to decide, due to the fact that I haven't yet sat my GCSE's).

Any advice (studying, or in relation to Oxford) would also be greatly appreciated 😊

As long as you're not applying for medicine GCSEs mean very little - provided, of course, that they're not abysmally bad, i.e. if you have no As.

What is much more important is your interview and A level predictions, many with a full set of A*s at GCSEs gets rejected by Oxbridge and many who do not have the best GCSEs get offers.
These arent enough, you need at least 20 A*s to get into oxford.
Reply 10
My predictions are:
Latin Language - A*
Latin Literature - A*
Spanish - A*
Maths - A*
Further Maths - A, potentially an A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Physics - A*
Biology - A
Geography - A
RS - A

I will be applying for either Classics, Law or Maths (will have decided by the end of next year, since I have time to decide, due to the fact that I haven't yet sat my GCSE's).

Change those "potentially" grades to A* and you will look much stronger. Push for one A* in the English subjects. You're grades are very good although A-Level predictions mean much more (as well as application, further exams such as UKCAT/BMAT and your interview)

Just a quick question: Are you taking the new GCSE examinations for Maths and English?
Reply 11
All A*s, with several As being the worst case scenario? Nah fam there's no way
Those grades are complete rubbish, to get into any Oxbridge university, you need:

At least 27 A*s, don't even think about getting an A or your application will get rejected immediately.

Complete commitment to your subject, the only way you can demonstrate this is by locking yourself in your room and revising 24/7 until 15th October. Don't forget to record every second of that.

They also expect you to have at least 16 extracurricular activities, including windsurfing on Saturday mornings and deep space exploration on Sunday evenings.

You need reliable references, they expect at least one reference from Stephen Hawking and another from a professor from the university. Anything less and guaranteed rejection.

They also require you to have no friends, to get used to the rigorous academic environment you're going into. That means you no longer can talk to any other human being for the rest of your life or your application gets rejected. You'd think I'm joking but UCAS knows everything.

Anyways, best of luck with your application, even though your GCSEs look horrible.

(PS I got 32 A*s for GCSE, with only a weeks revision)

Spoiler

Original post by umar39
Change those "potentially" grades to A* and you will look much stronger. Push for one A* in the English subjects. You're grades are very good although A-Level predictions mean much more (as well as application, further exams such as UKCAT/BMAT and your interview)

Just a quick question: Are you taking the new GCSE examinations for Maths and English?

Yes. Im going for a 9 (top grade) in maths, and my english teacher says that i should get an 8 in eng lang and a 9 in lit, however id rather say im going to get lower grades, simply on the off-chance that something goes horribly wrong during the exams.
Reply 14
Yes. Im going for a 9 (top grade) in maths, and my english teacher says that i should get an 8 in eng lang and a 9 in lit, however id rather say im going to get lower grades, simply on the off-chance that something goes horribly wrong during the exams.

You shouldn't be too worried Chloe. As a student who will also sit my GCSE exams next year it's great to see someone with grades similar to mine.

All the best with getting those grades. :h:
Original post by umar39
You shouldn't be too worried Chloe. As a student who will also sit my GCSE exams next year it's great to see someone with grades similar to mine.

All the best with getting those grades. :h:

Thank you, and to you too! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending